6695 replies to this topic

#16 DoctorBlackJack

DoctorBlackJack

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

I used to be a huge comic buff when I was younger. I still have all the comics I ever bought (a collection that's 4,000+) Nowdays the best I can do is just read Wizard to see what's going on in the biz...

Anyone use to read the Thunderbolts? What's happened to them ? :ph34r: I left off when they changed M.A.C.H. 1 into a black guy.

dude. you can't head in hands yourself...

#17 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,174 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

The Army of Darkness comics aren't bad, sometimes a little overboard with the straight-from-the-movie jokes sometimes, but still funny stuff.

I totally agree with you there, i picked up Ashes 2 Ashes 1 and the 1 and 2 of VS Reanimator. I'm not sure if i'll pick up anymore.

toopunk2lose.png

#18 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,174 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

and this is another not really shameless plug, because this a page from a comic we have on the back burner now and will probably never finish.

I should say I will never finish.  He writes hilarious stories and then i screw them up by being lazy and never finishing drawing them.

Hey man, I'm writting a script to a comic right now. My art is good but totally inconsistent if you have time to collaborate.

my aim name is: lastlwaver0cker
email is aatchley at mindspring.com put COMIC!!! in the subject so i dont delete it.

EDIT - I almost forgot, I also have 3 "Episodes" (im not sure of the # of issues) of something i wanted to do a year ago.

toopunk2lose.png

#19 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

Y: the Last Man is totally awesome! One of the best new comics out there. Though it's been awhile since I've read it so I'm not sure where the story line is at right now.

I'm a big fan of Brian Michael Bendis who has written for Ultimate Spider man, Powers and done Torso, a great true crime graphic novel on the Cleveland, Ohio torso killings in the 1930s.

I also like the new Punisher written by Warren Ellis (? Shit I don't think so, I think it's someone else, I can't remember). Well speaking of Warren Ellis, pick up fucking Transmetropolitan. One of the craziest yet smartest comics in a long while. Totally worth it.

#20 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

I've been reading my friend's Batman novels (He's got Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush and Dark Knight Returns), I'm actually not as big a fan of Dark Knight Returns as everyone else I know is... my favorites are probably Long Halloween and Dark Victory, and Hush is just phenomenal.

Also, the Sin City novels are fantastic, I strongly recommend To Hell and Back which wasn't covered in the movie, but supposedly there's a chance they'll make a movie that's entirely based on that one alone. The first movie was The Hard Goodbye (Marv's story), The Big Fat Kill (Dwight's story) and The Yellow Bastard (Hartigan's story).

To Hell and Back has this guy Wallace who is the fuckin' man. He just rocks in all sorts of ways.

And I'm a HUGE Calvin and Hobbes fan. Like ridiculous huge.
Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

Posted Image

#21 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

i'm surprised there is no love for cerebus the aardvark.

-= george =-

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#22 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

werd to c and the h.

toopunk2lose.png

#23 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

Grickle.

"This thing is vibrating like a $50 milkshake!"

#24 KCMO

KCMO

Shizz Senior Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Y: the Last Man is totally awesome! One of the best new comics out there. Though it's been awhile since I've read it so I'm not sure where the story line is at right now.

I'm a big fan of Brian Michael Bendis who has written for Ultimate Spider man, Powers and done Torso, a great true crime graphic novel on the Cleveland, Ohio torso killings in the 1930s.

I also like the new Punisher written by Warren Ellis (? Shit I don't think so, I think it's someone else, I can't remember). Well speaking of Warren Ellis, pick up fucking Transmetropolitan. One of the craziest yet smartest comics in a long while. Totally worth it.

You nailed it! Y: The Last Man is great!
The Punisher is being written by Garth Ennis who also wrote Preacher. Preacher is a must-read for anyone who even remotely enjoys reading.
Missouri's number one import? Whiskey. Missouri's number one export? Sadness...

#25 dougly

dougly

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

"link for the lazy" i.e YOU

just felt like i'd add a few pages to this post.
team fire. represent

#26 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,161 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

If anyone has any recommendations for someone who really dug The Maxx I'd love to hear them. My comic friend says it's pretty one of a kind and didn't have much to suggest, other than more Sam Keith.

