3625 replies to this topic

#3586 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hey I passed my yearly army fitness test last weekend. Did better than usual, although my run time is always really slow.

Celebrated by taking a couple days off and eating the following items over the weekend:

1 box Thin Mints

4 Little Debbie Zebra Cakes

1 box of Lemonheasd

Giant burger with curly fries

Taco Bell

Lots of full sugar soda

It was pretty delicious, but ready to get back on the wagon now. Also I can start bringing more lifting into my routine and ease up on the endurance work to swap it for more HIIT.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#3587 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

My wife and I are doing Rugged Manic next weekend, which is different than my usual Drugged Maniac. So, I got back to running at the gym 3 miles at the start of every workout. The first time I only made it about 2.5 before I stopped, but the last few times, I've been going the full 3. The other morning there was a Charley Horse in my left calf that lasted what must've been 2 full minutes and is still sore 3 days later. I think it's related to running. 

I'm still fatter than I'd like to be, but I recently did a basic fitness assessment at my gym where they give you the thing that flows a low electrical current through your arms and measures your fat content and I was on the heavier side of the normal range even though I'm 255 at this point (and 6' 6"). 

I haven't been losing weight really which sucks considering I go to the gym twice a week and also ride my bike for an hour (12-14 miles) twice a week. But then, I can drink a six pack of strong beer in a night a like it's nothing and that's easily an extra 1500 empty calories. 

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#3588 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

i did a 415lb dead lift on wednesday on my first try, so i should be on track to hit my goal of 420 on 420 (blaze it).

also, i'm hoping i'll be 210 or less at that point, so that will also be my first double bodyweight dead.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#3589 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

the batch of boxers i most recently bought were a snugger fit than anticipated (this was last year) but, i'm a dude, so i just rolled with it

as of this weekend they are loose enough that its kind of annoying, which is a nice problem to have

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#3590 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

i did a 415lb dead lift on wednesday on my first try, so i should be on track to hit my goal of 420 on 420 (blaze it).

also, i'm hoping i'll be 210 or less at that point, so that will also be my first double bodyweight dead.

Stop being a puss wipe and throw another fiver on! :)

UAV3t1p.png

#3591 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,802 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Still sitting around 193, which isn't bad! the gf and I have to move again, so it's put a damper on going out and getting excercise and eating amazingly, but it's good to know that I'm not gaining. 

toopunk2lose.png

#3592 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Fuckin a. My deadlift PR is right around 300 and I really don't expect to do much better than that.

#3593 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

Stop being a puss wipe and throw another fiver on! :)

no, it is a ritual that must be performed on the holiest of days. 420 shall not be pulled until 4/20, as prophecized.

#3594 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:25 AM

what the fuck i did ten 400lb dead lifts tonite.

#3595 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

i want to do deads so bad

i feel like i could rip a 300 out the gate

how do dead lift sets work when training?  how many would you do in a day at what weights?

sgy5Biv.gif

#3596 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

Kirk, you definitely want to master form before pulling that kind of weight or you can do some pretty bad damage to your lower back and spine.  If you want to get into deadlifting, I've found this video gives you the best setup for form in 5 easy steps.  Start at lower weights and work your way up.

In terms of volume, try picking a weight that you feel comfortable doing at 5 sets at 5 reps.  Then move up 10 lbs or so each week.

UAV3t1p.png

#3597 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Biggest problem I have with deadlifts is my grip. Even doing stiff-legged deads to be easier on my knees....my grip just doesn't seem to me getting any better. =/

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

sig_2.png

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com

#3598 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

kirk if you want to get started with deads (or barbell work in general), i highly suggest you read "starting strength" by mark rippertoe (i have a pdf i can send you). its tedious, but very thorough. it also has some programming outlines. this is how i got started.

hard backing matsu in getting form down before you try adding much weight. don't hurt yourself. also i really like alan thrall's videos (the dude matsu posted), so that can be another good resource for you.

sindra - maybe try something like bent-over rows to increase your grip strength.

#3599 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

sindra - maybe try something like bent-over rows to increase your grip strength.

I've been doing bent over dumbbell rows for a while, gradually increasing weight. I guess I could attempt barbell rows and see if it makes any difference in my grip strength.

Doesn't help that my hands have been getting sore lately; like the tendons and such around my thumbs and fingers.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

sig_2.png

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com

#3600 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

i think the barbell will help a lot, since it is the same grip you'll have with deads. you may even want to spend some time just letting the bar hang in the bent over row position to get that stretch & train your forearms.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users