1188 replies to this topic

#31 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

D&D isn't really an RPG, it's a paper video game with roleplaying crudely bolted on the ass like an aftermarket wing on a Honda.

:blink: Huh? I totally disagree, there is PLENTY of roleplaying opportunity and it's up to the DM and players to make that happen. We've had sessions where the entire 5 or 6 hour time was spent talking with NPCs, playing our characters' personalities, and such. What IS an RPG then, if D&D isn't?

The basis of D&D is hack and slash and has been since it grew out of tactical wargaming 30 years ago. The system is overwhelmingly focused on combat, to the extent that character growth is reliant on killing lots of monsters and lists of things to kill make the most popular supplements. Character generation still consists mainly of choosing a generic orc-whackin' action figure (preferably with fully-munchkined stats) with which to go forth and do battle; the very idea of an effective non-combat character is ludicrous.

Simply put, any roleplaying you do while playing D&D isn't because of the rules, which do nothing to support or encourage it; it is despite them.

Many other RPGs offer more flexibility in character design and play style.

#32 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Oh. And...

I can't fathom D&D ever since I heard this story a guy told about his character.

So he's some big brute race that has 4 arms, but two are immobile.  Well one day in a dungeon crawl he encounters a fucking genie and is granted a wish.  So he wishes to activate his second pair of arms.

And now he wields 4 weapons at a time.

The thing that bothers me most about that story is that you've got this entire race of creatures with TWO USELESS ARMS. WTF?? :lol:

#33 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Wow thanks for the great tips Guys, Especially Wyatt! Also, thanks for the musical suggestions!

One thing I am a little unsure of is, I have a 9 in constitution, and as such, my HP for level one was a pinner 5hp. How the hell am I suppose to sneak attack when one hit could crumple me?!?! Perhaps I don't understand the exact science of the Sneak Attack. Can someone explain to me exactly what it is and how to do it?
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#34 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

One thing I am a little unsure of is, I have a 9 in constitution, and as such, my HP for level one was a pinner 5hp. How the hell am I suppose to sneak attack when one hit could crumple me?!?! Perhaps I don't understand the exact science of the Sneak Attack. Can someone explain to me exactly what it is and how to do it?

Well, see, here's the thing you need to understand:

First level characters SUCK AT EVERYTHING.

The fighter swings at stationary objects and misses. The wizard fires off his one magic missile or whatever and then he's ready to go home, and so forth. Point being.. I wouldn't expect to be able to do too much yet, and without some decent armor (which you can't afford, anyway) and high physical attributes, you sure don't want to get into fights.

As far as sneak attacks, those are simple enough. If your foe loses his Dex bonus to AC (either because he's just standing there not expecting to be attacked, or if for some reason he can't dodge around, or whatever), or if you have flanking, which is to say that a friendly combatant is directly on the other side of the enemy, then on a successful hit you do sneak attack damage in addition to your normal damage. At your level, it might be good for taking out a kobold guard, provided that you can sneak up on him, which you probably can't rely on doing unless you have maxed out skills and a really high Dex.

If you're the gamblin' sort, and you'd almost have to be to go adventuring at 1st level, you could get into a few fights and hope no one crushes you. Almost-worst case, if you go into negative HP, at least you can be stabilized with Cure Minor Wounds (or a Heal check that will probably fail). Otherwise, just wait for the meat shields on the front line to earn you a level or two, or at least wait until you have enough GP to afford better equipment and maybe some Cure Light Wounds potions so that you don't have to turn around and go home every time you get a booboo.

#35 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

As far as sneak attacks, those are simple enough. If your foe loses his Dex bonus to AC (either because he's just standing there not expecting to be attacked, or if for some reason he can't dodge around, or whatever), or if you have flanking, which is to say that a friendly combatant is directly on the other side of the enemy, then on a successful hit you do sneak attack damage in addition to your normal damage. At your level, it might be good for taking out a kobold guard, provided that you can sneak up on him, which you probably can't rely on doing unless you have maxed out skills and a really high Dex.

It also works if the enemy can't see you, like when you're wearing a ring of invisiblity. For every attack. With each hand.

That's why two-weapon fighting is so important. At max levels this is 6 attacks per round (3 with each hand), 7 if you've got a sword of speed or other abilities/feats/weapons which grant an additional attack/round, each with +10d6 bonus damage.

