1222 replies to this topic

#1156 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

In my opinion, a quality setup is so much more important than a "good" instrument.  I mean, I'm just now barely outgrowing my $300-ish bass (meaning, my gear wasn't holding me back more than my skill level).

This new bass I got from Erich, is probably worth $700ish, and it was not very playable before about $80 and a few hours of setup work.

#1157 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

great suggestions so far, thanks guys.

update--the dad gave sent me a picture, looks like he may be buying used gear from a cousin or something

$400 for 

- Ibanez SR 370 (hit the mark on the SR series)

- Yorkshire Bass Master 200

trying to figure out if that's a fair price.  I don't really know the difference in quality but i assume 400 would be better than 300, and 500 better than both of those.  Not really sure on the difference between 300 vs 370 either?  To top it off I've never heard of the Yorkshire Bass Master 200, but I've seen folks online say good things.

Your Help Has Been Radical

also relevant: https://www.talkbass...r-sr500.869359/

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#1158 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

This honestly sounds like a side-grade at best: the SR370 is a mediocre instrument. Unless his current bass is broken, I would *really* wait a few extra months and save the extra couple hundred bucks needed to get a SR500 or Squier VM (and/or find a used version of either on Craigslist or whatever).

#1159 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

I love my current bass pedal board set up for distortion and fuzz.  

B7k -> Darkglass Compressor -> B3k -> Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz

BUT! This new Darkglass pedal is making a good argument to try something new...

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#1160 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

I need to get on the Darkglass train. Everything of theirs I've heard sounds so sick.

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

#1161 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

Darkglass has literally not produced anything yet that isn't the best at what it does.

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#1162 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

The B7K is the best bass pedal I've ever used (yes, even better than the Tech21 VT Bass, which was my always-on thing from 2010 to 2015 -- although if you don't play metal, the VT is better).

#1163 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

B7K is awesome, for sure, but less so for clean tones.  I'm so happy with the tone of my SansAmp ParaDriver (it has more mid control than the Bass Drivers they make).  I have the Darglass Mictrotubes 900 head, but I still run the SansAmp in front for that tone.

And Super Symmetry is definitely in like, the top 3 compressors I've tried, but it's not THE best.

I actually watched that AlphaOmega video yesterday...it does seem super cool for distorted tones!

#1164 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

If pingo likes something it must be good!

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#1165 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

#1166 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

this is a borderline embarrassing question to ask because it seems so noobish but have any of you guys had experience with this? after long stints of playing in one of my bands, my index fingers both get pretty stiff and hurt a little bit for a few days. I usually only half notice it when I'm playing but then it's that way for the next few days. it's nothing major but with the frequency of it happening I want to make sure long term damage isn't happening and I'm not gonna get arthritis or some shit. the worst part is it's the least technical playing I do that seems to cause it. I play bass for a singer songwriter and we play live all the time and usually she just wants me to play whole root notes. so I get bored with that shit and find ways of making it interesting for myself and so the songs will sound cooler. there's a few songs where I do volume knob swells while hammering on the root note and octave to get a cello sort of sound and that's definitely one of the things that can cause my index finger to feel shitty after a full 5 minutes of doing that haha.

it's a super dynamic band and the active electronics on my bass usually has different sensitivity per string (even with a compressor on) so most of my playing is adjusting on the fly with how loud shit will be. I've noticed that the Low E usually has to be plucked a little harder and yesterday was our first practice in months so both index fingers are stiff. anyone know of any strength building exercises I should try running to not feel like a total scrub with garbage fingers? it's not even remotely close to being unbearable, I'm just thinking in the long run I don't want to fuck up my fingers for some 4/4 whole note root note songs. I picked up one of those stupid Guitar Center finger strength things that I use whenever I'm driving around (which is often) and I don't think that's really helped.

#1167 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

I suck at the bass :(

Posted Image

#1168 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Finger strength is irrelevant (if you can play the instrument you already have enough). What you want is warm-up exercises.

Also, ensure that when you're playing your posture does not leave any of your joints in an extreme position. For example, I know that a lot of bassists (including several that are far better than me) play with their right hand thumb anchored to the top of one of the pickups: this hurts two joints in your thumb and stresses your wrists. If you're doing that, consider learning the floating thumb technique.

#1169 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Finger strength is irrelevant (if you can play the instrument you already have enough). What you want is warm-up exercises.

Also, ensure that when you're playing your posture does not leave any of your joints in an extreme position. For example, I know that a lot of bassists (including several that are far better than me) play with their right hand thumb anchored to the top of one of the pickups: this hurts two joints in your thumb and stresses your wrists. If you're doing that, consider learning the floating thumb technique.

this is honestly the best advice I could have hoped for. I don't do the thumb rest thing but I certainly don't stretch before playing either which is such a simple solution. this band plays a lot and we usually get booked for 2 (sometimes 3) hour sets so I'll just go cold right into playing for long amounts of time and never stretch. Thank you so much! You may have saved my fingers :)

#1170 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

(Obligatory "I am not a doctor"). What you're describing sounds like your muscles getting tired/overworked. That's good news, cause it's temporary! Tendonitis suuuuuuucks

Finger strength is very relevant!! When I was playing a lot of upright bass, I'd do exercises to strengthen the muscles that I needed. I had to, because those muscles aren't gonna get strong enough through every day use. Trills are great for finger strength. Actually, on electric bass, that's all I can imagine you'd need. Trill all your fingers: 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4. Slow trills are fine, especially to monitor technique while you do it (curved fingers, play with finger tips)

"Strengthening products" are dumb, though. I've never heard someone actually recommend one. Actually, I don't know if I've known anyone who uses one. Just get your strength from the thing you want to be stronger at (bass).

Tendonitis/carpal tunnel/etc are so complicated. Definitely avoid awkward positions, but also be relaxed. For example, I put my thumb on the pickup pretty often when I play, and it's never been the cause of tendonitis for me, but I wouldn't say it's "anchored" or sticking out at a weird angle, it's just a convenient place to rest my thumb. That said, I can't think of a downside to free-thumb, so I'd say get in that habit early. Also for trills, try to use your bigger muscles, ie, the ones that move your entire finger, not the ones that move just two knuckles. Keep your wrists pretty straight.

Warming up is good. And stretching when you are warmed up (that can be after warming up, or even after all your playing).

Oh, make sure your bass action is low. High action makes everything harder.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users