3728 replies to this topic

#3706 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

The wiring in my apartment is soooooo terrible. The place was built in 1960, and literally nothing is grounded, which I think is causing a horrible screech. Said screech is pretty easy to gate/eq out, but it's still there, and it's still super annoying. I'm trying to record at home as much as possible for the several projects I'm working on at the moment, and not have to use someone else's space.

When I lived in Nashville, I had an apartment that was literally perfect for me in every way...except that, I suspect, it had massive current (relatively speaking) running through its old iron pipes. I actually measured it with an EMF meter and it registered at more than 100 milligauss in some spots - that's OFF the meter. This gave me a horrendous amount of guitar buzzing in every room, to the point that recording was impossible. There was no way I was going to convince the apartment to fuck with the water system and install dielectric unions or whatever, so...I moved. :(

Buhhhhh. That's very likely the situation here as well.

toopunk2lose.png

#3707 Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

You might be able to convince the powers at be that EMF is a health hazard. 

Which is complete bullshit, but could be something that they'd fall for. It might not be that expensive to fix, it can literally be as easy as installing some plastic pieces on your water heater. 

#3708 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

You might be able to convince the powers at be that EMF is a health hazard. 

Which is complete bullshit, but could be something that they'd fall for. It might not be that expensive to fix, it can literally be as easy as installing some plastic pieces on your water heater. 

I doubt they'll do anything that they don't HAVE to.

I have some buddies who use several (powered) storage units in town as practice/recording spaces, maybe they'll let me post up there so I can crank out some recordings.

toopunk2lose.png

#3709 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

I'm thinking of getting a subwoofer.  That seems to be one of the main bottlenecks in my mixing (besides general skill,/just doing it more)

I'm running these right now https://www.musician...io-monitor-pair  - and I've found myself going to earbuds and my car during my last mixes, just so I could hear what the bass *actually* sounded like.

My room's tiny, and I don't have many options to treat it.  Plus that sounds expensive.  Should I get a sub as my next small step in getting better at mixing?  Or is there something else I'm missing?

Also how do you connect a subwoofer?  To a separate output on your interface?

#3710 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

No on the sub, it'll only obscure your mixes more. In the type of music you do there should be no reason for you to go below 45-50hz anyway, and if your room is fucking up those frequencies there's no way you'll get anything accurate with a sub. And if your room is untreated and small, the sub frequencies will just build up in all your corners, top and bottom, and cloud up

Make sure you have proper speaker positioning first and foremost, form an equilateral triangle with the speakers and your head being the 3 points, then you should be able to get more accurate mixes, as for bass response there's only so much you can do there but having proper speaker placement and maybe getting a couple halfway decent bass traps will help a lot. Definitely no sub.

You can get the cheapest bass traps Auralex makes for maybe $75-100, but I wouldn't buy anything cheaper, Auralex should be your starting point and everything should go up from there, anything cheaper and you're buying useless foam that doesn't work (hell I don't even know if the Auralex stuff works either).

amTr0fm.png

#3711 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:02 PM

Offering a counterpoint to Snap's response, but only in regards to the sub.  I agree entirely with his comments on positioning.

Almost any room can be treated, even if you can't mount stuff on walls, and I have greatly benefited from using a sub.  I use a KRK S10 with my JBL LSR305s.

To connect it, you just insert it in the chain between your interface and your main monitors.  Audio interface L/R go into the sub, and then the sub goes out to the main monitors.  You can likely set the crossover frequency and volume so you can fine tune what you want the sub to handle and what you want the mains to handle.

All of that being said, there are people that mix without subs (and without treatment) that do great.  I think Stemage still has a largely untreated room and isn't using a sub.  His stuff sounds fucking amazing, but he's also a magical being, so take it with a grain of salt.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#3712 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

I've got carpet on the floor, and a few acoustic foam panels.  I don't know what kind of foam, but it seems to work?  It drastically reduced the reverb in my room, and when I put my ear up to it, it has that extremely quiet sound/feeling.

I do have my head at the point of the triangle.

But I'm still just straight up not hearing what my bass sounds like, until I get the earbuds or my car.  So in that sense, I guess it's more of a workflow problem I'm trying to solve.