You are doing this every fucking round. You are a damage pumping machine. You will, quite literally, out-damage every other class, consistently.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#36 DeathShadow

DeathShadow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

The campaigns I'm in try to get out of that combat rut where thats the only way to level by rewarding heavily for acting in-character (so, being stupid when you really should be... or being creative in situations that make you a use to the party, which as a theif could mean, for example... if everyone somehow lost their money and you steal keys to empty hotel rooms for everyone)

and about the 2-weapon fighting....

um.... are you sure you have that right? ... for some reason i remember in 3rd edition that 2 weapon fighting only gives you 1 extra attack with your off hand, regardless of level or skill... and i remember Neverwinter Nights doing that too...
Week 1 (6/24): http://www.zshare.ne...154481135fcb41/

i just have to say i first read that as "marital" law

New rule: You and evilsonic have to get married.

it shows how the world truly works....girls start the problem and boys fix them

#37 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

um.... are you sure you have that right? ... for some reason i remember in 3rd edition that 2 weapon fighting only gives you 1 extra attack with your off hand, regardless of level or skill... and i remember Neverwinter Nights doing that too...

You're right with the first tier of Two-Weapon Fighting. I'm talking about plunking multiple feats into the chain. It's not soooo terribly useful in early levels, but totally pays off as you approach level 20.

I should also mention that my group has house-ruled this brokenness out of existence and that we also favor role-playing over combat, but if you're playing a combat-oriented non-house-ruled 3.5 campaign, there's absolutely no reason to let your rogue fall behind in damage-putting-outage.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#38 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

When I was about 10-12 I played dungeons and dragons with a kid who was a few years older than me.

He used to do really fucking weird things as a dungeon master, he would put my character in certain situations with hot female elves and say "show me what you do to her on this pillow here and I'll level you up"

..He wanted to watch me hump a pillow.................

hooooollly shit.

toopunk2lose.png

#39 Radioeyes

Radioeyes

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

I have never played D&D before and frankly can't really fathom what makes it so addicting for so many people. I went and looked up rules and stories of what people were playing, and can't say it sounds very exciting. When a friend invited me to come and sit in on one, I turned it down to go watch a Cubs game. I've never looked back.

War strategy games like Battletech or Warhammer (sans expense) always looked like they were more fun, but that's what video games replaced every aspect of!

#40 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

Missed out bro. You wont know until you roll the dice. It's just a fun thing to do with your buddies.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#41 Guest_WING Matsunaga_*

Guest_WING Matsunaga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

i have no idea what any of you are talking about. lol

ive never played before. and i have never met anyone who has.

#42 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,272 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:41 AM

i just found out the real reason xplo can't get a girlfriend.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#43 Metal Dream

Metal Dream

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

What's the best quest you ever DM'd, the best game you ever played or the pimpest move you ever made in AD&D?
Proud To Be Part Of The RockLand Productions Since 2001

#44 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:15 AM

Pimpest move would be D&D (first edition I think):

A quest I played as the group Human Fighter (level 6?). We were all magically tranformed into Orcs ( or something like Orcs saw us as other orcs) so we could invade an Orc city or something. We took a wrong turn and ended up in an arena with some flippin huge monster after us. I rolled the highest initiative so I got to go first, and in an arena full of screaming orc spectators, I rolled a 20, then nearly the maximum amount of damage I could. As it was described, I took 1 swing and chopped the monster in half. As if that wasn't rad enough, the Orc commentator came into the arena and yelled to the crowd something like "Ladies and gentlemen THIS is a true orc." Pointing at me... It was bloody beautiful. Especially since I was a human :P
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#45 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:20 AM

What's the best quest you ever DM'd, the best game you ever played or the pimpest move you ever made in AD&D?

Pimpest move: Was playing a halfling paladin on a winged St. Bernard mount (don't ask) and fighting two dragons (not single-handedly) which, for the moment, were adjacent to each other. Swooped by (using flyby attack) and managed to drop the one dragon.

After a few seconds of celebration, something occured to me. I turned to the DM.
"Brendan?"
"Yeah?"
"So I just killed one of the dragons."
"Right...."
"And I'm adjacent to the other dragon."
"Right......"
"Can I use cleave?"
Silence, then "Well, I suppose you can."

I didn't drop the second dragon (that would have been too cheap), but it was probably my most memorable combat moment ever. (Can you tell?)

By the way, shortly after the character ascended to godhood. Long story.

g4LcJWd.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users