980 replies to this topic

#946 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

eric, aside from what you already listed, a few of my personal recommendations would be:

Lumines I & II - these are extremely tight, stylish puzzle games that get madly addicting. the first game has original music, the second has licensed pop and electronic music. my copy of Lumines II has essentially fallen apart from being played so much.
Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins - brand new GnG game with some modern flair. it's tough, fun, and usually less than 5 bucks.
Loco Roco 1 & 2 - both games are fantastic and basically more of the same thing, but its probably the most vibrant, fresh, and original game on the system.

Crush - Crush is another highly underrated game. This is probably one of the coolest puzzle games you will play. You can shift from a 2D to 3D world in order to solve puzzles. creates a lot of really cool perspective puzzles in how to get to certain areas.
Wipeout Pure - Pure and Pulse are interchangeable, really, but I liked Pure's progression a bit better, and as a bonus, there's like a half dozen free packs of downloadable content out there that add a ton of new vehicles and entire new circuits. You have to get them from random websites now since the wipeout site is gone, but it is worth it.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - This game has sort of been forgotten, and it's a bit of a strange MGS game, but it does contain all the classic kind of gameplay and a better than average story. You end up collecting soldiers and you can then use them as playable characters in the game. it has an overworld map and all kinds of optional missions, not all that different from Metal Gear Acid (also one of my favorite games for the system) it's sorta weird, but neat. (also, just a note if you see Portable Ops Plus, you should likely ignore it. It's just a multiplayer expansion pack for Portable Ops, but the box does not make that terribly clear. I don't think it's worth having.)

Me & My Katamari - the revised control scheme takes some getting used to, but once you do, this is a fully fledged original game in the series. my wife enjoyed it. it does reuse some assets like most of the more recent ones but it's still original enough and fun as is.

Burnout Legends - The load times are shitty at times, but it's basically a fully fledged Burnout game with some nice shorter, quicker events for on the go gaming.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles - you basically get three games for the price of one, and this has yet to start skyrocketing in price like some other CV games from the same era.

Capcom's collections - Capcom released like 4 worthwhile collections on the system. There's two arcade collections with a lot of good content, a puzzle collection with Puzzle Fighter and Buster Bros, and Power Stone collection with both games. SNK also did some solid collections for their arcade stuff, Metal Slug, and I think one for KoF as well. 

Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars - ok so i realize i may be the only one that cares about this, but it's a solid collection, honest! both Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, tons of unlockables, tons of new settings to spice up the games, and its clear they put a lot of thought into how to make this an attractive package. music is all awful no-name garbage though.

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - if you want a good game for a laugh, please pick this up. it's so over the top extreme in every aspect. the voiceovers and mission briefs are amazingly macho and melodramatic, you drive like a mad man and do extreme stunts to catch criminals, then dive wildly from car to car while chasing then down to beat/shoot them to death. it's not a "good" game per se, but it's pretty entertaining and surprisingly playable.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny - If you like SC games at all, this is basically a fancy port of SCIV with some extras. The Tekken games are likewise pretty faithful. I'd also recommend the Capcom fighters like Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers, even if i am not the biggest fan of the dpad controls on the system.

Extend Every Extra - it's a visually hypnotic shooter that really draws you in, even though it doesn't leave the best first impression. this version is completely different than the XBLA version, which i personally really did not like. it completely changed how the game was played.

There's a lot more I played but I'm blanking at the moment and others have listed some of the other good stuff. I have a small cache of games for psp i'm gearing up to start, including persona 3, metal gear acid 2, littlebigplanet, and the 3rd birthday. i probably should have also mentoned the patapon games since they are system exclusives, very unique, and some people like spook love them, but i just could never quite "get" them. they are cheap enough that it's probably at least worth giving it a once over.

this was my post from a few months ago. its not everything i liked or owned, but it's a bunch i enjoyed that struck my fancy as I was writing it out.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#947 Kilu

Kilu

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanking you kindly.
panic-dance.gif
This is no place for a horse.

#948 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

i just installed gpSP.

it's a totally solid GBA emulator for the PSP.

save-states and everything.

#949 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

i'm almost done with metal gear acid 2.

i love both of those games.

is there anything else like them that i can play?

i can't find any other card-based games besides crap like yu-gi-oh.

i won't be playing yu-gi-oh.

#950 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

i really need to pick Acid 2 back up. I got about 2 hours into the campaign and misplaced my PSP for a month and then forgot about it.

loved the first game, though. definitely need to get back to the second.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#951 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

i really need to pick Acid 2 back up. I got about 2 hours into the campaign and misplaced my PSP for a month and then forgot about it.

loved the first game, though. definitely need to get back to the second.

2 is a huge improvement.

make sure to upgrade your cards.

i was getting my ass kicked all the way through before i realized you could upgrade them in the deck editor.

#952 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,388 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I definitely need more regular PSP disc games, but I am loving my Vita right now.

giphy.gif

#953 tonystigma

tonystigma

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

i just installed gpSP.

it's a totally solid GBA emulator for the PSP.

save-states and everything.

Yep, gPSP is legit.

JwlHRQg.png

#954 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

i just bought a psp so i can play final fantasy tactics in bed / on the go.

going to skim through this thread for ideas for other games to pick up, but if you feel there are any real standouts, do tell.

you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#955 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

I finally got around to ordering a new charger, last one crapped out. Picked up even more UMD's the other day, including Prince's Live At Las Vegas which I didn't even know existed on UMD

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#956 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

I picked up Capcom Classics Collection Remixed a few days ago, and BOY was it worth every dollar (fifteen, to be exact). Most of the games on here didn't get a widely released home port, or they are arcade originals that are worth playing over the ports. Also, for the shoot'em-ups (of which there are many), the video options let you turn your PSP sideways and play it in a ratio more true to the arcade port. Ummmm AWESOME!!!

Can't wait to find the other collection. I also picked up Lumines dirt cheap, but haven't played it yet.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#957 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

lol, I bought some cheap component cables. We can totally play PSP games on my TV next party:

7iTBUNT.jpg

It actually looks pretty good; the photo is just really bad.
DNa7A7D.jpg

#958 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

Nice! I picked up a composite out cable for my PSP a while back, but gosh, it looks like garbage!

Lumines is not bad. Once I get the hang of it, it might be more exciting, but for the moment, I'm glad I spent only 3 on it.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#959 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on vacation this week. There's definitely a lot of similarity to FFT given both games were made by the same team, yet there are a number of significant differences too. I don't think it's quite as good as FFT, at least to the point where I'm at right now in it. But overall it's been rather enjoyable and addicting.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#960 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

i've just discovered Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice, and besides having the best name ever, it's also really fun.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users