Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

they have an orange hefe recipe at brewer's connection:

http://brewersconnec...pes/Mandies.htm

but it doesn't use real oranges!!

Hey, Jacki, post the orange liqueur recipe if you would please. We also have an orange tree and a lemon tree, and both are so totally full or fruit this year and I have no idea what to do with them, especially the lemons.

I would gladly take lemons/oranges off your hands. I do a bit of cooking myself and could use some. Was perhaps thinking of making lemon curd or lemon marmalade.

#377 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

Rad! i also have white grapefruits as well! They are good but i can't eat all the fruit that my yard produces, so i will gladly give away oranges and grapefruits.

I made a limoncello receipe a few years ago and it turned out rad so i am just going to substitute the lemons with oranges for my orancello receipe.

I used this receipe:
15-20 lemons

2 (750-ml) bottles of Everclear (must use the purest alcohol you can find, because it won't have any sugar in it and won't add unwanted flavors to the batch)

4-6 cups water

2-4 cups sugar (more if you want it thicker or sweeter)

a 2-3 litre glass jar with a sealed lid. The jar should be washed and sterilized. (old sun tea jars, etc. you could probably even use a brewing bucket. Glass works best though)

Step 1

Wash and dry the lemons. Only use the ones without blemished peels or pare off any spots and the stems, ends.

Remove the peel from the lemons with a sharp peeler or fine grater, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. If any white pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off. If you get any of the white part in the batch, the limoncello will be bitter.
Put the peels in a glass jar and add the Everclear about two inches below the top and seal tightly.

Leave the jar to steep in a cool, dark place until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks. I left mine out way longer (like 3 months) but it turned out really good. Every couple of weeks swirl the peels around in the jar to mix up the oils in the alcohol.

Put the water and sugar in a saucepan, stir and slowly boil until it turns clear. Let the syrup cool
Put the cooled syrup in the jar with the lemons (you might have to divide the batch into two jars at this point, depending on the size of your jar).

Put the jars back in the closet for at least two weeks. Longer is fine too.

Strain out the lemon peels through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and pour the limoncello into another container. Press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels before tossing them in the trash.

Stir the liquid with a clean plastic or wooden spoon.

Put the liqueur in clean bottles, seal tightly and leave the finished bottles for at least 1 week before using.

For best flavor and drinking it straight, store the limoncello in the freezer. It shouldn't freeze because of how much alcohol is in it and it's wonderful ice cold on hot summer night.
The bottles keep for a long time, i had several that i just finished like last year that i had made 3 or so years ago and they make good gifts too! I used old lemonade bottles from Trader Joe's - the kind with the Kolsch-bottle-like lids but in litre size.

So i am just gonna use oranges instead of lemons. Also the more sugar you use, the thicker (and sweeter) the end result will be.

This receipe is good because after you use the peel from the fruit, you can use the fruit for juice or to eat or whatevs, so you utilize all parts of the fruit!

#378 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Rad! i also have white grapefruits as well! They are good but i can't eat all the fruit that my yard produces, so i will gladly give away oranges and grapefruits.

I made a limoncello receipe a few years ago and it turned out rad so i am just going to substitute the lemons with oranges for my orancello receipe.

I used this receipe:
15-20 lemons

2 (750-ml) bottles of Everclear (must use the purest alcohol you can find, because it won't have any sugar in it and won't add unwanted flavors to the batch)

4-6 cups water

2-4 cups sugar (more if you want it thicker or sweeter)

a 2-3 litre glass jar with a sealed lid. The jar should be washed and sterilized. (old sun tea jars, etc. you could probably even use a brewing bucket. Glass works best though)

Step 1

Wash and dry the lemons. Only use the ones without blemished peels or pare off any spots and the stems, ends.

Remove the peel from the lemons with a sharp peeler or fine grater, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. If any white pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off. If you get any of the white part in the batch, the limoncello will be bitter.
Put the peels in a glass jar and add the Everclear about two inches below the top and seal tightly.

Leave the jar to steep in a cool, dark place until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks. I left mine out way longer (like 3 months) but it turned out really good. Every couple of weeks swirl the peels around in the jar to mix up the oils in the alcohol.

Put the water and sugar in a saucepan, stir and slowly boil until it turns clear. Let the syrup cool
Put the cooled syrup in the jar with the lemons (you might have to divide the batch into two jars at this point, depending on the size of your jar).

Put the jars back in the closet for at least two weeks. Longer is fine too.

Strain out the lemon peels through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and pour the limoncello into another container. Press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels before tossing them in the trash.

Stir the liquid with a clean plastic or wooden spoon.

Put the liqueur in clean bottles, seal tightly and leave the finished bottles for at least 1 week before using.

For best flavor and drinking it straight, store the limoncello in the freezer. It shouldn't freeze because of how much alcohol is in it and it's wonderful ice cold on hot summer night.
The bottles keep for a long time, i had several that i just finished like last year that i had made 3 or so years ago and they make good gifts too! I used old lemonade bottles from Trader Joe's - the kind with the Kolsch-bottle-like lids but in litre size.

So i am just gonna use oranges instead of lemons. Also the more sugar you use, the thicker (and sweeter) the end result will be.

This receipe is good because after you use the peel from the fruit, you can use the fruit for juice or to eat or whatevs, so you utilize all parts of the fruit!

so all the flavor is from the peels? that's crazy talk.

when i was in college i did something similar with a bottle of vodka and a bunch of cherry cough drops. it tasted horrible.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#379 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Thanks, Jacki! I tried something similar a couple years ago, and when I was making the recipe I was thinking, this is a lot of sugar. then I drank it and it was way too sweet. If you're using grain alcohol, it seems like this would be super strong. Is it just something you sip or mix with something else? Also, I think grapefruicello would be really good.

