Photo

Books... reading any?

1873 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_christpuncher_*

Guest_christpuncher_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:57 AM

im reading a collection of tales by H.P. Lovecraft. diggin' it.

#17 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:18 AM

Then I'm gonna be reading the Worm Ouroboros.

Man, I tried to read this as a kid. Didn't work too well, probably because I just wasn't old enough. Let us (me) know how it goes.

I'm in the middle of Quicksilver, been slacking on my reading a bit :(

Starting about halfway through it got quite boring, especially with Eliza's diary. But after that it's smooth sailing, kinda like The Fellowship of the Ring.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#18 Guest_Scar420_*

Guest_Scar420_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:13 AM

Posted Image

#19 TheRealFalkBlues

TheRealFalkBlues

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:56 AM

I just finished the entire "Bone" series by Jeff Smith for the 5th time in the past year. Now reading "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto" by Chuck Klosterman a second time. Good books. I'd reccommend both.

unlike dudes, girls don't tend to hide Gak or Squand in their rectum.

R.I.P D. Brown

Mark is the chosen one!
Posted Image

#20 Gurthang

Gurthang

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

I will be reading this and this as soon as Amazon delivers them.

Currently reading nothing. Finished Wolves of the Calla several weeks ago. Waiting for the next one to come out in paperback. (I hate hardbacks)

#21 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

I will be reading this and this as soon as Amazon delivers them.

The first one was totally sweet. The second one looks totally sweet as well.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#22 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

Currently reading nothing. Finished Wolves of the Calla several weeks ago. Waiting for the next one to come out in paperback. (I hate hardbacks)

Books 6 & 7 are in paperback, they're just still the larger dimensions.
I read the Dark Tower series last year and I'm anxious to know what you think of the last 3 books once you've read them.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#23 Gurthang

Gurthang

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

I like the small paperbacks so I won't be reading the last two for a while.

As far as the series goes, I probably picked up the first one about 15 years ago and I re-read all of them from the beginning when I get a new one to refresh the story in my mind. So far, I think my favorite has been the Drawing of the Three.

#24 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,412 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

I just finished the Lord of the Rings last weekend. I am now getting sucked into the appendix of The Return of the King, because aside from ridiculous family trees and impossible to remember lists of kings and heirs, it gives summary to a lot of awesome stories that i'd be missing out on if I put the book down after "the end". Like the ban of the valor, the fall of the numerian for trying to enter the undying lands, the death of sauron, the parallel to Frodo and Elrond's wife, Elrond's brother choosing to be mortal and becoming the first Numerian King, the lossoth (who were actually people who lived in snow and ice, not fire as castlevania would portray... ICE FTW), stuff about Beren, and such. There are still over 100 pages left for me to read, and it goes a lot more slowly for being told as a history and not a narrative. Shit is too huge.
Silmarillion will be next, and then probably Lost Tales and the Hobbit afterwords. I've got to make up for not having read any of this before.

5/5

#25 Gurthang

Gurthang

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

I just finished the Lord of the Rings last weekend. I am now getting sucked into the appendix of The Return of the King, because aside from ridiculous family trees and impossible to remember lists of kings and heirs, it gives summary to a lot of awesome stories that i'd be missing out on if I put the book down after "the end". Like the ban of the valor, the fall of the numerian for trying to enter the undying lands, the death of sauron, the parallel to Frodo and Elrond's wife, Elrond's brother choosing to be mortal and becoming the first Numerian King, the lossoth (who were actually people who lived in snow and ice, not fire as castlevania would portray... ICE FTW), stuff about Beren, and such. There are still over 100 pages left for me to read, and it goes a lot more slowly for being told as a history and not a narrative.

5/5

If the stuff in the appendices interests you, you should definitely read The Silmarillion. It may be tough at first (my first time I think I was about thirteen and I couldn't get through the first section) but it's definitely worth it once you get to the meat of the stories. Now I like it better than the LOTR.

#26 Guest_Battlemaniacs_*

Guest_Battlemaniacs_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:28 AM

I finished reading Philip Pullman's trilogy His Dark Materials last week. I really recommend that you give it a try as it is a great story. It's a little childish at first, but once you get through the first chapters of the first book, it gets a lot better.

Now, I started Angels & Demons, the "sequel" to DaVinci Code. So far, it's good but it's a little bit too unrealistic, I mean, a plane that fly at mach 15!?!?! :huh:

#27 larah

larah

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Wrinkle in Time.

And still trying to get through One Hundred Years of Solitude.

#28 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore.

#29 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

I've been reading this at home when I do.

I went through this many times at work, and it cracks me up..
and this is classic..(duh)..nice re-read
.\|/.

#30 JoeMusashi

JoeMusashi

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

Christpuncher, H.P. Lovecraft is awesome. I'd love to have a book with a complete collection of his works. Or, short stories at least. Last book I read was Promise of the Witch-King by R.A. Salvatore. I haven't started anything else yet, but I may take another shot at The Silmarillion. Actually, I've been reading my Calvin and Hobbes books, because they're just so good, but those are comics.
mercatfat: no, man
circumcision has WAY better aerodynamics

mercatfat: it's like, you're driving an Element
and I'm in an Audi TT

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users