3375 replies to this topic

#31 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

So far, I've decided on the Keystaion 49e controller. I'll keep you guys updated when I get some advice from some other people on mics and interfaces.

Last night, I tried recording my Midines on the computer using the equipment I have. The set up was keytar -> Midines -> NES (RCA output) -> converted to 1/4" -> converted to 1/8" -> computer sound in -> Garage Band.

I had to turn the input volume of the computer all the way up to get a good volume. Would that Yamaha mixer somehow amplify the signal? A USB/Firewire interface definitely would, give a louder signal than going straight into the sound in, right?

#32 Naz

Naz

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

either one would likely amplifie the signal, but usually if you're just recording a line input you have to have the level cranked pretty high anyways. (at least in my limited experience)

plus as long as your not getting too much noise in with the signal, you can probably further increase the level in garageband.

#33 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

This mixer looks really good http://www.zzounds.c...tem--BEHUB1204P

I've done some more mic research. Online I find nothing but great opinions for the Rode NT1-A. I had a pretty long talk with my recording expert friend at school about mics. We came to the conclusion that the Samson co1/co2 set would cover almost anything I'd use mics for at this stage. He said that despite the low price, they are good quality mics. He is buying a pair of Behringer B-5 mics for himself soon. He said that for recording bass, a good dynamic mic would work better than a condenser mic. That makes me wonder if I should buy one small condenser and one Shure SM-57.

I emailed the recording teacher at school, he replied simply with "It's a big subject -- let's talk about it in class on Thur." Normally that class is 2 hours of internet free-time, so I imagine I'll get a lot of info about mics by the end of it.

#34 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

Yeah for bass a really nice dynamic mic works wonders. Or you can get a nice kick drum mic also. For best results with bass you usually want to do direct in as well.

#35 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I'll probably be going direct in with all my electric stuff, I meant for acoustic bass.

#36 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

this is the mixer i have. it has phantom power (though i haven't needed it for anything) and thus far i've been pleased as punch with everything i've needed it for.

it's definitely a good price, and you can probably find one on ebay for even cheaper (i believe der spunkman got one recently).

I have one of these mixers too. I don't use it very often but it's pretty good for what it is and how much it goes for. It's pretty clean, at least compared to similar mackie and behringer models i've used in the past.

#37 Jadbgjoka

Jadbgjoka

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

I've been considering grabbing some recording equip, then I remember that I don't know jack about recording. I was wondering if anyone had some good sources of info, books, vids, collages, anything specific enough so I can get into some of the meathods, some info on gear and the theory behind it. Also, is this something you all just jumped into learning along the way with a lot of experimenting, or has it been something that came together gradually that you put a lot of research into?

#38 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

do you drum? i am interested in how peeps mic there drums and how many XLR imputs they use. i have a behringer mixer with prolly 6 xlr imputs, maybe four. i forget. if you want to mic your drums good, you have to have good imputs and alot of them, am i right?
i say go for a mixer with enough xlr imputs. as for me, i have a porta studio with 4 , and the mixer has for, so thats esentialy 8.
what are ya ganna do for drums, pingo?
Posted Image

#39 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

My mixer has four XLR imputs. I've TRIED recording a drumset before and four XLR imputs was enough for me, Kick snare and stereo overheads. any more imputs would have been overkill for me.
Sadly, no more full drumsets live at my house. :(

#40 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

I haven't put much thought into drums. I have a crappy drumset that I can play crappily. I can see why you'd need a lot of inputs and mics to record drums decently. I know nothing of the subject, but I'd imagine you'd want one mic for every piece of your set, plus one or two "overall" mics. Anyways, I'll pobably use MIDI drums, if I use drums at all.

Jab, my friend showed me this site: www.tweakheadz.com it looks like it has some good info and forums. Or more specifically, this page http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm look at the column on the left.

#41 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:52 PM

thanks for the link. if you really want to learn somthing interesting, read the 'mastering' link on that website. you thought you were finished when the song is finally recorded. this is a whole other aspect of song recording for the eletists.
Posted Image

#42 kanselmo

kanselmo

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

For you guys looking to record drums: more mics doesn't necessarily make for a better recording. With lots of mics you have to worry about phase issues. While going a bit more minimally will give you less stuff to tweak, the chances of it coming out with a decent, natural sound are actually higher. Use a couple overheads and a kick mic, and mic the snare if you want to.

If the OH mics aren't right on top of the cymbals, they'll give a good picture of the kit, especially if you spend some time positioning them. Use a tape measure to help in finding spots! To set up OH mics, one way to go is to draw a line (use a drumstick) dividing the kit in two, with the kick and snare in the center. Measure distances from this center line to taste, and you've already got a balanced stereo image of the kit. Use condenser mics for the overheads if you have them.

Bigger than that, though, the keys to getting good drum recordings are a) having a good, consistant drummer, and B) having a halfway decent kit that's tuned well. A nice-sounding room goes far, too - then it can be worthwhile to set up room mics, and, depending on the music, you may not need to close mic at all.

#43 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

I like kanselmos advice. I get some really good sounds with stereo overheads about 6 feet out (+ kick/snare), but I do have trouble picking up the toms sometimes. I'm not sure if I lack the drum tuning ability or if the kit I'm using is too old to get good seals on the heads.. or something of that nature.
.\|/.

#44 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

The biggest issue I consistantly face with miccing drums is getting a nice even sound from the toms. You really don't need to mic the snare, hihat or cymbals if you're gonna go with a minimalistic approach, the kick and OH are fine, BUT you really should consider getting individual mics for the toms. Sometimes I even go ahead and use another mic on the floor in front of the kit to pick up the bass from the toms and kick drum.

Anyway, I will go ahead and support the choice of that Behringer mixer. I have a lesser model of the same line and I am EXTREMELY happy with it, I have no doubts that the more expensive version is even more handy.

Also, go with the Keystation only if you're planning on not using much acoustic piano sounds. The M-Audio keyboards are good for synth stuff, but when it comes to pianos I'd really save up and invest in something of a higher quality.
Posted Image
nfsw

You sir, are a sociopath who gets off of insulting other people. People such as you, regardless of talent or merrit are a blight upon this world and aren't worth a single milligram of oxygen. Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you miserable, insecure, magalomaniacal bottom feeder.

#45 Jadbgjoka

Jadbgjoka

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the link, so much to read.......maybe 15 minutes.........a day........for a month.........wicked. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users