11666 replies to this topic

#11206 GlamGoreMuffin

GlamGoreMuffin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

The Shape Of Water. Bravo, Mr. del Toro!

This looks amazing

Trailers remind me of Bioshock as well

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11207 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:59 AM

Just started the Donner cut of Superman II. Crypt-tin? You had one job, ﹰBrando. Also the scene when Lois jumps out the window is adorable.

Poor Reeves. Every time I see him, I'm always reminded of that Chris Rock routine. "Superman can't walk!" If something out there is pulling the strings, they have a fucked-up sense of humor

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#11208 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

The Shape Of Water. Bravo, Mr. del Toro!

This looks amazing

Trailers remind me of Bioshock as well

I just watched that movie. Really good.

#11209 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

i finally saw THE LAST JEDI

i have little interest in the SW franchise as it was, with movies calling back and filling in holes and such. it wasnt until i saw/ heard people complain that this 'wasn't enough like SW' or whatnot that i even considered seeing it. i'm glad i did. it was alright, nothing amazing or anything, but better than i wouldve guessed back in november. i mean, its really funny to me that people are SO serious about childrens* movies with literally thousands of 'PEW PEW PEW' sound fx anyway but after seeing it i cant even seem to understand the whole 'angry nerd' backlash. it was a decent entry in an ongoing story that seemed to be heading into new territory finally and thats all you can really hope for. (it was too long though)

bonus: since i waited a month, we literally had a theater to ourselves on a saturday night which probably GREATLY contributed to me enjoying it. blazed out, eating a cherry pie larabar, thats the way to go man.

*yes, i am aware i like childrens comics and all-ages video games, i just dont take it seriously

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#11210 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

yeah I'm usually not this person but I think the fandom around Star Wars and Star Trek turn me off a little bit and sci-fi is usually my jam

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#11211 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

I'm not super into Star Wars or Star Trek but the fandom keeps making me think I must be really missing out on something, so I just keep trying.

Pimps don't commit suicide

#11212 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

Just watched Episode VIII. I really enjoyed it. Suck it, fandom!
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#11213 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:41 AM

yeah I'm usually not this person but I think the fandom around Star Wars and Star Trek turn me off a little bit and sci-fi is usually my jam

well, for one comparing star wars fandom to trekkies is just...yeah... it's like comparing, i dunno, frank zappa fans to miley cyrus fans. just because the two franchise both start with the word "star" and are both in the sci-fi genre, within the genre, they are quite un-alike. 

i like star wars for the spectacle, it's just beautiful stuff, sets, costumes, space battles, etc. imo, art direction is where the real talent is in SW movies. but, to be fair, the rest is just incredibly basic stuff, the plots are mostly pretty hollow and typically rely on one or two talented actors to carry them. the original star wars film was a direct pretty much scene-for-scene adaptation of kurosawa's the hidden fortress, right down to the horizontal screen wipes being copied from him exactly. there's just very little originality and depth. 

star trek on the other hand is deeply thoughtful, with rich, complex, human characters, intelligent original storytelling (and also some less original stuff too), and is more often than not, like all good sci fi, pointed allegory for contemporary social issues. not to mention the ST universe is so vast and filled out, maps, fully constructed languages, cultures and history. even when there have been reboots, it hasn't just been a retelling of story that was already told in a different incarnation of Trek.  

i'm with joe and you not understanding how SW fans can get so worked up about something with so little substance. but I've been to a few star trek conventions when i was younger and am a hardcore ST fan for life. out of curiosity, what is it that turns you off about Trekkies? have you seen the 2 Trekkies movies? they feature the band Stovokor from Portland, who perform metal songs with Klingon lyrics...aka badassed

#11214 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:08 AM

My main problem with the lastest SW is that the Marvelization of the franchise is now complete. And i'm not the target audience anymore.

I'll continue to enjoy SW, but.. i don't consider myself "a fan" anymore. The last 3 movies have been less than ok imho. I know that i bring my own bias and expectations into the movies. But what i want from star wars is more than a movie that feels interchangeable with Guardians of The Galaxy or Avengers.

Overall, i managed to have strong feelings about space wizards with laser swords, which kinda scares me.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#11215 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

well, you are in a place where everyone has strong feelings about bleeps and blops coming out of 30-year-old hardware, so it is not THAT bad...
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#11216 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

My main problem with the lastest SW is that the Marvelization of the franchise is now complete. And i'm not the target audience anymore.

I'll continue to enjoy SW, but.. i don't consider myself "a fan" anymore. The last 3 movies have been less than ok imho. I know that i bring my own bias and expectations into the movies. But what i want from star wars is more than a movie that feels interchangeable with Guardians of The Galaxy or Avengers.

Overall, i managed to have strong feelings about space wizards with laser swords, which kinda scares me.

marvelization? isn't it more like disneyfication? either way, i don't see a significant different between a new hope and the force awakens in terms of how basic they are. when i think of something that's disneyfied, i think of storylines that are in the common conscious being repackaged in a sterile and racialized way (bad guys are always darker). this phenomenon is obviously not exclusive to disney, but disney definitely excels at it. star wars has always been that. 
the first trilogy blew ppl away cause no one had ever seen special FX like that before on screen. 

#11217 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

first off I would say I have less of a problem with Star Trek, but I don't find either franchise worthy of the level of fandom they have accumulated.

this isn't one of my more logical arguments, I guess we all have to be haters of something lol. Ok gtg

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

#11218 clansmaneddie

clansmaneddie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

just watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri...wow, very solid and would recommend. Couldn't recognize Sam Rockwell for some reason which kind of irked me, loved him in Ninja Turtles did a phenomenal job in this. its very interesting how a movie can draw you to care for a utter piece of shit at times. I had no idea what it was gonna be about until the movie started which made me remember that id seen the trailer but didnt think much of it other than Woody Harrelson was in it. Glad to be blown away a just go with it.

ps i love Woody Hareelson and sometimes contemplate making a thread for him on theshizz.org/fourms, but today is not that

good movie

I'd take Snapple's satirical pestering over your tired ass trolling ANY DAY.

#11219 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

the original star wars film was a direct pretty much scene-for-scene adaptation of kurosawa's the hidden fortress

This isn't even remotely true. Maybe turn down the hyperbole knob a bit?

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#11220 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

just watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri...wow, very solid and would recommend. Couldn't recognize Sam Rockwell for some reason which kind of irked me, loved him in Ninja Turtles did a phenomenal job in this. its very interesting how a movie can draw you to care for a utter piece of shit at times. I had no idea what it was gonna be about until the movie started which made me remember that id seen the trailer but didnt think much of it other than Woody Harrelson was in it. Glad to be blown away a just go with it.

ps i love Woody Hareelson and sometimes contemplate making a thread for him on theshizz.org/fourms, but today is not that

good movie

I'm planning on seeing it this weekend if I have time. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

"This thing is vibrating like a $50 milkshake!"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users