1191 replies to this topic

#16 Geo

Geo

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

edit: any suggestions for developing a halfling rogue? he's too small to damage shit :(

All I play is halfling rogues :)

Like OptimusFunk said, rely on Sneak Attacks and attacks of opportunity. You're also good at ranged combat, so get a crossbow or something. Learn how to disable traps and pick locks if your DM is into that sort of game.
Posted Image

#17 Danowar

Danowar

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:13 AM

Good old D&D. Ah fun times. Was heavy into it in jr/sr high. My friends and I would game a few days a week, resulting in a lot of fun. We played AD&D, delved into Forgotten Realms a bit, dabbled with Planescape (or such I can't remember). We were so nerdy, we used graph paper to make out our characters (and some were quite elaborate) until we decided to draw one up on the computer at school.

As far as music goes, you want some dark soundtracks: Legend, the soundtrack to D&D maybe, Krull, Lord of Illusions, Quake (yes the original quake), Gladiator, LOTR (obviously), and a few cds from Erich Kunzel and perhaps some Wagner.
Schlurken: I like that movie just because I hump air when I hear a Transylvanian accent on a woman.
U KNOW THIS
Posted Image

#18 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

edit: any suggestions for developing a halfling rogue? he's too small to damage shit :(

Like OptimusFunk said, rely on Sneak Attacks and attacks of opportunity. You're also good at ranged combat, so get a crossbow or something. Learn how to disable traps and pick locks if your DM is into that sort of game.

Well, I play a monk so this isn't for me...we have a halfling rogue and he's pretty useless in combat, even as an additional target to draw attacks away from us. I think he needs to re-evaluate his feats though. Still, his melee is a pitiful 1d4-1

#19 TheMike

TheMike

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

I like the Baldurs Gate series. Does that count?

It's cool, but I would imagine the pen + paper part of it would be far too tedious.
"One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw. I am there."
- Charles Barkley

#20 Geo

Geo

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Well, I play a monk so this isn't for me...we have a halfling rogue and he's pretty useless in combat, even as an additional target to draw attacks away from us. I think he needs to re-evaluate his feats though. Still, his melee is a pitiful 1d4-1

Buy the kid a crossbow and let him take potshots, I guess.

Monks are freaking awesome.
Posted Image

#21 Metal Dream

Metal Dream

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

I'll always remember like 7 years ago when we met a bunch of good to nothing kids that hung out in youth centers claiming that they could kill a Tarrasque with a party of 5 X lvl 12 characters.

One claimed that he could, and listen to this, do 3 attacks at once with a dark palladin. He said that :

1- While swinging his sword, he could point the enemy with his finger to cause damage (Wrong because it has to be the opposite of the palladin, thus it's a harm on TOUCH or close to touch)
2- He had a ring that zapped the enemy (Said that he pointed the ring while swinging but after pointing.... :ph34r:
3- The sword striked the enemy

Now, hating stupidity like I do, I decided to DM a game and they said that I had to put 2 Tarrasque in it (Which the monster is unique)...
They said that if they lost, I could burn their character sheets...

So the game started, they played with their odd rules that made no sense...until a tarrasque came in their face.

Me: Anyone here has a holy weapon???
Them : No
Me: You're dead

Then someone totally wrote down that he had a holy weapon blahblahblah I didn't care because :

Me: Anyone here has ''Wish''?
Them : No
Me: You're dead

Burning those sheets was one of the most satisfying things i've done in my life :)
Proud To Be Part Of The RockLand Productions Since 2001

#22 TheRealFalkBlues

TheRealFalkBlues

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

God, I love playing D&D. Sadly, my main DM killed herself some three years back, and the new DM that I recently got left the group hanging about 5 months ago. Currently, Salazar Damascus, my level one Fighter, just got shot with an arrow for 11 HP of damage and 3 points temp STR reduction. That's how our only session ended. Has anyone seen any of the 8BT prestige classes? Those looked like they'd be good and fun to use.

unlike dudes, girls don't tend to hide Gak or Squand in their rectum.

R.I.P D. Brown

Mark is the chosen one!
Posted Image

#23 David R. Gumby

David R. Gumby

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

a big KS for Mdream's post.

i played d&d a few years ago, well we tried to play, after about 2 sessions of a new adventure
the dm stopped and made a new one to play. i didn't like our dm.
me and my friend have been trying to get a new game started, we just need a good dm.

