10954 replies to this topic

#31 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

I agree with Ulcer about Saw II. Very well-paced and well-written, and the ending was absolutely perfect. Tied in with the first movie perfectly! (that is all I shall say about it for now)

Only thing I didn't like was how in the beginning the SWAT team guys walked into a situation that practically screamed "I AM A TRAP". They're supposed to be trained for situations like that. (especially when the suspect is known to set up crazy mechanical people-hurting contraptions) Very minor thing though :)
The ARC Legacy demo is coming soon!
http://abstract-productions.net/

#32 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:55 AM

The little talking doll dude wasn't in it enough.
But other than that yes it was solid and has me pumped for DVD and Saw III-ness.

#33 Guest_Scar420_*

Guest_Scar420_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:29 AM

damn i forgot to post some info about mirror mask

Posted Image

MirrorMask Offical Site click here

to watch some of the trailers go here
http://www.imdb.com/...366780/trailers

plot taken from imdb:

MirrorMask centers on Helena, a 15 year old girl in a family of circus entertainers, who often wishes she could run off and join real life. After a fight with her parents about her future plans, her mother falls quite ill and Helena is convinced that it is all her fault. On the eve of her mother's major surgery, she dreams that she is in a strange world with two opposing queens, bizarre creatures, and masked inhabitants. All is not well in this new world - the white queen has fallen ill and can only be restored by the MirrorMask, and it's up to Helena to find it. But as her adventures continue, she begins to wonder whether she's in a dream, or something far more sinister

mirror mask sucked ass
terrible animation
horrible story
and cheesy acting
dont waste your money on this if you come across this on dvd or theaters.

i cant wait to buy the devils reject today on dvd

Posted Image
DVD Features:
Audio commentary with Director Rob Zombie
Actor Audio Commentary with Sid Haig, Bill Moseley and Sheri Moon Zombie
Blooper Reel
Morris Green Show - "Ruggsville's #1 talk show"
Mary The Monkey Girl Commercial
Spaulding Christmas Commercial
Cheerleader Missing - The Otis Home Movie
"Satan's Got To Get Along Without Me" - Buck Owens video
Deleted Scenes
Make Up Tests
Matthew McGrory tribute
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer and TV spots

#34 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Whoa! How is it that so many of you enjoyed Saw 2? I thought it was super stinky.

*SPOILERS*

Forgive my non sensical dribble here, I am minutes away from crawling into bed.

First, it was super tame compared to the first one, and seeing as how I went to the movie because I enjoyed the cheese and shock of the first one, I was quite let down. The only part that made me cringe was when the girl fell in the pit of needles. But in the end you find out she was in on the whole thing right from the start, it just takes away from all of the screaming and moaning she was doing because hey, she knew it was there all along.

Now, what's up with the description of the nerve gas? He said it would make them bleed from every Orifice, but when that teenage girl died from it, all she did was sort of fall down. Talk about lame.

Also, what's up with the guy who kidnapped them all. What kind of lame character is that? Was it any suprise that the door closed behind him in the furnace? As if it wasn't going to happen. The lame part is, there was no way to avoid that trap. No riddle to get out. It was just, dead.

Also, the girl who got her hands trapped in that glass box. Another lame trap. It's like, there is no way she could have avoided that, except for the obvious SMASH THE BOX OPEN WITH A CHAIR FIRST YOU DUMB DYKE!

Sure the ending threw me for a spin, that was the the only good story line twist. But the lame part? The dad gets locked in the creepy Saw 1 bathroom, and the lights get turned out. So what, he starves to death? that's his death? stooooooopid.

You want a decent new horror flick, do yourself a favour and rent High Tension (wide screen)
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#35 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:54 AM

*SPOILERS*
But in the end you find out she was in on the whole thing right from the start, it just takes away from all of the screaming and moaning she was doing because hey, she knew it was there all along.

