3728 replies to this topic

#46 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

Turns out my dad is getting my sister a digital piano for her birthday. I'll try and make sure he gets her one with MIDI plugs ;)

I think I'll still go for the Keystation, just to have something for basic note-entering. It's much more portable and I can use it on any computer without extra equipment.

#47 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

picked up this guy today:

Posted Image

AND 2 new band members, should be some new nintendoom here in a few months...

#48 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

I'm really jealous of how easily you find people to play nintendo music with.

#49 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:30 AM

Well, our old drummer started out playing in nintendoom to learn drums. He has been playing guitar for 15+ years though, and when his band needed a bass player I switched off to that and we put the nintendoom thing on hold. Shortly after that the band fell apart, and him and the drummer formed a new band. We drunkenly decided we should record the rest and he would hop on guitar to get it out of our heads. The drummer for his band lives with me, so he jumped on board to play drums. Now I dont even know what we will sound like because we went from people that maybe had 10 years total on there instruments to 30+. Should be interesting for what we can pull off now. If only we can find guitar player number 2.... <_<

It also didnt hurt that we got some sweet promotion from dave navarros radio station to open our eyes to the potential of actually being a touring band instead of a side project for everyone...

#50 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

The recording teacher at my school suggested that the Rode NT1-A would be the best single mic for my purposes (bass, guitar, violin). Everyone on the internet seems to like them, too. I'll probably go with one of those for now.

Now for the final piece: an audio interface.

The 2 guys at school said that plugging a mixer straight in to the computer might be very noisy. Those of you who plug your Yamaha mixer, Do you get a noticeable amount of noise? If not, do you think it's due to a soundcard upgrade or something? I'm on a Mac, so I really have no idea what kind of soundcrad I have. I think it might be noisy enough to justify paying extra for a firewire interface. Would a mixer cut down on noise at all?

#51 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

thanks for all the drum mic tecnique ideas. i duct tape my toms, becuase it is a great way to mask the fact that some one cant tune. also , somtimes i can get a nice resonating sound from my toms, but the floor tom sounds so gay that way, i just gatta have a flat low floor tom.
i really like my behringer mixer. its the one that provides a built in effects processor. nicey nice. it even has a retro classic LP record hiss efffect. but its a small pattern it fucking clicks. ive always wanted a dope ass record hiss effect that didnt sound like ass, it was a slong and steady pattern, not one that stood out as being a loop.
sweepable mids baby, gatta have those sweepable mids.
Posted Image

#52 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

My new audio setup:
M-Audio Firewire 410
R0DE NT1-A
Keystation 49e

Here's a test song:

Garage Band sucks ass, I'm gonna try this Ableton Delta Live program that came with the interface, and if that doesn't work, Im going to look into Pro Tools (most likely), Digital Performer, or Logic.

How do you get a good volume out of the final product without making it clip? In that recording, I think I managed to do it decently (though I still have a lot to learn about equalizing), but that's just barely, and the melody could still be a bit louder, but that's as far as I could go without it clipping. And it still clips a tiny bit, even more if your playback program has extra EQ settings.

EDIT: Abelton sucks far more than Garage Band.

#53 Insane_Penguin

Insane_Penguin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

Without reading this thread (though i probably should), I've started using Kristal Audion Engine for recording. It's free for non-commercial purposes, and I like it better than Audacity for multi-tracking and music recording.

Also, I recently got an Audigy 4 soundcard.

(not) Galbadia Hotel - My Game Collection

"Subway versus Quiznos? Who wins? I don't care; Tim Buckley's an asshole."
"All restaurants are Taco Bell"

tsih bich is CRUNKD

#54 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

So after taking a week setting everything up, figuring out different mic placements, and learning cubase, I've been helping law is dead (our sister band) track the songs for there upcoming split with mugger. This unit fricken rocks. I suggest anyone that has the extra cash to go out and by it right now. Its damn near transparent, what you hear in the room is what you get. I'll post some clips for those that are interested when we get everything done. Nintendoom should have some new live recordings so we can finally put the crap ones we have online now to rest. Now if I only had money for better/more mics...