#24 Xandraiin

Xandraiin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

Ah, hell yes. D&D.
I DM every couple of weeks with a couple of friends. Nothin' but good times.

#25 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

I can't fathom D&D ever since I heard this story a guy told about his character.

So he's some big brute race that has 4 arms, but two are immobile. Well one day in a dungeon crawl he encounters a fucking genie and is granted a wish. So he wishes to activate his second pair of arms.

And now he wields 4 weapons at a time.

sgy5Biv.gif

#26 Metal Dream

Metal Dream

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

Since we're in the subject, I found this today, it's funny

Top Reasons To Run In A D&D Game
Proud To Be Part Of The RockLand Productions Since 2001

#27 DeathShadow

DeathShadow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Im in a campaign thats on hold right now (until college starts again)

I play a rogue, but its AD&D... so... rules are slightly different

One thing that you reeaaaally have to learn is where your place in the party is. No matter HOW much you want to be in combat, after level like 4, there's no reason you should try to fight unless a circumstance pops up where you are useful.... because you cant hit shit and even if you do, you arent going to do any damage (backstabs excluded) ... its really annoying, but if your a theif, dont try too hard in battle... thats for battle mages and warriors to handle... and maybe anyone else with a bow
Week 1 (6/24): http://www.zshare.ne...154481135fcb41/

i just have to say i first read that as "marital" law

New rule: You and evilsonic have to get married.

it shows how the world truly works....girls start the problem and boys fix them

#28 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

D&D isn't really an RPG, it's a paper video game with roleplaying crudely bolted on the ass like an aftermarket wing on a Honda. Still, as long as you accept it for what it is, it's pretty fun. I've been playing in a game here for a while, and I'm set to run a game this weekend.

It's hard to give strategy tips because a lot of that really depends on how the GM runs things. If he gives you lots of chances to sneak around, plan ambushes, and all that, then a rogue can do a lot of damage, or at least save the other party members some hurt by scouting ahead. If you just tend to run into enemies at close range, then a rogue is kind of useless.. although since they sneak attack when they flank, they can potentially do a lot of damage in a fight. If the GM runs a lot of skill-based encounters, where you have to be good at searching or bullshitting or winning horse races or something, then it'll matter what skills you have (and rogues fare well here, too, since they get a boatload of skill points).

One of the guys in the group I'm playing with played with some other GM who had a thing for ambushes. In that game, Improved Initiative was totally worth it, because fights tended to be quick and nasty, and whoever went first had a huge advantage. But otherwise, it's not really that useful. Combat Reflexes is only worth it if your GM provokes a lot of attacks of opportunity, and so on.

Halfling rogue: Yes, you suck in combat. What were you thinking, playing a halfling in the first place? God. Alright, the only thing you're good at is being small and sneaky, so exploit that. Max out your Hide and Move Silently. Find ways to be useful as a sneak, scout, and spy, and don't even bother with combat unless you really have nothing better to do. If you must fight, forget the ranged weapons (except for oil flasks in small dungeon corridors, which can be devastating at lower levels) and help your fighters by flanking and fighting defensively (or take Combat Expertise, which is a million times better) and assisting their attacks, or if you're feeling brave, try to hand out a sneak attack every round since the bonus damage is the same no matter what size you are.

Multiclassing is technically a bad idea since specialization gives you better returns, but I think multis are more fun and interesting, and they let you define your character a little better.

#29 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

D&D isn't really an RPG, it's a paper video game with roleplaying crudely bolted on the ass like an aftermarket wing on a Honda.

:blink: Huh? I totally disagree, there is PLENTY of roleplaying opportunity and it's up to the DM and players to make that happen. We've had sessions where the entire 5 or 6 hour time was spent talking with NPCs, playing our characters' personalities, and such. What IS an RPG then, if D&D isn't?

#30 DeathShadow

DeathShadow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

i'm an oldshooling rpger who believes that rpgs should be about exploring the world and living the story :P ... i hate when people get caught up talking to npc's or arguing for hours with each other... makes me feel like we've wasted time -_- ... especially since in real life, people try to get along more than argue... yet in dnd, its almost as if people WANT to argue with each other (sometimes) ...
Week 1 (6/24): http://www.zshare.ne...154481135fcb41/

i just have to say i first read that as "marital" law

New rule: You and evilsonic have to get married.

it shows how the world truly works....girls start the problem and boys fix them

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users