#11687 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

Maaaan Commando has been on my watch list for soooo long

I'm thinking of bringing a VCR to MagWest and bringing some of my VHS collection to do some late night vapor-wave type nostalgic action. If you're there, it might be time.

Dang...I'm not sure if I'll be there.  If I am, I feel like I'll want to do other stuff anyway though.  I don't really like background movies, I like giving them 100% attention.

#11688 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

I watched John Carter on a whim (it's on Netflix right now) and man did I enjoy the hell out of that movie.  It felt like Indiana Jones mixed with Star Wars, and it was just a good time of a sci fi movie.  I looked it up online and apparently the book helped start the sci fi genre way back when.  According to Wikipedia, it influenced both Dune and Star Wars.  What's even better is it has this incredibly rich artistic tradition where many of the best fantasy artists have painted John Carter material (Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo+Julie Bell, Michael Whelan, Joe Jusko).  It's just cool shit man.

And apparently most people didn't like the movie or something?  Super glad I didn't listen to the reviews.  Maybe you just have to go in with no expectations?

mondayinspiration_003_frankfrazetta.jpg8215835faf6527bdaee37b33146e51f6--fantas

Pimps don't commit suicide

#11689 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:59 AM

John Carter was great and it's a real shame it bombed terribly. it was pretty clear they had no idea how to market the movie. would have been a great franchise to build on and see more stories in. i have the special edition blu-ray i picked up last year, it's still a fun adventure romp. Disney/Marvel did a couple comics while they held the license that were pseudo sequels to the movie, but that's about as much as we'll likely ever get from it (though Dynamite has been making comics off the original novels/license for years).

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#11690 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

I enjoyed it. I hate that it does that thing where it gives the hero the same initials as Jesus Christ.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#11691 trunkspace

trunkspace

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

I went to see John Carter when it was in theaters. I'm a pretty big fan of old pulp characters, and even tho I'm not a Carter fan, I wanted to see it--even because the of the bad advance news that was coming out about it.
I liked it well enough, but I agree Disney didn't know what they were doing with marketing. There was also some sloppy tone problems to me w/ how it veers from drama to humor. 
I kinda feel that if it'd had a smaller budget (smaller studio) it'd have fared better.

It came out kind-of near the same time of the most recent Tarzan (2016), which I went to see for the same reasons. 
Tarzan is a very problematic character, but IMO it was a much more successful adaption than John Carter.
But if you liked Carter you might want to see Tarzan because it had the same sort of swashbuckling adventure vibe.

tumblr_orpvu9EXCX1uzae1ko1_500.gif

#11692 Smeg

Smeg

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

They did the film a major disservice by changing the title from John Carter of Mars. Audiences didn't know who the fuck John Carter is and it's such a generic name.

#11693 trunkspace

trunkspace

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:26 PM

They did the film a major disservice by changing the title from John Carter of Mars. Audiences didn't know who the fuck John Carter is and it's such a generic name.

Yeah, it sure wasn't as good as Warlord of Mars would have been.
Tell me there's a Warlord on Mars, would at least perk my ears. Tell me John Carter is on Mars, and I assume he's sells vintage eyeware and am grateful I won't have to meet him.

U N R E L A T E D

The trailer for Knives Out makes it look like a f*cking ball . . .

#11694 trunkspace

trunkspace

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

I might be off my horror kick. I brought the 1st Phantasm home form the library but couldn't get myself to watch it.

IDK, we're doing Stranger Things 3 one ep a day, so maybe after that I'll get re-interested.
I do want to watch the Living Dead trilogy and Chopping Mall.

I got the remake of Murder on the Orient Express and really liked it.

I almost didn't watch it too, because I was pretty skeeved out by Johnny Depp being in it.

I had forgotten he was in it, and didn't notice him on the cover til I got home.

Anyway, he plays the victim and is barely in it so I put it on while doing 'homework' for a job interview I have this week.

It might be peak Old Person storytelling, but it was really nicely done and the updates from the 70s movie version (and book I assume) were solid.

The same team are doing Death on the Nile next and I will totally see that.

Kenneth Branagh is a good filmmaker, he knows how to have fun with his flicks--even tho his THOR hasn't held up.

#11695 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

I watched John Carter on a whim (it's on Netflix right now) and man did I enjoy the hell out of that movie.  It felt like Indiana Jones mixed with Star Wars, and it was just a good time of a sci fi movie.  I looked it up online and apparently the book helped start the sci fi genre way back when.  According to Wikipedia, it influenced both Dune and Star Wars.  What's even better is it has this incredibly rich artistic tradition where many of the best fantasy artists have painted John Carter material (Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo+Julie Bell, Michael Whelan, Joe Jusko).  It's just cool shit man.

And apparently most people didn't like the movie or something?  Super glad I didn't listen to the reviews.  Maybe you just have to go in with no expectations?

Probably a "not as good as the book" thing (I've only seen about 20 minutes of the movie so I can't comment).

I first read the 2nd book in the series "The Gods of Mars" around the same time I first played Final Fantasy 4, they both feature an underground realm that can only be reached by flying airships though a hole in a mountain range. I always wondered if the game lifted that from the book.

But yeah, check out the books.

Posted Image

#11696 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

I've been meaning to watch John Carter.

banner.png

#11697 Trohnics!

Trohnics!

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

Midsommar fucked me up

Sy3yrKe.png?3

#11698 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

I liked Spider-Man, slow start but the middle act preceding the climax is fucking dope as hell

#11699 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

I finally watched Detective Pikachu - I was never into the Pokémon games, just caught a little bit of the show that would play after adult swim sometimes. I wouldn’t say it was a great, but it was enjoyable enough to watch which is pretty high praise for a video game movie

Started to watch I, Frankenstein but I fell asleep lol

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#11700 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

"Halloween Kills" and "Halloween Ends" 2020, 2021 to finish off this reboot series. I'm a little sad we don't get a third film called "Halloween 2" and a "Halloween 3" with Michael Myers in it.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users