4703 replies to this topic

#4696 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,703 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

I've been laid off, that's what happened to me at my former job. The company isn't doing too well; four other people were let go too. They'll try to get me a job with this other company and some of my friends' jobs have openings. My old job said it's "temporary" but I doubt it and if they actually do want me back I'm not sure I'd take it.

That seriously blows, man. I hope that turns around for you ASAP, bro.

I think my Uber account got phished by someone posing as a support rep. It seemed weird at the time when I got the initial call, but I never had to deal with support because I've never had a problem in over a year of driving (quite the opposite, it's been overwhelming smooth and easy). I thought the guy on the phone sounded nervous and weird, but I chalked it up to someone being new or just bad on the phone. Looking back at it I'm a fucking idiot for divulging the information that I did that would give them access to my account. It happened on Sunday and I didn't drive for my three days of my weekend so I didn't notice anything weird until my direct deposit didn't hit my account on time. That's never happened before so it was strange, but I decided I'd give it a day. That same night as I was out working it cashed me out "automatically" twice, which has also never happened and I didn't initiate the instant payment option. Chalked that up to a bug in the system or something and figured I'd check with the local office on Monday. When it happened again tonight after only being online an hour I was definitely feeling anxious about it. That's when it hit me that it started just this week and I had a sinking feeling. I tried to get the message support going but I was getting no SMS response and I realized I was having the same problem when I was trying to call passengers and I was getting an automated message saying my number wasn't valid. My first thought when that happened was that it was just a result of a passenger with a bad phone (it happens) but two times is a coincidence and three times is a pattern. At this point I called the support line and laid out the whole issue, and they verified my number was not the one associated with my account. The support team contacted me back and will be in touch after they get into it, assuring me I will get my payment and this will be resolved. Just super fucking sucks to not be able to work this weekend (I really need to, ugh) and having this feeling of being robbed, essentially. What kind of piece of shit does that? Rhetorical question, I know, but it's infuriating to be taken for a ride like this, especially when I know better and just want to kick myself in the balls for being so stupid.

At least my primary job went well and I felt like I was crushing it today. Gotta work two late swing/graveyard shifts this week so I'll probably get some time to get paid to play Odyssey.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#4697 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

my boss has apparently been involved in CBD research lately and so we have been discussing that and MMJ and i am having to walk a fine line with letting on how much i know lol

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#4698 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Seriously thinking I better start job hunting.  I love where I work, and truly believe in their mission.  I also have good friends there.  But my department's management has become all kinds of clusterfucked.

Spoiler

Sigh.  I want to stay, especially considering that if I stick this out and prove I can do what they're asking, it's highly likely I'll be receiving a promotion into my first management-level role.  But I don't know how long I can go with living every day questioning if I'm doing the right thing.  I do not want to be a stereotypical help desk guy long term, that's for sure.  I left that shit long ago, for a reason.  

lol I guess I better never open this thread at work again

#4699 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

I'm at a similar position, Ranger.

Thinking about looking for another job. I like where i work, and the work i do here. But i feel like i'm underpaid and there's no possibility of vertical movement. I don't really want to go through the entire job-hunting process again, but.. it might be something i need to do. Still trying to decide. I did looked around and poked around some companies with people that i know.. so, i might get an idea how hard or easy would be to make a move.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#4700 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

i think almost every day on my way to work i see at least one car almost wreck or just act like a complete jackass jumping across 4 lanes of traffic to run a red light to cross traffic to a Starbucks in a strip mall. The parking lot has like 6 actual parking spots and there's a fender bender in that lot at least once a week. it's staggering how reckless and dumb people can be to get some coffee.

today a guy was in the gas station on the other side of the highway from the Starbucks and he had two options: he could come out to the light, drive straight through the light and take an easy left into the strip mall. Or, he could pull out into 4 lanes of traffic with about 50 feet to navigate over to a turning lane at the light to try to take a left onto the same road. obviously, he took option 2 while holding a middle finger out the window and showing no fear in slamming the gas to get over there.

i wish this was just a random anecdote, but i see this basically every single day. my commutes lately have been between an hour and 90 mins both ways due to construction, accidents, and traffic, and the clear pressure points where people just consistently make really terrible decisions for dumb shit like "i need coffee" or "i need to get to Chipotle" is really starting to wear on me.

to all men and women with short, pleasant commutes: cherish them. it is a life i will never know.

music face, like a dying frankenstein, his jaw becomes dislodged....see the profile of him, the profile of shame

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4701 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yikes. Yeah one of the factors I always keep in mind when weighing Staying Vs Leaving is that I can literally walk to my work if I wanted to. I've done it but it takes like 30 minutes which is fine in the morning but sucks tacked on to the end of the day, especially because I usually have somewhere I need to go after work
(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#4702 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

I just had my shortest unemployment period. The weekend I was laid off I was contacted by the company I was going to apply to and which one of my friends works at. I had a successful phone interview on Monday and then a successful in person interview on Friday with an offer that day. I think I'll enjoy working there. I'm getting a significant pay increase, will have unlimited time off, great benefits, plenty of room to grow, and work with one of my friends again. I start working on the 26th since the company has the entire Thanksgiving week off.

My role at the company is QA Analyst.

#4703 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

^ That's so awesome, dude! Hope it's just as great for you as it sounds!

On the subject of "shortest unemployment period", I had a similar experience before landing my current job; I was unemployed for like 7 or 8 days :lol:

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#4704 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

HR just sent out a Thanksgiving statement from the Owner of our company thanking "every one of you for everything you do" and how both of his companies have been growing dramatically "because of all of you."

He then goes on to list literally every department...except for IT. Ya know...that one department that was literally and physically helping these companies grow the way they have by having myself and my boss go to the new office locations and set them up and running wires and getting the offices connected to the internet and company network. Like when I started four years ago, we had 4 offices. We now have 12 and we started an entire new company providing IT Service to customers (not in my job description or a part of my contract, yet I still have to work with customers...) I think I posted this in the thread in September but this is the same dude who made a point to bring up in a face to face conversation with me that he saw I had a work anniversary, to which I responded "yep, 4 years went by fast." and that was the end of the conversation. No "thank you", no "good work", no anything.

So yeah I'm just going to get serious with looking for a new job. This isn't a surprise and this isn't even my biggest gripe and it's not the last straw or anything because I've been beyond the last straw for several months (honestly probably years) now, but this is just further reinforcing I am not appreciated at this job so fuck it. Like this is too unimportant and petty to be the last straw, especially because if he did thank us specifically I probably would have just rolled my eyes since it's just empty words. I updated my resume the other night anyway so I'm gonna start looking with my time off the next few days.

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users