405 replies to this topic

#46 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Maybe I'll just ship it to him. We have to see if we're going to make it to BC first and whether he's going to be in town. John, did you wantch that video with Christine? Matt wants to see it next.

#47 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, we saw it and I'm totally down with trying an all grain batch sometime if you want to brave it. We have at least one bucket we don't use for anything at this point, and we could use the bottling bucket for sparging.

#48 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

shit, if you guys do that count me in to help, or at least stand around and drink.

#49 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, we saw it and I'm totally down with trying an all grain batch sometime if you want to brave it. We have at least one bucket we don't use for anything at this point, and we could use the bottling bucket for sparging.

I'm up for it.

Matt, we'd need your brewpot anyway. Gotta boil all 5 gallons.

So did she like the video?

#50 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

Also, I'm not sure about the cinnamon.  That might be too much. 

I am also slightly concerned with how that will taste if it fails, since this recipe I pulled from doesn't have any comments or anything on it. The cinnamon in their recipe is actually only paired with orange, which does makes a bit more sense taste wise. Perhaps adding lemon to those two sweeter flavors will affect it negatively. Also the recipe I pulled from is all-grain. Maybe I'm better off saving the cinnamon for when I decide to follow this recipe to the letter.

I potentially want to take a few bottles of that IPA up to Vancouver for John Wright, I mean I did help brew it... I could bring some of his back! Not sure how that goes with the border and all.

I've been looking into finding out about this as well, since I'm going to be trying to take as much homebrew as I can over the border to my father-in-law next month. Here's what the Canadian goverment website says:

4. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the baggage that a person who is not a resident of Canada may temporarily import under tariff item No. 9803.00.00 consists of any goods that the person imports for their personal use and that are appropriate for their needs and consistent with the purpose, nature and duration of their intended stay in Canada, but does not include more than

(a) 1.14 L of spirits or wine or 8.5 L of beer or ale;

Also this site says that you can bring in twenty four 12 oz. bottles or cans across the border. I would think that a good guideline would be not to exceed 288 total ounces. I've brought a case of beer across the border before and as long as I tell them up front that I have it, everything's been fine.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#51 jaimeemfer

jaimeemfer

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

For those of you in AZ trying the all grain brewing, my horse, Prize, would like to lay claim to the left over wort, sparge or whatever you call the grains once you've used them to make beer. In the video, Johnny Hanson had a bucket full of that stuff he was going to throw away. Prize would prefer it was thrown into his stomach. :D

#52 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

So did she like the video?

I think so, but I bet she would want to watch it again sometime.

#53 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Also this site says that you can bring in twenty four 12 oz. bottles or cans across the border. I would think that a good guideline would be not to exceed 288 total ounces. I've brought a case of beer across the border before and as long as I tell them up front that I have it, everything's been fine.

Awesome, thanks doc!

#54 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

For those of you in AZ trying the all grain brewing, my horse, Prize, would like to lay claim to the left over wort, sparge or whatever you call the grains once you've used them to make beer. In the video, Johnny Hanson had a bucket full of that stuff he was going to throw away. Prize would prefer it was thrown into his stomach. :D

It's pretty tasty to humans, too :ph34r:

#55 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

Words. The american citrus wheat ale is in the fermenter. If this beer ends up tasting as good as it smells, I'll be pumped. This batch has it all; good sanitation, good straining, good ingredients, and live yeast to boot. Hopefully this batch comes out tasty enough to remake in two weeks for strangers from another country.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#56 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

The IPA Mike and I brewed is in the bottles. 24 regular bottles and 17 bombers, not a shabby haul. Unconditioned it tastes a little strong in the hops, but those will mellow with time. It's also strong. I had about 6 oz left over so I drank it, and discovered it's a very potent beer.

#57 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

minibrau minihefe is in the bottles - an extra week in the carboy proved to be no problem at all. Pretty tasty, and seems a little stronger than your average hefe. the color is an awesome amber - can't wait to crack one of these open in a few weeks. I ended up with 49.5 bottles - mr. .5 will have all the sludge - i'll be handing that to a friend.

#58 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

I'll take it. Dead yeast husks are supposed to prevent hangovers.

#59 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

I'll take it. Dead yeast husks are supposed to prevent hangovers.

It's all vitamin B :)

#60 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

vitamin b my ass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users