The Maxx is definitely incredible. One of my all-time favorites.

what did you guys think of the series after it shifted way into the future? i thought it was still interesting, but it lost a lot of its initial appeal to me. still, i was with the maxx from issue 1 (and even Image, for that matter. I think I have every goddamn launch book and number 1 issue from that era) and collected it to the end. I had a soft spot for the Maxx, it was such an abstract book.

The Savage Dragon has been consistent reading for years. Erik Larson is one of the best guys in comics.
'The Sentry' miniseries by Marvel a few years back was one of the coolest series they ever made. Creating a character that existed in the 60's believably and weaving him into Marvel Legend and not screwing up anything was most impressive.
The first 20-some issues of Punisher under the MAX line of comics is still the definitive story for that character. Garth Ennis is awesome.
Preacher was a great comic by Ennis as well, I'm only sad I never read it more.
Zero Girl by Sam Keith was pretty cool as well, very Maxx-ish, for obvious reasons. Never bought the second series for it though :(
The first 20 some issues of the original Gen13 were a great teen superhero book. Fun stories, great art. the book never really recovered until the very end after Campbell left.
The Dark Knight Returns is a great read, but I would hesitate to recommend The Dark Knight Strikes Again (the sequel). The story was definitely not that great.
Watchmen is probably the best comic series ever written.
The original graphic novel for From Hell is a fantastic book that i unfortunately didnt finish reading the whole way. much better than the movie though.
The first half of the Bone series was a really funny and original read.
And I still consider Age of Apocalypse era books great, albeit shallow, reads. I wish i could remember the name of the mini-series across all the X-books where Wolverine got his adamantium ripped from him, because the was the book that got me interested in comics to start with.
The Hellboy books are pretty great, though I have only read the very first one to completion. I've read parts of the others though.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#27 Akumu

Akumu

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

i love Erik Larsen's work

ZbtmVjy.jpg

#28 Guest_kevin_*

Guest_kevin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

what did you guys think of the series after it shifted way into the future? i thought it was still interesting, but it lost a lot of its initial appeal to me.

I enjoyed the whole series, but definitely liked the first half much more. I think the animated series chose a good place to end, even if they did alter the ending slightly. I read the entire series in a very short time, so it's all kind of blending together in my memory, but I definitely remember liking Julie's story/struggle way more than Sara's.

The first half of the Bone series was a really funny and original read.

I was thinking about mentioning Bone earlier.. I remembered a few people from a different forum talking how much they liked Bone and how the 1000+ page One Volume Edition was recently released. It was only ~$25 on Amazon so I picked it up with my last order. It's a pretty cool Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy story which I enjoyed a lot, and $25 for 1000 pages is a great price. I'm the type of person who usually prefers things to be a little more dark and sinister, but even the light-hearted sections (which is most of it) were a good. I've seen two other stories in the Bone universe.. One about Rose's backstory, and another prequel about a different Bone. Has anyone here read them? I'm probably going to by myself a stack of graphic novels for xmas, but I'm not sure if they're worth picking up. They're also re-releasing the single volumes in color now, but you can get the full series in b&w for the same price a single volume or two.

Also, has anyone tried the Bone adventure game? I played through the demo and it was a neat idea, but I didn't feel very compelled to purchase the full version. Especially since it only covers the first (of seven?) books. I'd recommend trying it out for fans of the series, as it seemed pretty faithful.

One last thing.. Did anyone else notice Grandma Ben in one of the final Sandman books? I forget if it was volume 10 or Endless Nights, but she was working at an inn. She was only in a few frames, but I'm fairly certain it was her.

#29 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,161 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

i wish i had read sandman, i remember seeing it when it first came out but it seemed too grown up for me at the time.

and i agree that the animated series ended at a good point, but the subsequent comics also changed about characters that gave them more depth.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#30 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,174 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

i still would like an artist to collaborate with on a comic book.
SERIOUSLY. This would be like my dream come true.

toopunk2lose.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users