#55 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

Are you talking about the Tascam thing you posted a picture of? What exactly is it? What does it do?

#56 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

its basically a computer interface for any software that has a mackie controller. It has 4 xlr inputs, up to eight channels each time you record. It has phantom power, automated faders, etc. I am using cubase right now with it, works pretty damn awesome.

#57 Naz

Naz

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:36 AM

How do you get a good volume out of the final product without making it clip? In that recording, I think I managed to do it decently (though I still have a lot to learn about equalizing), but that's just barely, and the melody could still be a bit louder, but that's as far as I could go without it clipping. And it still clips a tiny bit, even more if your playback program has extra EQ settings.

your going to have to use compression and/or limiting for this. (actually limiting is essentially compression.) basically it compresses the out of control peaks and transients to the point where you can then pump more gain into the song/instrument/etc.

also, using an eq to cut frequencies that aren't "nice" or needed gives you a bit more room to pump the gain, because any cut you make essentially means there's less audio in the sound wave.

if you're trying to boost an individual part in a mix, sometimes the best option is to simply reduce the volume of everything else.

but for the final mix you definitely need at least some compression to get it sounding anywhere near as loud as a "commercial" song.

#58 Guest_vegabond_moth_*

Guest_vegabond_moth_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:31 AM

Mics; Make sure you look at the specs and get a good SNR (signal to noise ratio) and frequency response. Condenser mics "sound" better because they have a wide frequency response. I have an Audio Technica AT2020, and MXL v57m. Those two mics cover what i need. Consider getting an SM57 or two as well for conventional sampling/field recording/guitar cab micing.

Interfaces: *THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN RECORDING IS YOUR PRE-AMPS* All the new combo interfaces have crap pre-amps on them. The SNR sucks on them, so they sound like shit. Noise is bad. The preamps on cheap mixers suck too, since they have to deal with electronic interference which brings down the SNR as well. You can have a good pre-amp going into your line level on your soundblaster, and it will sound better than an M-box or a Steinberg thing. I personally use a M-audio Audiobuddy pre-amp. It is about 80 bucks, and gives you nice, clean gain with two channels of phantom power. Make sure you use good instrument/mic cables like mogami and monster cable as well. They can be expensive, but they are worth it because they are more durable, have better connectors, and are normally electro-magnetically shielded, therefore reducing noise interference from other cables, speakers, etc. The rest of it is mixing techniques.

Mixing techniques: Make sure you have a "dead" room away from your computer for recording. This can be a closet with padding/blankets attached on the walls, a real treated room, w/e. Just make sure it dont echo when you clap your hands, and you dont hear anything from the outside. The reason for this, is because outside noise and computer noise is the thing that fucks up most recordings. Go listen to Moby's Play and you can see what im talking about. Make sure you use some kind of compression so you dont have your levels going all over the place. The only way you may not want to use compression, is the recording of acoustic instruments with lots of dynamics. Make sure you use some kind of noise gate on distorted stuff, because distortion naturally brings the noise audible, since it amplifies it. If it still sounds like crap to you, make sure you EQ, and use a multiband compressor (which is different from a regular compressor, as it compresses only certain frequencies. This makes it sound more "polished", and gets rid of harsh frequencies (which is the big reason why most amateur recordings sound bad, besides everything else).

Monitoring: For mixing, you must use some kind of good monitors. The alesis pro-one series are the best monitors you can get for under 500 dollars. They are pretty accurate, and don't really lie that much about your mix, so they translate well on other systems. You may wonder "why does my mix sound good on my speakers, but sound like shit in my car?" The reason is your monitors not giving you an accurate picture of the mix. Therefore, when you mix on those speakers they sound extremely different on other sets of speakers.

#59 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

your going to have to use compression and/or limiting for this.

The only problem with that, though, is that compressing acoustic instruments tends to kill any of the great dynamics they had (you can get away with a little bit of limiting). But EQ is an option, so long as it isn't too heavy.

So why did you go with that mic, pingo?
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#60 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

You guys know where I can get a good software based EQ? Like a dxi/vsti plugin or something. The programs I have just don't cut it in that department.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users