3698 replies to this topic

#1201 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

hey ya'll.  this isn't necessarily something that i have a chance to do right now because of moving but you guys might find something interesting in the curriculum.

http://www.playwithyourmusic.org/

check it out.  it looks promising.

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#1202 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

I know Stem uses Pod Farm for some stuff, but that rhythm tone is that Delta Blues.  Also, he's really damn good at mixing bass, so that might be some of what you're hearing.

For me, I've done DI forever.  I did one album miking a combo amp, but wasn't stoked with it.  I think I'm just way more used to creating a tone from DI than from mic placement.  I recently got a decent amp and cab and played around with miking it, but never found a tone I liked as much as my DI tones.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#1203 munzadeth

munzadeth

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

@Rize... Yea I think that's pretty true... except if you want any sort of metal sound, I feel like you need to be on a 'high gain' amp channel, just with the gain rolled back quite a bit (like knob straight up or lower).  The sound that I've heard out of the delta blues demos seems like more of an amp's clean channel that has a 'crunch' boost or something on it.  Like how a bunch of amps have a green (or clean) channel with an optional 'crunch' boost (for bluesy stuff) and a red (or 'lead'/high gain) channel...

I just haven't heard the delta blues sound any more overdriven than a crunchy clean channel, but maybe I just haven't found the right videos?

#1204 munzadeth

munzadeth

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I know Stem uses Pod Farm for some stuff, but that rhythm tone is that Delta Blues.  Also, he's really damn good at mixing bass, so that might be some of what you're hearing.

For me, I've done DI forever.  I did one album miking a combo amp, but wasn't stoked with it.  I think I'm just way more used to creating a tone from DI than from mic placement.  I recently got a decent amp and cab and played around with miking it, but never found a tone I liked as much as my DI tones.

Damn, I better go check out one of them Delta Blueses then!  Maybe it's just his mixing skillz that make it sound so good, but that rhythm tone definitely sits in the mix AMAZINGLY.

And wow I'm super surprised to hear that you always DI.  Made of Metal is DI?????  I might need you to do a VG University vid on that!

#1205 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I see many wonderful drum sets being talked about here and on other forums... But is it just me, or none of them is free? In my previous drum programming efforts, I used Guitar Pro and it sounded like ass (General MIDI), but I have yet to find something else that is free and that sounds better. I did download the free ns_kit7 a few years ago, but it doesn't actually sound that much better, if at all.

So, uh... help?

#1206 MichaelTheCrow

MichaelTheCrow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Just did a short Drum and Bass/Chiptune outro track for my upcoming gaming channel. I'm too lazy to carry over my DAW and transferring licenses from my laptop to my powerful gaming PC but really wanted to do something chiptune'ish without having to load up my laptop. This was actually written in Pxtone, if you're familiar with Cave Story then this is one of the programs Pixel has created and used. Tried to come up with a bassy chiptune synth mixing sine and saw waves but I may have put too much distortion and volume into it, thoughts?

First time on since 2013, what's up everyone?

#1207 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

nerds wont accept it unless there is an arp going throughout. then they'll even get t-shirts about it

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#1208 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sounds good, Mike.  I think that cetera has a bit of a point about the arpeggio thing, even if he was joking.  It sounds a little empty for this type of music.  Thinking back to other similar things I've heard, there's usually a bit more going on, and just have some sort of background arpeggio line would definitely do that.  However, I wouldn't make that a priority.  This sounds good for what you described it will be used for.  Right on!

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#1209 MichaelTheCrow

MichaelTheCrow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

No one else seemed to find any issues with the production other than it may be a bit too loud overall. I was actually thinking an arpeggio would be the right way to go, even have ideas to extend the outro, but for the length and what it'll be used for it's already enough. Thanks guys!

First time on since 2013, what's up everyone?

#1210 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

oh yea! def make it extra quiet. i always hate when chiptune outros come on. because if they are maximized, they can be sooo much louder than whatever show they followed

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#1211 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

Crosspost from the Essential VST/VSTi plugins thread!

For those of you still looking for amp sims, http://www.vstbuzz.com/ is a phenomenal website and every week they have a new software plugin deal, this week's being Studio Devil's "Amp Modeler Pro"! It's $80 out of its regular price of $150 right now. Check out the audio demos!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#1212 Vegeroth

Vegeroth

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hey peoples.

One of my last purchases I need to do for my home studio is a microphone for vocals. I'm looking at stuff here and there and it seems to me Blue Yeti / Blue Yeti Pro is getting great reviews, and it's price is pretty spot on for what I want to spend.

My possible inputs are Pod UX1's 1/4 jack and XLR jack.

Blue Yeti seems to be USB only so I'm not sure how this works.

Do any of you guys have mic recommendations or an opinion on the Blue Yeti?

Live as if you would die tomorrow, learn as if you would live forever.

#1213 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,657 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

The Yeti doesn't get very good recordings in my friend's acoustically treated bedroom, but my Samson CO3U does. That's about as far as my experience goes.

Also I recently got an MXL Black Widow from UniqueSquared for a fraction of the price. Can't wait to set it up.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#1214 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

I've been using a Behringer B1 for vocals and acoustic guitar and absolutely love it.  You can find them for less than $100.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#1215 Vegeroth

Vegeroth

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I've been using a Behringer B1 for vocals and acoustic guitar and absolutely love it.  You can find them for less than $100.

Actually this is right up my alley but my Pod UX1 does not have Phantom Power... which is a problem :|

As for the Samson... I'll look into it. I'll try to get the music shop to lend me stuff to try and record home to see how it goes.

Live as if you would die tomorrow, learn as if you would live forever.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users