1213 replies to this topic

#16 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

Haha, am I the only terrible one who uses a pick most of the time? When doing rock songs, I just love having more attack on the bass. I very rarely do slap... last time was probably a year ago on my shadowrun mix.
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#17 Riders

Riders

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:05 AM

Im a guitar player, but i really enjoy playing the bass, for a while bout less than a year ago, iw as playing my brothres bass non stop. i get such an enjoyment out of it really. Its just bass lines move me more and i find it fun. I find im a really agressive bass player, and when i play the bass i actaully grow my nails out on my right hand and play with my nails. and i just love plucking the strings hard. with my bass man and the jazz pickup on the bass i can get a really good tone.I think im not bad of a bass player. heres a sweet video of my and my band last year playing red barchetta by rush and i was playing the bass.

red barchetta

i also kinda just was trying to get really versatile with my right hand. like trying riffs that use the thumb and then the fingers as alternating things. Basicly i just learned a load of rush bass lines. Also the 3 finger thing, i find i use it if im trying to get like a fast pickup note in there, like on the red barchetta bass solo i was definatly doing a lot of times. but mostly the left hand i had to get a lot of strength and tned to use 2 fingers to fret notes a lot a so my hand doesnt get tired. I wish i had a bass here. for some reason i just enjoy it more, even thoug i think im better on guitar, but yet i still think im decent on bass.
Check out my Band DARK WARRIORS

I've become a joke at this place.

#18 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

Haha, am I the only terrible one who uses a pick most of the time? When doing rock songs, I just love having more attack on the bass. I very rarely do slap... last time was probably a year ago on my shadowrun mix.

ben uses a pick, no? i end up picking most of my bass parts, too. anything thats fairly challenging, and it becomes a must for me.

i have been working a bit on my guitar fingerpicking though, so maybe thatll help.
.\|/.

#19 Zio Oxview

Zio Oxview

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

I think my biggest prblem is I can't do "cool" stuff like slapping, ghost notes and just everything that makes bassists funnky and cool. Heat man, Bubble Man, Metal man, Dr WIly, CV level 5, no problem, but put me in a "jam session" and I look like a n00b.

That's because you are a n00b. pingosimon = BAN
OAGt5mr.jpg

#20 Naz

Naz

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

bassara, the new frontier?

P.S. buy mine

95% mint (better than you'd find on a guitar store floor). comes with a sturdy good quality gig bag. As an added bonus it comes with both the original pickup, and a seymour duncan quarter pounder (installed).

$600?

#21 Paragon

Paragon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

I use a pick whenever I actually record something because my fingering is sloppy (IIRC the only time I recorded fingered bass was the intro to Ninja Cat, which a lot of people said was off-beat), but I usually use my fingers when I'm just noodling around for fun, although that mostly winds up being the FFMQ final battle theme.

Also, what are some good brands/models of bass? I'm looking mainly for stability and playability, I don't care too much about tone. I hate how my bass can be in tune and properly intonated but still annoyingly sharp on the first few frets. I'd prefer a 5-string with humbuckers, but it's less important than being well-built and inexpensive.

#22 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

I use a pick whenever I actually record something because my fingering is sloppy (IIRC the only time I recorded fingered bass was the intro to Ninja Cat, which a lot of people said was off-beat), but I usually use my fingers when I'm just noodling around for fun, although that mostly winds up being the FFMQ final battle theme.

Also, what are some good brands/models of bass? I'm looking mainly for stability and playability, I don't care too much about tone. I hate how my bass can be in tune and properly intonated but still annoyingly sharp on the first few frets. I'd prefer a 5-string with humbuckers, but it's less important than being well-built and inexpensive.

I've had a Squier P Bass for 6 years that has never given me problems. I replaced the pickups long ago, and it sounds great. It could probably use a tune up, but other than that... its great.

Thats the only bass i've really ever played aside from a few at Guitar Center, but i dont remember how well or poor they played.

toopunk2lose.png

#23 Guest_dentron3030_*

Guest_dentron3030_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

I've had a Squier P Bass for 6 years that has never given me problems. I replaced the pickups long ago, and it sounds great. It could probably use a tune up, but other than that... its great.

Thats the only bass i've really ever played aside from a few at Guitar Center, but i dont remember how well or poor they played.

i've heard legends of magic squiers. but have never encountered one.

#24 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,331 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

Cyril I'm gonna go look up Billy Sheehen.

I feel like my 2-finger speed will just plain max out at 130, I dunno how I can get faster. I think one thing I need to do is to get comfortable with 2 finger technique using my middle and ring fingers. I figure my 3 finger technique can only be as fast as that 2 finger technique.

Cyril how fast can you do 16ths? Could you make an audio or video recording?

#25 nintendoom

nintendoom

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

Old video, but john entwistle has some great 3 finger fast stuff.

As far as playing pick or fingerstyle, I do both. I can slap a bit too, but I never have a use for that in the bands I play in. Most of the time I just end up using my fingernails (fingers just how they would be if I was holding a pick, but no pick).

And yeah, we need to see more pics of bass gear in this thread <_<

#26 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

I'm gonna try to learn the whole Iron Maiden album Number of the Beast.

Great album. Actually I prefer Dream Theater's cover of the entire album. They don't sell it, but you can probably download a copy somewhere.

Fuck Dream Theater. Number of the Bistro deserves to be listened to in its original state.

I've always felt that solid and steady playing is a more important skill with bass than speed or flash. Like Bob Daisley's playing on Diary of a Madman. He's always right on, perfectly in time, and consistent. Then when he busts out a sweet fill, it's just magical.

#27 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,331 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

That's how I pick, I just use my finger as if it were a pick. I need to do that for Dr. Wily, but I"d like to be able to just keep it all fingers.

Found a couple 3 finger videos:

#28 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,331 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

ahhh heeeere we go, BIlly Sheehan using 3 fingers:

#29 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

billy sheehan is a god.

seriously.

i should play bass more often than for one song for snappleman.

-= george =-

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#30 MrBoglin

MrBoglin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

I was pretty into playing bass a while ago because it's a simplified guitar, but you can only do so much with it. I like messing around with all the slap and funk bassline stuff (The Reddings, The Meters, etc.) As for Squier's, they're pretty legendary for the neck warping/bowing really easily, which is what's happened to mine. The action's like 1/4 off the neck. Maybe some day down the road when I get really into playing again I'll pick up a Fender Jazz or something.

Louis Johnson makes me want to never pick up a bass again.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users