She may have been "in on it" but she had a fair chance of dying like everyone else did. I also believe she didn't know of anything in that house. She was being "tested" like she was before. Jigsaw wanted her to value life more when he took her under his cancer-flavored wing, and if she was the successor that he wanted, she would pass the trials he put before her.
Think of it like this, if she was so protected and had it in, why would she be gassed as well?

No explanation about the orifice thing, I was even expecting the same. Maybe a figure of speech but it did get a little bloody.

Also, what's up with the guy who kidnapped them all. What kind of lame character is that? Also, was it any suprise that the door closed behind him in the furnace? As if it wasn't going to happen. The lame part is, there was no way to avoid that trap. No riddle to get out. It was just, dead.

He COULD HAVE avoided it, actually. The message on the tape said something about playing with the devil. When the guy is stuck in the furnace and the fire starts up, he sees a little valve at the far corner with a drawing of a devil's face beside it saying something (I forget). Point is, he should have thought ahead, and he lost because of it.
What I wanna know is when they got that message out of that body in the basement, just who that was. maybe a dummy, but an interesting way of posting a message regardless

Also, the girl who got her hands trapped in that glass box. Another lame trap. It's like, there is no way she could have avoided that, except for the obvious SMASH THE BOX OPEN WITH A CHAIR FIRST YOU DUMB DYKE!

I thought that trap was great. She threw away the tape like a dumb bitch, she deserves an equally stupid demise.

Sure the ending threw me for a spin, that was the the only good story line twist. But the lame part? The dad gets locked in the creepy Saw 1 bathroom, and the lights get turned out. So what, he starves to death? that's his death? stooooooopid.

It's too early to assume that. You see the skeleton of the dude from the first one there, so yeah wouldn't be surprised if the cop goes down the same way. If it's not resolved in Saw 3, I'll be disappointed. But maybe Saw 3 has Donnie Wahlberg trying to find his way out? The chick did say something about him being her "first test subject". She had to give him some type of escape.
:D

#36 ^PaladinX^

^PaladinX^

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

You want a decent new horror flick, do yourself a favour and rent High Tension (wide screen)

i thought saw 2 was ok but agree with your points on it.. mark's point about the swat team was dead on... i remember losing attention at that scene and just looking around the theater and my watch.. i mentioned it in 11:60 but being held by the hand as they walk you through everything at the end was lame too... maybe for the slower crowd to go "ooh yeah" and not waste their time watching it again..

but c'mon High Tension? it has one of my most hated/cliche/twist endings to a horror/psychological thriller...

at one time i'd say asian horror/cinema (not the american remakes but the more obscure ones) is the way to go but a lot of the ones i've seen recently do the whole slow buildup, maybe see something scary, or just way out there in left field..

sidenote from being scary, any see the movie slashers? terrible acting (im the last person to complain about acting because i'm a b-horror junkie) but maaan..

#37 Guest_Scar420_*

Guest_Scar420_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

devils reject uncut is amazing
so much footage and bonus shit
13.99 at frys electronics (arizona)
go buy it now
i might pick up the soundtrack cause its got some great music

#38 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

but c'mon High Tension? it has one of my most hated/cliche/twist endings to a horror/psychological thriller...

I thought it was no more stinky then the ending of Saw 1. As if they couldn't have seen him breathing. P'shhhhhht.

I thought the whole first half of High Tension was borderline revolutionary.
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#39 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

I thought it was no more stinky then the ending of Saw 1. As if they couldn't have seen him breathing. P'shhhhhht.

I thought the whole first half of High Tension was borderline revolutionary.

I loved every bit of High Tension... except for the ending. Usually an ending like that is good but in the case of High Tension it doesn't even make sense when you play it again, unless 99% of what happens is an extremely detailed fabrication of the girl's imagination.
The ARC Legacy demo is coming soon!
http://abstract-productions.net/

#40 jesse

jesse

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

high tension is great...for the first 7/8 of the movie. it is a perfect homage to 70s slasher movies. i won't talk about the ending. i pretty much agree with xmark. it just seems so forced and doesn't make any sense because of all the logical errors.

and scar knows what's up - the devil's rejects is awesome. still need to pick up the dvd, though.
I LOVE NINJA GAYDEN KILL YOURSELF!!

