1980 replies to this topic

#31 mills

mills

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

Haven't followed wrestling for many many years. I do remember people always saying that UW died from drugs or something.

One thing I remember was when UW said "I dont give a shit" On live television hehe.

#32 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

WWE is "weak" because of stupid internet marks who just has to know everything about the wrestling business, inside and outside, it's still the good product they always got, only reduced because of fans claiming they know everything and making people boo because of personal issues or what nots

If what you are saying is the truth, then explain to me why the ECW PPV did so well.

Because ECW is the mekka for idiots, and last i heard, it didn't do that well, it got an average buy rate, just enough to consider doing another

i did not really pay attention to that crap, since it's ECW

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#33 Guest_WING Matsunaga_*

Guest_WING Matsunaga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:46 PM

you didnt like ECW? man i used to love that back in the day. durring a time when WWF and WCW had totally shitty wrestling, ECW came through with some really good matches.

#34 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

my problem with ECW was all the nonsense brawls and violence, i LOVED when they brought in Jinsei and Hayabusa, i'll give them that, but at a regular basis, i didn't enjoy their product, sorry, i didn't like the fans (the hardcore ones), or the overpraised product that i only found like an average FMW

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#35 Guest_WING Matsunaga_*

Guest_WING Matsunaga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:56 PM

so you dont like spot fests? IE RVD VS Sabu. circa 1996.

they had some other hell of good matches with Malenko, Benoit, Misterio, Too Cold, Super CRazy, Tajiri, Douglas, Taz etc. not just the brawls like you say.

I'm not much of a Brawl fan myself. i usually fastforward when they are out in the crowd and such, till either they get back in the ring or climb a balcany.

#36 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

haha me too

Spot fests can be cool, like your example there, you can't dislike Rob Van Dam, that's impossible

and yeah they some good matches, but mostly all i saw was brawls or tons of blood, and it was the same everytime i watched any tapes

i had like 20 ecw tapes, i gave them all away in the end cause it just wasn't my fed i guess

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#37 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

I always enjoyed ECW for its more high-paced action, and the garbage wrestling that I did like there was done by two FMW alums (Awesome & Tanaka).

As far as garbage wrestling goes, I don't think anything will ever top the first FMW match I saw - Megumi Kudo vs Combat "Mother in Law" Toyoda in an electrified barbed wire match. A friend of mine and I watched it years ago for the first time, and he had quite the expression on his face after watching it. Any time I shout out Megumi Kudo's name when we converse, he gets that same look all these years later. :D

#38 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#39 Guest_WING Matsunaga_*

Guest_WING Matsunaga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

mother in law? did you get those FMW tapes that were sold in the states? the ones that had the stupid commentators who didnt know a thing about wrestling, and made up storylines that wernt really happening because they didnt know japanese?

#40 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

Dan Lovranski and John Watanabe :lol:

man they ruined those tapes, luckily i have 2 dvd's from the Tokyo Pop FMW series and you can change to japanese commentary, only not on the Hayabusa dvd, there you have to hear them kill everything

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#41 QUICKSHOT

QUICKSHOT

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

that story is great...i remember watching a tape featuring mr dangers steakhouse. ::researches cost to japan from bay area::

#42 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

mother in law? did you get those FMW tapes that were sold in the states? the ones that had the stupid commentators who didnt know a thing about wrestling, and made up storylines that wernt really happening because they didnt know japanese?

Even better - I've got it on DVD. :D

My DVD (entitled FMW - King of the Death Match) has Eric Geller and John Watanabe as the commentators, and I don't know if they ruined the matches with their commentating - they just came off like tremendous dorks. I suppose that's fair considering the nature of wrestling. :D

#43 Joeyfusion

Joeyfusion

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

WWE is "weak" because of stupid internet marks who just has to know everything about the wrestling business, inside and outside, it's still the good product they always got, only reduced because of fans claiming they know everything and making people boo because of personal issues or what nots

If what you are saying is the truth, then explain to me why the ECW PPV did so well.

Because ECW is the mekka for idiots, and last i heard, it didn't do that well, it got an average buy rate, just enough to consider doing another

I understand where your coming from, but I'll have to disagree with your "Mecca for idiots" line. Yes, ECW had a lot of "Garbage" wrestling, but that wasn't what it was entirely about. It was about passion.
Everything going on in the company dripped of it. 90% of the roster was giving their all every night. They definitely weren't wrestling for the money, they were wrestling for the fans and because they loved what they were doing.
It's hard to hate a company when it is run with dare I say "Heart", from Tommy Dreamer wrestling for something like a year with a broken back, to the B.W.O. doing a spot for spot re-enactment of Warrior vs Hogan at Wrestlemania, to Jerry Lynn and Rob Van Dam having matches so awesome that tapes of their exploits could be sold as a drug in some countries ECW had it all.
I hate to sound like such a "mark", but if you don't at least have a small amount of respect for ECW's wrestlers for nearly dieing without any pay for months at a time to keep the company they love alive than you are not a wrestling fan in my book.

Now If you'll excuse me; I'm going to watch Paul Heyman's ONS speech and Tommy Dreamer's title victory speech (I'll never headline Wrestlemania, I don't want to headline Starcade...) and shed a tear for one awesome wrestling company.

#44 Guest_Andy-San_*

Guest_Andy-San_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

I understand where your coming from, but I'll have to disagree with your "Mecca for idiots" line. Yes, ECW had a lot of "Garbage" wrestling, but that wasn't what it was entirely about. It was about passion.
Everything going on in the company dripped of it. 90% of the roster was giving their all every night. They definitely weren't wrestling for the money, they were wrestling for the fans and because they loved what they were doing.
It's hard to hate a company when it is run with dare I say "Heart", from Tommy Dreamer wrestling for something like a year with a broken back, to the B.W.O. doing a spot for spot re-enactment of Warrior vs Hogan at Wrestlemania, to Jerry Lynn and Rob Van Dam having matches so awesome that tapes of their exploits could be sold as a drug in some countries ECW had it all.
I hate to sound like such a "mark", but if you don't at least have a small amount of respect for ECW's wrestlers for nearly dieing without any pay for months at a time to keep the company they love alive than you are not a wrestling fan in my book.

Now If you'll excuse me; I'm going to watch Paul Heyman's ONS speech and Tommy Dreamer's title victory speech (I'll never headline Wrestlemania, I don't want to headline Starcade...) and shed a tear for one awesome wrestling company.

Well said Joey; well said.

#45 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

not everyone was stupid, but it became this cult thing for smart marks, and i don't see what's special about it, other than above average matches here and there

ZbtmVjy.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users