3767 replies to this topic

#31 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

I workout half and hour a day at my community college's workout center, every weekday. It's small, I'm one of the few that goes there, and anyone in the building can hear my workout music (ranging from DDR SuperNOVA music to VG music). Fun stuff.

#32 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

Why does post secondary education make everyone fat?
I didn't get fat.
Maybe it was the hard liquor diet.
I did eat a fuckload of bacon, fried baloney, cheese curds, poutine, donairs and grilled cheese. I bet my veins and arteries could be right fucked if I did that for years. But I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and fibre an shit as well and I was always getting lots of excercise.

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#33 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

Ken, do you know what the optimal target time to eat after you get up would be?

Naw, I don't have any specifics. I don't think you're supposed to eat right as you roll out of bed. All I hear is that it's best for your metabolism to work out in the morning, then eat breakfast. Not sure who in the world would go to that extreme. I'm just advocating eating breakfast and not eating within a few hours of going to bed.

Ah, good call on the working out, a good friend of mine who used to be a male stripper and thus was in quite good shape claims the following: in the morning you should drink a glass of water and then go work out...stretch, do some VERY brief weight training (anythin is fine, like a few reps of chest press or squats or whatever), and then hit the cardio for 30-45 if you can. He says that you have roughly 200 calories that you can burn off very easily (not quite sure why...) and since you have an empty stomach your body will resort to burning fat and other secondary energy sources. THe latter part makes sense to me, but I used to do this simply because I like getting rid of the gym routine as early as possible...sadly, it's a PAIN to get up early enough to get a good workout in the morning before work...

#34 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

If I got up and immediately went to the gym I'm probably pass out and get sucked into the treadmill. I usually eat a Odwalla bar before the gym, then a small snack when I get to work.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#35 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

god, i've got to get back to the gym.

i like the shumway plan. i may try it.

my goal was to lose weight this summer, but i ended up gaining it because i tend to hit the weights hard and consume lots of protein. of course, losing fat and gaining muscle doesn't bother me.

my problem is that i'll go to the gym a lot for 2-3 weeks, then stop going altogether for 2-3 weeks. makes no sense, but its what i always end up doing. i needs to stop this. for reals.

also, my diet is improving (taking my lunch to work everyday and it consists of a peanut butter sandwich and a bunch of fruit - also granola and yogurt). this, coupled with going back to the gym should equal RESULTS.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#36 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

If I got up and immediately went to the gym I'm probably pass out and get sucked into the treadmill. I usually eat a Odwalla bar before the gym, then a small snack when I get to work.

i on the other hand work out late at night, since it is the only time available to me.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#37 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,626 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

I prefer the night just because I love sleeping in as long as I can.

Also, I really need to have music for any kind of extended workout or constant motivation.. without an iPod or the ability to play CDs or something, I really don't perform nearly as well or go nearly as often.

Today my arms are sore but my pushups are getting better. I wish I could have some kind of chocolate milk after this protein shake, but alas.

I am however going to have a burger, fries and coke on my birthday.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#38 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:51 PM

Why does post secondary education make everyone fat?
I didn't get fat.
Maybe it was the hard liquor diet.
I did eat a fuckload of bacon, fried baloney, cheese curds, poutine, donairs and grilled cheese. I bet my veins and arteries could be right fucked if I did that for years. But I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and fibre an shit as well and I was always getting lots of excercise.

God, I love this post. :lol:

#39 Bluegoriya

Bluegoriya

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

i too run around green lake. or walk rather. it is about 4 miles i think. damb, peeps be livin' in seattle!

here are some real good excorsise tips. buy a set of drumsticks, and 'air drum' the entire
'toxicity' album by system of a down. it really works those abs!

second buy one of those Chuck norris total gyms, prefferable if you can find one - get the generic one, they total bodyworks 5000. you can get them on sale at big 5 sometimes for 99 bucks. it kicks so much ass. both of these things will make you more appealing to the opposite sex.
Posted Image

#40 Guest_smacron_*

Guest_smacron_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

Good stuff, MrBoglin. I pirated a pdf of that book (hey, I'm in China....ok, I'd probably pirate it anyway) and couldn't believe I hadn't thought about the Door Pull-ups myself. I'm a "Do whatever you can with a floor and 4 walls" kind of guy, but I've always been wanting just a bar of some kind. I think the door will work perfectly.

