3625 replies to this topic

#1 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

I'm going to buy myself a basic home recording setup so I can start making tunes again. I think I've made up my mind about the Keystation 49e MIDI controller, now I need a mic for recording acoustic instruments (string bass, violin, guitar) and an interface to plug the mic into, and also for electric instruments (bass and guitar).

Some mics I'm looking at are the Samson c01/c02 and the Behringer B-5. I also hear that the Shure sm-57/58 is "legendary" but it's a dynamic mic. Condensers are better for recording right?

I still have a lot of research to do on interfaces, there are tons of options. I'm pretty sure I want phantom power though, for the mic.

What do you guys use for mics and interfaces?

#2 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

i dont know if you remember this thread... but
http://theshizz.org/...11081&hl=preamp

Probably not a suprise, but as far as dynamic vs condenser... it just depends. You cant always use a condenser for really loud applications (guitar amp/ bass drum). Condensers are typically known for maintaining the high end better for cymbals and certain acoustic instruments, but there are no rules. They are generally more expensive. I want to try ribbon mics one day but those can get even pricier (as well as being more fragile). Past a point, experience and execution will make much bigger differences than what you own, although everything helps....

The majority of my acoustic guitar recordings were done with an akg c3000b, which was a pretty nice fricking mic for cost. I ran it into a m-audio soudcard / breakout box 2 preamp .... However, I mightve blown it trying to mic a guitar cab about a year ago :( . Either way, there is a (relatively inexpensive) mic / preamp combo you have a reference for (dragon warrior for instance is akg c3000b on acoustic, and the akg c3000b with treble cut mixed with direct in for bass).

pingo if you are going to record clean electric, alot of that can be done by just pluggin the guitar straight into the preamp also. My zelda 1 underworld clean solo is done this way, as well as all my guitars from my dod collab with raub/creeper/spook (lots of delay there, tho).

time to tank a can o sparks and get back to work.
.\|/.

#3 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

whooah that's an expensive mic. My goal is to get a mic, keyboard and audio interface all for around $400 or less.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I do need an interface, because the only input to my computer is a 1/8" jack.

This recording engineer at my school said that there are huge compatibility issues between interfaces and recording programs, and that I should decide which program I'll be using before I buy an interface.

I think I'll continue this in the recording thread.

#4 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

considering that expensive condenser mics go for 1k-2k and other ones (u47 or something) can demand much more, the c3000b is (like I said) relatively inexpensive for a large diaphram condenser... which is most likely the kind of mic you want.

also, I almost never buy music equipment new: you could probably find that mic for close to $200 used........
.\|/.

#5 Naz

Naz

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

i've heard nothing but amazing things about rode mics. the nt1-A runs about $200 new.

a sure sm-57 will be cheap, (they're $90 new) but it probably won't sound amazing for acoustic instruments...

#6 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

i've heard nothing but amazing things about rode mics. the nt1-A runs about $200 new.

yea I hear good things about the nt1a too. I know johnmfer uses them to mic his guitar cabs. I know you dont have alot of money to spare for this, but if you are putting alot of time into NEStalgia or whatever, it makes no sense to me to buy the dirt ass cheapest condenser mic possible to record... but thats just my opinion... 200 doesnt seem like much to me, because I spend more than that on rent every month and I certainly dont live extravagantly.
.\|/.

#7 IBBIAZ

IBBIAZ

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

For a cheap condenser that will do everything that you want, take a look at an MXL 990. It's a large-diaphram condenser, so it'll have a brighter sound than a small one. It's about $60, oooor you could get a bundle with an MXL 990 & 991 for $100. The MXL 991 is basically just a small diaphram version of the 990 - it's better for drums and the such.
Posted Image

#8 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:13 AM

I agree with IBBIAZ mxl makes good cheap condensers that usual take phantom power. i have one. you can get some now for around 49 to 60 bucks, and it would be good for acoustic instruments. the sure is a work horse , and legendary, but its legendarly know for amping snares and amps. go with a nice condencer for acoustic, in a sound proof room. those fuckers can pick up the SLIGHTEST detail.
Posted Image

#9 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image
This is all you need. Built in compression and distortion, too!

#10 Dennis

Dennis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:44 AM

i'm not sure if you are planning on miccing a full drum set, but this was the smartest purchase i ever made for that purpose, i think. though a shure sm57 works MUCH better for the snare. and wood snares > metal snares.

i have found that the two condensors found in that set are AWESOME for vocals, and they also worked pretty good for acoustic guitar, as well. the bassdrum mic in there also worked pretty good when miccing a bass amp too.

#11 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:28 AM

the only advice i can give on condenser mics is the advice my recording professor gave my class:

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY SOMETHING GOOD. cheap condenser mics are shit, and by the time you go through a few of them, you would have saved enough money to buy something decent/good.

i have no working knowledge of this advice, but it seems pretty sound to me. condenser mics are far more fragile than dynamic mics, so cheap construction leads to broken mics and/or terrible sound.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#12 Guest_Tom Guycot_*

Guest_Tom Guycot_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

I'll have to take a picture of the bootleg recording setup that bucky and I have.

One mic to rule them all

#13 Guest_spamtron_*

Guest_spamtron_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:13 AM

Posted Image
This is all you need. Built in compression and distortion, too!

BIFECTA.

#14 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for discussing guys.

I wrote down the names of the 6 mics mentioned in the thread so far, and I'm going to take it to school, there's this one guy I know and a teacher who are very knowledgable about recording and engineering and all that. I guess I can stretch my budget a bit, because that Dragon Warrior recording DOES sound really awesome.

Now...on to USB or Firewire interfaces. I heard that there can be major compatibility issues between interfaces and recording programs. Has anyone experienced problems like this? I'm going to start looking at interfaces today. All I know right now is that I need at least one 1/4" input for guitars and an one XLR input for mics. I think phantom power is pretty much necessary since most mics seem to need it.

#15 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:27 PM

Now...on to USB or Firewire interfaces. I heard that there can be major compatibility issues between interfaces and recording programs. Has anyone experienced problems like this? I'm going to start looking at interfaces today. All I know right now is that I need at least one 1/4" input for guitars and an one XLR input for mics. I think phantom power is pretty much necessary since most mics seem to need it.

you could just buy a cheap mixer and plug it into the 1/8th inch jack in your soundcard.

i have a yamaha mixer that i purchased new for $100 and its awesome for that kind of stuff.

if you only need a couple of inputs, you could get an even cheaper mixer (i believe behringer makes some decent 2-4 channel stuff for pretty cheap).
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)