1269 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hey guys. Cooking is something I really love to do when I have the time and motivation. There are some dishes that I'd really love to make well. I think most people have at least a few dishes that they're good at making. I just wanted to have a thread where we talk about anything and everything related to cooking.

For a couple years I've been trying to make a good Thai curry. I made one that was pretty good last week. I made another one two nights ago, but it was too sweet. I put pineapple in it, with some pineapple juice. It's sub-par.

I've never been able to make really good white rice. I use basmati and jasmine. I've only ever used the absorption method on stove-top. Does anyone here have the skills? I've always felt that a 2:1 ratio of water to rice is way too much water. I usually opt for 3:2. I always wash the rice. I still only rarely get it nice and fluffy and not sticky. Is it possible with any quality of rice, or only really good stuff?

You can respond to any of this, or talk about whatever you guys cook.

#2 Geo

Geo

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

With rice, I usually get by with 1 cup of water, .75 cups of rice.

I don't cook much, but I do make a mean spaghetti sauce.
Posted Image

#3 jiggs

jiggs

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

My girlfriend uses a rice-cooker. It almost always comes out perfect.

Oh, and I make a mean Macaroni and Cheese.

#4 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

rice cooker, bitch! we've got a nice toshiba one from japan that whips out awesome rice in like a half-hour. stir-fryed vegetables with some soy sauce and i'm set.

#5 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

I've made Chili and Stew this year. It's the most I've ever cooked but it was really fun. I'd like to get more into it.

UAV3t1p.png

matsunami0.png

#6 Insane_Penguin

Insane_Penguin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

I've got a pressure cooker for rice; 1.5 cups water 1 cup rice.

Bring water to boil, add rice, attatch lid, cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. Turn off heat, let sit for 8 or so minutes.

I usually do this with some stir-fry! How appropriate.

(not) Galbadia Hotel - My Game Collection

"Subway versus Quiznos? Who wins? I don't care; Tim Buckley's an asshole."
"All restaurants are Taco Bell"

tsih bich is CRUNKD

#7 evilsonic

evilsonic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

I don't know how or why, but I'm excellent at making stuff that's easy to make. Like my Kraft Mac & Cheese comes out better than everyone else's. And my Ellio's is always a little better.

Aside from that, I'm really good at meat. I make excellent burgers, bacon, and hot dogs.
Remember... No matter where you go... there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai Adventures Across the Eighth Dimension

Posted Image

#8 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

The secret ingredient is a crockpot.

#9 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

I love to cook. I'd love to open a bar/restaurant sometime down the line (i.e. when I somehow manage to get some money, most likely through insurance fraud). I also want to go back to school and take some classes to learn the science behind taste. That shit is so interesting to me. I'd love to get down to the basics of flavors and learn how to mix them properly to get the desired dish. Alton Brown is pretty much my cooking idol.

As it is now, I just take the basics of recipes I see and build on them. Like I'll take the basic ingredients of a marinade for swordfish (lime and garlic) and add some cayanne pepper and other spices to try and make my own version of the marinade.

As far as rice goes, I also have trouble getting it right every time. I go with slightly under the recommended amount of water and add a little bit of butter. Then I turn the burner off for the last 5 minutes or so instead of letting it simmer, and I usually end up with a pretty decent consistency.

I'd love to get a rice cooker.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#10 Guest_smacron_*

Guest_smacron_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

me and my roomates take turns cooking but we never make anythign that special.

our menu is as follows: chicken quesadillas (not great), spaghetti (pretty sweet but we use pre-made sauces), hamburger helper, pork chops (just marinated and cooked on the george foreman), and then sometimes i make like this broiled chicken which is actually really good and really simple to make. all you gotta do is go to one of those mexican carnecerias and pick up some marinated game hens (called quardaniz there), pick up like two take em home put them on a cookie sheet with foil on the bottom then rub butter and mustard on them (i used gre poupon) then stick them in a 450 degree oven for like 40 minutes then after that crack open a can of vegetables and a can of corn then pour it all on top of chicken (pre-drain cans) and put it back in the oven for like another 15-20 minutes, then take them out when theyre done. its really really good if you have some guac and flour tortillas. thats pretty much the most complicated thing i make. i once made enchiladas but they were subar and it was waaaaayyyy too much work.

#11 MrBoglin

MrBoglin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Rice is like...90% of my diet. You don't need a rice cooker or anything for good rice. Here's how ya do it: get a medium/small sized pot, fill about half of it with water, boil the rice (I always just eyeball how much I need/want. rice is a lot like pasta in that what doesn't look like a lot uncooked will be a lot when it's cooked), as soon as the water starts getting low and you can see that it's done, put the top on the pot. Turn the stove off, wait ten minutes, enjoy.

That might not be entirely concise because I'm so used to doing it and I've got it down to a science now, but I tried to explain the best that I could.

#12 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

Do you guys ever wash the rice?

#13 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

pork chops (just marinated and cooked on the george foreman),

I make some baked pork chops that come out really good. Basically you season the chops with some salt, pepper, and brown sugar, then place them in a baking dish. Pour in enough apple cider to cover the chops. Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minute to an hour.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#14 MrBoglin

MrBoglin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

What's the point? You're putting it in boiling water...

#15 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

You're supposed to wash sushi rice. It couldn't hurt for any other type I supposed. Just put the rice in a big bowl with cold water and wash it with your hands. Repeat 2-3 times, you don't want to over-wash because it removes the starch and nourishment from the rice.

UAV3t1p.png

matsunami0.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users