#41 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

i saw firecracker last night. now i'm watching the documentary about the making of the film.

anyway, this movie is very, very good. i highly suggest seeing it if you get a chance.

the bad thing about it is that multiple viewings are necessary, but seeing it multiple times is pretty much impossible at this point.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#42 Guest_Scar420_*

Guest_Scar420_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:34 AM

finally got a chance to watch "dummy"
totally funny and and a very good movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246592/
Milla Jovovich is in it and is damn hot
cute and funny movie, worth watching
Posted Image

#43 Ulcer

Ulcer

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:11 AM

Amanda may have known that the pit of needles was there, but she couldn't have known that she would get tossed into it.

The blonde girl didn't 'just fall down'. I don't know about the "bleeding from every orifice" thing, but the convulsing and spasming - yeah, that's what nerve gas does to you.

Like Spook said, there was a way to get out of the furnace. There was a valve, with a charicature of the devil pointing to it. The word "twist" was written there, and I believe there was an arrow indicating the appropriate direction of the twist.

As for the dad getting locked in the basement, and possibly starving to death - that's how the first movie ended, with the photographer dude, so if you didn't like Saw II for that, then you can't like the first Saw, either.

I didn't enjoy either Saw I or Saw II, for the gore, or the thrill of being frightened, I liked both movies for the message that they had, that people shouldn't take life for granted. Saw II was not a very scary movie at all, but that's not what I wanted out of it, so that didn't take away from my enjoyment of it.

The tough girl sticking her hands in that trap was indeed a pretty bone-headed move, but maybe she was too exhausted to think about it.

Yeah, the SWAT team should have been careful enough to avoid that trap. Here's a hint: If a creepy doll thing starts laughing at you, you might want to get out of there. And the doll was in it about as much as it was in the first Saw.

And the way they beat you over the head at the end with the summary of all of the plot twists and how they work out is pretty lame. I can tolerate it, but it would be better to let it be more subtle.
"We must do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian-Darwinian theory, he must justify his right to exist. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living."

– Richard Buckminster Fuller

#44 Guest_Klawful_*

Guest_Klawful_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:25 AM

"Dvd Rental - "Primer" - Super awesome indie-science-fiction movie. The first 30 minutes is pretty slow but the last half doesn't stop surprising the shit out of you. Primer has to have one of the most complex stories I've seen in years (because it's a time-travel mind-fuck"

I just didn't understand it at all.

But I'm not sure whether I didn't really enjoy it because I had no idea what was going on, the wooden acting, or that it was time travel without dinosaurs or futuristic mutants.

After your review, though, I feel like I should give it another go and see if I am less dense this time around.

#45 Guest_Klawful_*

Guest_Klawful_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:46 AM

Also

A friend lent me Exorcist Dominion and The beginning So I can watch both and compare.

I can think of no other film where a version was completed, scrapped and a new version was made-so that there are 2 complete versions.

I am curious to see what the studio liked in one and not the other.

So far, I watched the unrleased one, Dominion.

Overall it wasn't too hot-- but it did have a few things going for it.

1. stellan skarsgard--this guy is perfect for a younger Father Merrin. He's just pretty great in general--I can't wait to see the Beowulf and Grendel film he is in.

2. Father Merrin's lack of faith. The demon was almost a secondary thing--just a face for evil. The main thing seemed to be Merrin having stopped beleiving in his god after a war atrocity he is witness to in in the opening scene. So of course, he has to get his game back before he can confront ol' splitfoot. This process isn't really well done, but I like the idea.

The bad things are too numerous to mention, but among them are:

1. carnivorous cows
2. all the cgi, but mainly the hyenas

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users