Photo

The home recording thread

3375 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_OmegaDonut_*

Guest_OmegaDonut_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

This is the latest toy I've added to my small but growing collection. It's a nice little USB interface with XLR inputs (with phantom power), 1/4 inch guitar jack, MIDI input/output, plus a bunch of other onboard effects. The onboard effects are probably just some unnecessary extra costs if you're planning to supply your own distortion and other effects through other means, but it works out for me as I'm not looking to invest in effects pedals and the like.

#17 Naz

Naz

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

i've said it elsewhere, but i'm really begginning to love the line6 toneport i got. unfortunately only the more expensive model ($199) has phantom power on the mic inputs... but its nice because you get all kinds of modelling effects for guitar/bass/voice.

but as long as you use a line input, mig's cheap mixer idea would probably work fairly well. some of the chepo ones won't have phantom power though.

#18 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

some of the chepo ones won't have phantom power though.

good point.

this is the mixer i have. it has phantom power (though i haven't needed it for anything) and thus far i've been pleased as punch with everything i've needed it for.

it's definitely a good price, and you can probably find one on ebay for even cheaper (i believe der spunkman got one recently).
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#19 IBBIAZ

IBBIAZ

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

I've got a Lexicon Omega, which works fine for what I do. It has 4 1/4" inputs, 2 XLR, MIDI In/Out, Phantom power, instrumental line in, effect send/return. Anything you'd need for a beginning studio - it's even a soundcard! It's a bit more expensive than the others at $300, but it includes Cubase LE. I'd really recommend taking a look at it.

http://www.musicians...ware?sku=245505
Posted Image

#20 Guest_gcrites80s_*

Guest_gcrites80s_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

i'm not sure if you are planning on miccing a full drum set, but this was the smartest purchase i ever made for that purpose, i think. though a shure sm57 works MUCH better for the snare. and wood snares > metal snares.

i have found that the two condensors found in that set are AWESOME for vocals, and they also worked pretty good for acoustic guitar, as well. the bassdrum mic in there also worked pretty good when miccing a bass amp too.

One of my old drummers had that mic setup and really dug it.

#21 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

i have a berhinger mixer, those things rock!!!! as for your interface, im sure they all are for the most part phantom powered, and have a switch to turn it on and off. a nice looking cheap interface, that is usb i think, is a TASCAM one. and it has phantom power.
does it even matter , USB or firewire? isnt fire wire just faster? i dont think it effects quality.
but i must again, emphisize da behringer mixers. nice , and dont break the bank.
Posted Image

#22 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

hmm using a mixer instead of an interface sounds like an idea. I wonder how the quality will be affected though? My Mac has a regular 1/8" jack for the line input. I have no idea about other specifications.

What do most mixers have as an output? The only one I've seen in person is my friend's little mixer, which has those red and white stero outputs.

I'll ask my in-school expertsabout the mixer idea too.

#23 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

the out on my mixer is an rca out (aka, those red and white jacks). i just use an rca to 1/8th inch cable.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#24 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

Yeah I could always get adapters.

So far, in general, it seems that the only difference between mixers and interfaces are the types of plugs they use. Is there more to it than that?

I think I'll buy my MIDI keyboard soon, then decide on a mic, then maybe try my friend's mixer on my computer before I decide on which kind of interface/mixer to buy.

#25 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:38 PM

EDIT: i answered my own question. and fixed my problem.
Posted Image

#26 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

Does anyone know what use this could be? http://www.m-audio.c...ansit-main.html It seems like just an extra thing that could be bypassed by going from the external synth module straight into the sound-in. Is there an advantage to going through the USB port?

#27 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Judge Dredd, Motherfucker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,245 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

i use a shure 575S omnidirectional condenser mic...if anyone has info on this please let me know..because i shure as hell cant find any!!! ahaha

it was made in the late 50's i think...it's got a single mono output, on off switch...i use it for everything.

huh1.gif

#28 Dennis

Dennis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

http://www.wle-shop....tinued/575s.pdf

looks like a precursor to the sm57

the "as a lavalier microphone" picture is fucking hilarious.

#29 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

I'm definitely looking to get a new mic, so this thread is helpful. I used to be able to use my dad's, which did really well with vocals. But now I'm just using this really shitty one (although the acoustics didn't sound too bad in my latest song... there was just a lot of noise.

Pingo, you'll have to mention what you decide on and why.
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#30 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

Now...on to USB or Firewire interfaces.  I heard that there can be major compatibility issues between interfaces and recording programs.  Has anyone experienced problems like this?  I'm going to start looking at interfaces today.  All I know right now is that I need at least one 1/4" input for guitars and an one XLR input for mics.  I think phantom power is pretty much necessary since most mics seem to need it.

you could just buy a cheap mixer and plug it into the 1/8th inch jack in your soundcard.

i have a yamaha mixer that i purchased new for $100 and its awesome for that kind of stuff.

if you only need a couple of inputs, you could get an even cheaper mixer (i believe behringer makes some decent 2-4 channel stuff for pretty cheap).

i have the same mixer (yamaha MG10/2) and i love the thing. runs 4 mics, keyboards, guitars through it all, and plugs into my soundcard.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users