I'm a martial artist and pretty active with personal, gravity or inertia-based training. I've never had much problem with weight, other than trying to -gain- it, until the last few years when I started to put on a little gut. Not much to complain about, but a warning sign. So, most of my workouts are performance based.

Also, about what MrBoglin said on 6 meals a day, that's potentially more important than calorie intake. I can't believe how many people, girls especially, skip breakfast because they think it'll help them lose weight. It does just the opposite. They really meant it when they said "Breakfast is the most important meal." When you don't eat breakfast, it kills your metabolism, making you sluggish and tired. Then, when you eat lunch, your metabolsm rises and crashes, because your body is trying to conserve energy. The people who don't eat breakfast will most likely eat a large dinner and have a ton of that convery straight to fat.

Where people get confused is if you eat a decent breakfast, you get hungry at lunch. People who don't eat breakfast often cite that you'll just want to eat again soon. The difference is that if you eat breakfast and you get hungry, it means your metabolism is kicking and food you eat actually turns into energy.

The worst case of this that I've seen is this girl. She dates and lives with a guy who's eating habbits are horrible. On a good day she'll get up at 10am, eat something small at 3pm, go to work and then come back from work and eat around 11pm. She'll eat what the dude eats, probably a big plate of pasta and sauce and then go to sleep within the next 2 hours. She's literally doubled her weight within the last 4 years, probably most like tripled. She's getting bigger all the time, bought a dress for a wedding 3 months ago and had to buy another one recently because she's got another wedding to go to.

Another example is Sumo wrestlers. Want to know one way they put on all that fat? They eat a ton and then go to sleep right afterwards. Want to know why opera singers are often fat? Because they sing all day, they can't eat very much during practice or it messes with their breathing and singing. Then, the only chance they get to eat is late at night, before they go to bed.

The jist being, eat often and avoid eating late.

is there anyone i can get that .pdf from you? please pm me.

#41 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:46 AM

is there anyone i can get that .pdf from you? please pm me.

It's actually a pretty simple and to-the-point book. If you want the rundown, here goes:
1. Reps of more than 6 actually hinder strength development (but increases endurance and can work for cadio, etc.).
2. Doing a bunch of reps a of 1-6 each but, never to the point of failure (until you can't do them anymore) will increase strength the best.
3. A good way to do this is just with one-armed pushups and single-leg squats (aka pistol lifts: sit on the floor with one leg to your chest with the foot on the ground, the other leg entended in front, then try to stand up on the first leg without bending the extended leg).
4. If it's too hard or too easy, you can adjust leverage. If one-armed push-ups are too hard, do them with your hand on a chair. If they are too hard, put your feet on a chair.

From there, it shows how to get you from weakling status to being able to do squats and one-armers and then how to increase the difficulty from there.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Studying a sword martial art some people liked to say that a certain rank should be doing several hundred up to 1000 sword strikes a day. But, when I've seen people that do a lot of strikes, they never did them with a lot of power. I decided that 100 a day was more than a enough, and that the difference should be in how much intensity I put into each strike.

Also, the book does use some weight lifter jargon. For example, he just started talking about http://en.wikipedia....ki/Good-morning without ever explaining himself.

anyway, pm sent.

banner.png

#42 Guest_Scar420_*

Guest_Scar420_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

Posted Image

#43 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

I went to the gym this morning, got to work, and ate a huge piece of pumpkin bread my wife made. It's like that scene in the Simpsons where all Mr. Burns diseases are trying to get through the door at the same time so they cancel each other out.

Food is so good.

#44 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:43 AM

my problem is that i'll go to the gym a lot for 2-3 weeks, then stop going altogether for 2-3 weeks. makes no sense, but its what i always end up doing. i needs to stop this. for reals.

That was my problem too. I'd get a good streak going, then get easily derailed and stop for way too long of a time. That's what's great about this running program; you're commited for at least 8 weeks (I extended it out by running some of the longer days 6 times). By that point you'll see enough results to want to keep it going.

#45 Guest_spamtron_*

Guest_spamtron_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

I lost a ton of weight when I completely stopped drinking soda. You'll be surpised how much you can lose just from that. I only drink water and coffee now (and sometimes juice, but that has a lot of sugar, so avoid it). I need to get back on exercising regularly. Thanks for the reminder, Crimson! I usually alternate between running and Stepmania and/or DDR.

I also plan to soon stop drinking coffee with any sugar / chocolate in it, like Mochas.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users