#3713 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

I'd upgrade the speakers before getting a sub. You can get a decent pair of those JBL LSR305s or Yamaha HS5s on ebay for $200-$250, I'd go for that over a sub as you shouldn't really be mixing on 4 inch multimedia speakers. What VikingGuitar says is also true, but to get somewhere meaningful with a sub you should have a better starting point, so getting at least 5" studio monitors should be the first step. With 4" speakers and below, under a certain price point, you're getting multimedia focused speakers that have advertised low frequency response to 60 or 80hz but don't actually hit those frequencies at all, or sometimes worse they'll have a resonant peak at one of those and will fuck your mixes up worse. I do not use a sub and my room is currently completely untreated (I removed all my rugs and foam and it's just tiled right now, while I'm waiting to lay down hardwood and then wall treatments etc) and I am in no rush to get one until I am confident that it's what I actually need.

amTr0fm.png

#3714 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

Innnnteresting, thanks!

According to a tone generator plugin, my speakers do produce down to 30Hz or so...it's just that the volume falls off really quickly below 80Hz.

I think I can only hear up to 15KHz.

#3715 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

That means your speaker effectively only goes down to 80hz, to get 30hz you'll need a sub, even 8" speakers only tend to go as low as 40-45hz, something about physics and how far back and forth the speaker has to move to actually and accurately reproduce those frequencies. I still haven't found a need to be able to hear down to even 40hz, I'll usually highpass everything, including the bass guitar and kick drum, to 30-40hz.

amTr0fm.png

#3716 Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have a pair of Presonus Eris E5s, and they have no bass when compared to my old KRK Rokit 5s (I ditched them because they kept blowing tweeters and otherwise fucking up). So I went ahead and bought the Temblor 10 sub to go along with them, and it's pretty dope. Comes with a footswitch to instantly compare on/off, has a variable crossover, the works. 

#3717 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Funny, I'd been thinking about making a post about subs here.

A few weeks ago I had to replace broken rear-deck speakers in my car and adding a back-up camera, and while I was at it I added a small sub.  I really don't have a good reference for how I should set it up (volume, frequency cut-off, etc.) but think I have it sounding good now.  Older rock/metal albums albums have no sub content whatsover and poorly produced ones sometimes have crazily inconsistent sub frequencies.  For example, Metallica's black album sounds good whereas Justice becomes more unlistenable withe Lars' kick drum exploding every time he hits it.

I haven't actually listened to any of my own mixes yet... who knows what kind of insane sub content they have since I never had any sub to listen to.  My point is that even if you don't have a sub in your studio, you probably need to at least listen on some system with a sub and be mindful of sub content if you want a professional mix.

The other thing I wonder is if bad MP3 compression had destroyed useful sub content in some of the burnt CD's I'm playing.

#3718 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

Help out an old man here (*grabs  cane*).  

I've just started using a Reaper trial.  I recorded one track of audio.  Now when I go to record an additional track of audio the first track of audio is not audible.  What am I doing wrong?  

Thanks!

The Gemini Bells:

http://thegeminibells.bandcamp.com

And other stuff:

http://jamesmileshq.bandcamp.com/

Ruminations and other nonsense:

http://lastdelirium.blogspot.com/

#3719 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

Help out an old man here (*grabs  cane*).  

I've just started using a Reaper trial.  I recorded one track of audio.  Now when I go to record an additional track of audio the first track of audio is not audible.  What am I doing wrong?  

Thanks!

I really want to help with this, but need more info.  Can you include a screenshot of what Reaper looks like when you're about to record the second track?

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#3720 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

oh thanks.  I'm at work now, will have to screenshot later.  I basically armed a new track to record, hit record.  I could hear my input for the new track but could not hear the audio from the first track at the same time.  

Normally I would expect to hear the audio from the first recorded track playback at the same time I'm recording additional tracks (unless muted).

The Gemini Bells:

http://thegeminibells.bandcamp.com

And other stuff:

http://jamesmileshq.bandcamp.com/

Ruminations and other nonsense:

http://lastdelirium.blogspot.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users