11230 replies to this topic

#11221 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:58 AM

the original star wars film was a direct pretty much scene-for-scene adaptation of kurosawa's the hidden fortress

This isn't even remotely true. Maybe turn down the hyperbole knob a bit?

not denying that i can be prone to hyperbole from time to time, but this is 100% true though ;). lucas even tried to cast toshiro mifune as obi wan. it's not that unusual. the amount of films and tv shows in the US adapted from abroad is pretty huge. at least lucas didn't try and deny it like disney did when they took kimba the white lion. 

#11222 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

Looking for input if anyone has an opinion on this. I bought Once Upon a Time in America not having seen it. There’s a theatrical cut (3:49) and a director’s cut (4:11). Either way, I’m committing a good chunk of my day and want to see the best version the first time. If this was a Ridley Scott film, I’d watch the director’s cut, because he’s got a track record for vastly improving his movies when given free rein. But I also remember Apocalypse Now Redux, which I first watched when introducing the movie to Jackie. The extra 45 minutes don’t add anything besides three-quarters of an hour, and now she has no interest in seeing the original, and yeah, I’ll say it... BETTER version.

Any thoughts?
Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

Posted Image

#11223 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

i think you're looking for coming to america

sgy5Biv.gif

#11224 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

i think you're looking for coming to america

The four-hour version of Coming to America is easily the best film ever made.
Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

Posted Image

#11225 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

would be kinda neat to have some zamundan pounds

Coming-To-America-Zamunda-coin-and-bill-

#11226 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

not denying that i can be prone to hyperbole from time to time, but this is 100% true though ;).

It's not even close to a "direct pretty much scene-for-scene adaptation". The 2 minute, 41 second video has a few good examples of where they're close, but at least half the video is hard to even call a "scene-for-scene" adaptation. Hell, these movies are 2+ hours long each. A 3 minute clip is less than 3% of the length of the actual movies. Lucas absolutely copped to being inspired by Kurosawa and specifically modeled his robots after the bumbling idiots of Hidden Fortress, the whole movies aren't even remotely the same thing. Remind me which scenes in Hidden Fortress were turned into the space battles?

It doesn't seem like you've actually seen Hidden Fortress before yourself. Go watch it, you'll have a good time.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#11227 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

not denying that i can be prone to hyperbole from time to time, but this is 100% true though ;).

It's not even close to a "direct pretty much scene-for-scene adaptation". The 2 minute, 41 second video has a few good examples of where they're close, but at least half the video is hard to even call a "scene-for-scene" adaptation. Hell, these movies are 2+ hours long each. A 3 minute clip is less than 3% of the length of the actual movies. Lucas absolutely copped to being inspired by Kurosawa and specifically modeled his robots after the bumbling idiots of Hidden Fortress, the whole movies aren't even remotely the same thing. Remind me which scenes in Hidden Fortress were turned into the space battles?

It doesn't seem like you've actually seen Hidden Fortress before yourself. Go watch it, you'll have a good time.

i didn't say it was a scene-for-scene copy, it's an adaptation. of course there are no space battles, it's a jidaigeki. those screen swipes though, they're exactly the same!

anyway, my point was in ref. to Urvile's post comparing SW and ST fandoms. Star Wars is quite unoriginal, an adaptation of other source material, whereas Star Trek is an original concept. and, the Star Wars sequels aren't super original either. it's just your basic run-of-the-mill epic tale with archetypes we've all seen a hundred other places. so, comparing the two doesn't make much sense to me.

apparently there we're elements of hidden fortress used not just in the original trilogy, but the prequel trilogy as well
http://www.bbc.com/c...wars-stole-from

#11228 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,341 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

The Foreigner was just okay. Jackie Chan lookin old af
BRAINMEAT - My original metal album on Bandcamp (free)
[size=2]SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#11229 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,564 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

And I haven't seen HF, but I want to even more now, it looks tight. ALSO: the person who made this video has no idea the function of a side-by-side comparison. 

toopunk2lose.png

#11230 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

There's a comedy set in the 80s about a korean school with perhaps the best 80s soundtrack I have ever heard in a film.

During the 1980s, the Korean government created a special summer camp for "gyopo" or foreign born teenagers where they could spend their summer in Seoul to learn about their motherland. While the intentions of the program were honorable, the activities of the teens were not. The program was eventually cancelled after a few years because the government simply could not control the youth. Seoul Searching is a teen comedy and coming of age film, based on a true story about one of the summer camps that took place in 1986.

Seoul Searching

MV5BMTUyNDM2MzQ1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU0

Pimps don't commit suicide

#11231 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

I'm gonna watch that this weekend!

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg