1872 replies to this topic

#1846 Trohnics!

Trohnics!

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

The Original Agatha Christie: Poirot series in order as best I can. Currently only on book 2, Murder on the Links.

I've also been reading a random series I found called: Bernie and Chet. It's a detective/P.I. novel mystery series, but from the perspective of the dog-partner. It's pretty interesting how the author handles situations and divy-ing information the story progresses through the eyes of a dog. A much simpler read than Poirot, but still a page turner although somewhat predictable.

Sy3yrKe.png?3

#1847 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

Started Jeff Vandermeer's Anihilation last night, and one chapter in, I'm feelin' it. Hopefully the rest of the book shapes up to be decent.

toopunk2lose.png

#1848 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:41 AM

Started Jeff Vandermeer's Anihilation last night, and one chapter in, I'm feelin' it. Hopefully the rest of the book shapes up to be decent.

I’ll be interested in reading your final thoughts. I went into that one with high expectations, but it left me feeling flat. This was well before the movie came out, which I was pleased to say was a more entertaining experience for me.

#1849 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Fight Club 2.

Haven't finished it yet but it feels like it was phoned in. Mediocre!

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#1850 TETSUOOOO!!!

TETSUOOOO!!!

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:16 AM

Just finished James W. Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me.

This book outlines epochs throughout history, such as 1492 and the second voyage of Christopher Columbus, the Civil War, the "Nadir" (1890-1940, the post-Reconstruction era), and other significant events throughout Europe and United States' histories. What this book deals with is the inaccurate narratives provided in samples of U.S. history textbooks adopted in high schools' curricula (e.g. books circa the 70's and early 90's). It was a very educational read, and the narrative is wonderful in giving a fuller spectrum of perspective in regards to African Americans, and American Indians. It makes me wonder why I wasn't interested in history classes until I started attending college, which Lies My Teacher Told Me addresses at length. 

Now I'm reading Franklin D. Roosevelt and The New Deal by William E. Leuchtenburg. I currently have a niche for reading random history books. 

#1851 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Im going through the space odissey.

Finished 2001 and 2010 and i'm about 30% into 2061.

So far, all awesome.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://ko-fi.com/tibone/

#1852 Smeg

Smeg

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

Lies My Teacher Told Me was pretty good. You'd probably also be interested to read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee if you haven't.

2010 was the best of the space odysseys. 2061 was decent but got a little weird in parts. 3001 was a disappointment.

I've started on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. Red Mars was really good, looking forward to the rest.

#1853 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:16 AM

You'd probably also be interested to read Bury My Heart  Shell at Wounded Knee if you haven't.

FTFY.

2010 was great, indeed. 2061 is going okay so far. It reminds me more of "hammer of the gods" which is a good Clarke novel. I still think he can't possible top Childhood's End or Rama, but i like his style a lot.

I'm ready to embrace the weirdness.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://ko-fi.com/tibone/

#1854 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

I just finished Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, my third Philip K. Dick novel (the others being A Scanner Darkly and Do Androids Dream...). While my least favorite of the three, it was still an enthralling experience however confounding. I think Dick's obsession with identity makes him one of the most enduringly relevant authors of the 20th century, sci-fi or otherwise.

#1855 Smeg

Smeg

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Didn't care much for that one. Dick really seemed to forget what he was writing about before he got to the end :P I'd recommend Ubik next if you're still interested in more.

#1856 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

I thought it said "Butt Hurt at Wounded Knee" the first pass. Had to go back and check, 

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#1857 Smeg

Smeg

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

If your butt hurts that bad you probably shouldn't worry too much about the knee

#1858 TETSUOOOO!!!

TETSUOOOO!!!

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:12 AM

Didn't care much for that one. Dick really seemed to forget what he was writing about before he got to the end :P I'd recommend Ubik next if you're still interested in more.

I can vouch for Ubik, it is a good read. I've read A Scanner Darkly twice now; much better the second time around, honestly. It's almost like a William S. Burroughs prose, but in a post-modern setting (albeit the story takes place in 1994).

#1859 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

Oh I'm hooked, PKD is second only to David Foster Wallace when it comes to mid-late 20th century writers for me at this point. Both are highly imperfect but so idiosyncratic that I'm enchanted by just about every page.

#1860 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

I'm enjoy Fangamer's new book on speedrunning.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users