goodrich.bandcamp.com - Synthwave

#332 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Damn, what a trifecta. That Yezda Urfa is like a busy peak Yes. 

#333 universal_justin

universal_justin

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Damn, what a trifecta. That Yezda Urfa is like a busy peak Yes. 

Indeed, it reminds me of Tormato era Yes.

quartercirclejab.bandcamp.com - VGM Cover Band

goodrich.bandcamp.com - Synthwave

#334 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Been listening to this.

This recording (also other live recordings of the 70s) really makes me wonder... how did they treat the drums? They obviously sound very muffled, yet I don't see any muffling on the snare or the toms. What the heck? Hmmm.. perhaps there are extra heads on top of the actual drum heads?

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#335 Ripplin

Ripplin

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,305 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

A while back, I picked up the album "Contamination" by R.D.M. at the local Salvation Army. I knew nothing about it, but decided to give it a try based on...well, I dunno, the description on the back, I guess. Certainly wasn't the bland cover. Turns out that it's great! It's an English version of the original "Contaminazione" by Il Rovescio Della Medaglia (I know they've been mentioned here before), which I learned today. Excellent, unpredictable symphonic prog rock. :)

Noticed today that a friend of mine has an awesome stereo in his Pontiac Vibe. Not only does it have a button to choose what sort of Prog you want to listen to, but there's already an RDM button! ;)

viberadio_by_ripplin-dc6ne2k.jpg

#336 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

I think a discussion about Magma best belongs in this thread, so here's a post moved over from Synthpop:

I REALLY wanted to like Magma, but I just don't. I can't think of anything else they sound like though, so if Jace's description sounds intriguing I'd say just check it out and see.

...yeah...to be fair, they're probably overall a little more "musical" than some aspects of my previous description might imply, especially by 21st century standards.

I really dig the studio album Attahk, but I think the best starting place is probably their 1981 live album "Retrospektiw"

https://www.youtube....h?v=v3cTPLC4NtI

https://www.youtube....h?v=VU32K9nFH-I

#337 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

https://youtu.be/F7d1q5cAoNg?t=196

One Left Handed Peter Pan by Refugee is like 70s prog up to 11 + some really bizarre vocals.

#338 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

Magma isn't as bad as I remembered :P Either I checked out the wrong stuff before, or I've just lightened up about the vocals.

#339 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

I think a discussion about Magma best belongs in this thread, so here's a post moved over from Synthpop:

I REALLY wanted to like Magma, but I just don't. I can't think of anything else they sound like though, so if Jace's description sounds intriguing I'd say just check it out and see.

...yeah...to be fair, they're probably overall a little more "musical" than some aspects of my previous description might imply, especially by 21st century standards.

I really dig the studio album Attahk, but I think the best starting place is probably their 1981 live album "Retrospektiw"

None of this in any way belongs in this thread, haha

Listening to Attahk now. so far this first track is LEGIT

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#340 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

I'm all about that Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

Most people on theshizz will prob like the spinoff band Weidorje more than Magma tho. This album is fire thru and thru

There's actually a lot of really good stuff like this on spotify. Look for the 'this is zeuhl' playlist. Tho my personal favorite, Present, is not very well represented there.

eKawlATs.jpg

#341 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

^Totally. I'm not well-versed in the whole Zeuhl thing overall (now Zuul? That's a different story!) but that Weidorje (named after a Magma song I believe?) record is probably the best thing I've heard in the style.

#342 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:56 AM

Eskaton - 4 Visions to me is just mindblowing. It has a more jazzy vibe than Magma stuff but it's definitely inspired by them.

#343 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

^Totally. I'm not well-versed in the whole Zeuhl thing overall (now Zuul? That's a different story!) but that Weidorje (named after a Magma song I believe?) record is probably the best thing I've heard in the style.

Yeah it’s def the most VG of the lot and exceptionally consonant. The genre of Zeuhl is pretty loosely defined, like for example myself and a lot of others lump in chamber rock bands and other bands that have played the rock in opposition fest, but some pursuits don’t consider it Zeuhl unless it sounds like music that little grey aliens would sing at church.

Some friends and I did a couple pretty deep excursions into the genre over the years. There’s way more stuff like this out there than you’d expect, but a lot of it toes the line on just very evil sounding euro-prog. Zen Archer just lumps all of it under the term “Objectively Terrifying Music”.

Two more favs

https://youtu.be/N2z01xngKKU

https://youtu.be/BAFqDYKKhIM
^the last track of this is a cover of Jack the Ripper by Univers Zero. The first track “Vertiges” is in the running for most sinister song of the genre imo, but that throne most likely belongs to “La Faulx” by Univers Zero.

eKawlATs.jpg

#344 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

Really digging Vertiges. "Rock in Opposition" is a weird-ass name to try to give to a genre of music.

#345 chunkstyle

chunkstyle

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

I just made a long rambling post about my favorite Zeuhl band, and found I wasn't actually logged in and it was lost when I tried to post.  Here was the gist of it:

I saw this band in '94 at a small club and they blew my mind.  Just a bassist and a drummer.  It's the drummer's thing, and there have been several bassists over the years.  They're HIGHLY influenced by Magma, and was my gateway into this whole genre.

My favorite album of theirs:

- pretty sure they were touring on that album when I saw them.

Probably the most accessible song on that album:

To my knowledge, this is the most recent incarnation of the project swapping the bass for a sax.  I somehow like it anyway. https://saxruins.bandcamp.com/

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users