Quezo - I can definitely let you have some lemons. Maybe oranges too, but they're still ripening and we haven't started eating them yet.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#380 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

Thanks, Jacki! I tried something similar a couple years ago, and when I was making the recipe I was thinking, this is a lot of sugar. then I drank it and it was way too sweet. If you're using grain alcohol, it seems like this would be super strong. Is it just something you sip or mix with something else? Also, I think grapefruicello would be really good.

it's super strong and super sweet.

it's like an after dinner digestif (or even an aperitif if you are feeling sinister) - in Rome, when you went out for dinner, they would serve you a shot of limoncello after your meal.

I guess you could mix it with tonic or soda water to get it more watered down. or put it on ice cream or something.

#381 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

We went with their holiday ale this time. Here's the recipe. Yeah, so the holidays are over, that doesn't mean winter beers aren't any good any more. We did make a couple adjustments. the recipe calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. those are the four ingredients in Pumpkin Pie Spice, so we used that instead. Also, the paradise seeds we bought, I spilled them all over the kitchen trying to crush them. they didn't smell like anything, I don't know why they're in the recipe. Only about 1/4 of the bag went in the pot, the rest got swept up with the dog hair.

What is really interesting is the inclusion of canned pumpkin and how it's used - the combination of hot water plus the pumpkin plus the Amylase Enzyme, which digests carbohydrates. We followed the instructions in the recipe and by the time it was time to add the pumpkin, it was totally liquid, no chunks or sludge whatsoever. In a previous attempt to brew a pumpkin beer using canned pumpkin, we ended up with a very sludgy mess. We had to throw away about half of the brew because it was so thick, we couldn't rack it to secondary. But this time, it was absolutely liquid after sitting for about an hour and a half. This gives me the confidence to try a pumpkin ale again.

It's cooler in the house now compared to October, temperatures inside are more like 70 degrees, so I'm not doing the whole tub/water/ice thing this time. Fermentation started up overnight the first night and has been going like crazy. It smells very nice, very spicy.

This beer is totally fucking awesome. It is strong but smooth, chocolaty but not too bitter, spicy but not overpoweringly so. I would pay good money in a store for this. Actually, I paid good money in a homebrew shop for this, nevermind.

#382 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

Bringing it back in the Oh Ten!

I hit up the homebrew store today and replenished some of my supplies and I'm planning to brew up a basic stout tomorrow. I forgot how awesome the homebrew store smells. Just now I went to grab a beer out of the fridge and I had to take a minute to sniff the bag of hops sitting in there. I wish they made a candle out of that scent.

Anyone got anything going right now? Let's crank this thread back up.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#383 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

Not recently. we did another brew last year, I don't remember exactly what we brewed but if I had to guess, I would say "Cross Contamination". Start with one basic Hefe recipe, subtract mellow german hops, add bright American hops (cascades, or other pale-ale types), et voila! A really smooth very drinkable beer with a good hop aroma. Most people add citrus to hefes. Why do that when you can get citrus overtones from your hops?

#384 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

I can't even remember the last time I brewed now. If only beer that subtracted from the gut instead of expanding it. I would love to brew again, though.

These days, when I'm only having one, generally a pale-yellow american lager is quite refreshing.

I know, I know, put me out of my fucking misery already.

#385 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Not recently. we did another brew last year, I don't remember exactly what we brewed but if I had to guess, I would say "Cross Contamination". Start with one basic Hefe recipe, subtract mellow german hops, add bright American hops (cascades, or other pale-ale types), et voila! A really smooth very drinkable beer with a good hop aroma. Most people add citrus to hefes. Why do that when you can get citrus overtones from your hops?

I very much like this idea. Definitely worth checking out.

My stout is chug chug chugging along nicely behind a chair in the living. Cannot wait to drink down a homebrew again. I hope my wife likes this beer since it'll be drinkable right around the time she should be able to do drink beer again.

#386 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

Popped open a stout last Sunday after giving it a week in the bottle. It was pretty tasty then, kind of a strong Guinness. I've got a few in the fridge for tonight and I'm interested to see how much it changed.

Now to plan the next batch...

#387 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Necro bump.

https://petitions.wh...-house/XkpkYwc0

Obama's got his own beer brewed at the White House and the link above is a petition to release the recipe.

There's also a FOIA request.

I have not brewed in at least two years. All our homebrew stuff is still in the boxes it was all packed in before we moved in July 2010. Sigh, maybe someday soon.

#388 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Necro bump.

https://petitions.wh...-house/XkpkYwc0

Obama's got his own beer brewed at the White House and the link above is a petition to release the recipe.

There's also a FOIA request.

I have not brewed in at least two years. All our homebrew stuff is still in the boxes it was all packed in before we moved in July 2010. Sigh, maybe someday soon.

Same here. Very disappointing, especially since my daughter was super good at bottling in 2010. Given two years of growth, she should be a goddamned pro now.

#389 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Rise from your grave

My gf got me a 2.5 gallon keg that I can fit into my fridge and still keep all my food intact! Might brew labor day weekend...not sure what though...

#390 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

ha.. just saw this on here from around the same time i started my beekeeping thread.. necro bumps all around.. maybe we need to combine the threads and start making some mead. mmmmm...
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users