380 replies to this topic

#16 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

Woah, how did I miss this thread? I loooooove old Doctor Who! I used to watch it when I was 6 and it was probably responsible for the nightmares I had, but man, Tom Baker and Peter Davison were the best Doctors ever!

#17 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

Claire and I have been slowly amassing a large Dr. Who collection, and watching it as 'in order' as is possible. Right now, we're almost to the Key to Time season, so I've seen Doctors 1-4 in action, plus 9 & 10. And, at the risk of being shunned, I have to say that I like Tom Baker the least so far.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#18 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Claire and I have been slowly amassing a large Dr. Who collection, and watching it as 'in order' as is possible. Right now, we're almost to the Key to Time season, so I've seen Doctors 1-4 in action, plus 9 & 10. And, at the risk of being shunned, I have to say that I like Tom Baker the least so far.

ahahaha, wow, that's a first! Do tell, how come?

#19 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,362 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

haha yeah, that is a first. no shunning here though.

toopunk2lose.png

#20 quatermass

quatermass

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

ahahaha, wow, that's a first! Do tell, how come?

I'm also interested in why you feel that Baker is the least interesting. I think mostly it's a generational thing where most people saw Baker before any of the others, either on repeats on PBS or just because he was the first to be heavily featured in colour. I really enjoy the second and third doctor, but Tom Baker is probably still top tier. I'm glad that David Tennant is leaving and moreso glad that Richard T Davies is off the show. Despite being the instigator who brought the show back from the brink, I don't think he really has the proper sci-fi sensibilities and the show hasn't shone like it really should have. The best episode of the current series 'blink' was done by Stephen Moffat and he's taking over. I'm looking forward to the new actor and hopefully a better direction. RTD just always shits the bed on mediocre ideas.
Posted Image

#21 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

I watched the Christmas special - "the new doctor," last night. It was good. The last action sequence as it were... was kind of ridonk, even for Doctor Who. But other than that, it was a fine episode.

toopunk2lose.png

#22 ironyengine

ironyengine

Extra Dad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Anyone who's seen me this winter will know I have been rocking one of my two Tom Baker scarfs as much as possible. It's super long like Riders' but I wrap it around myself a bunch so it doesn't drag. It's probably the warmest thing ever.

I also love the show, and the music, although it's been a while since I got to see any episodes. I even like some of the new ones. I am a FAN BOY.

Take your time old man, these vultures are happy to wait... 

#23 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,362 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

I watched Spearhead From Space last night. John Pertwee is a great Doctor, but having him stuck on earth kinda sucks. I'll see how the rest of his stuff pans out though.

toopunk2lose.png

#24 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

Saaaaaam, I'm still waiting to hear your opinion :)

#25 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Yes yes, I'm sorry. This kind of got lost in the shuffle. So, Tom Baker.

The thing that really struck me when we first watched Robot was his silly irreverence, followed somewhat immediately thereafter by his abrasive misanthropy. He just comes off as a real jerk a lot of the time, and it's off-putting. To anticipate a possible argument, the 9th Doctor also comes off as a jerk, yes, but it's kind of the opposite way. Christopher Eccelston's Doctor has a callous veneer, and puts on airs of being harsh and cold, but really has a heart of gold underneath. Contrasted with Tom Baker's Doctor, who seems fun and goofy on the outside, but seems to be overly insensitive on the inside.

Now, having seen a couple more Tom Baker stories even since I made my post above, I can see moments of him really caring about people and even a willingness to sacrifice himself. But much of the time he still comes off as just not a nice guy, deep down. And, perhaps some of this is influenced a little bit by the stories Iíve heard of Tom Baker the actor on the Who set, and how theyíre much more negative than what Iíve heard about the other Doctorsí portrayers. And itís not that I donít like the 4th Doctor, I just donít see what all the fuss is about, compared to some of the others.

Also, itís been said that people tend to like the best whichever Doctor they were introduced to first. I wonder if that affects me negatively as much as it does some of you positively.

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#26 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yes yes, I'm sorry. This kind of got lost in the shuffle. So, Tom Baker.

The thing that really struck me when we first watched Robot was his silly irreverence, followed somewhat immediately thereafter by his abrasive misanthropy. He just comes off as a real jerk a lot of the time, and it's off-putting. To anticipate a possible argument, the 9th Doctor also comes off as a jerk, yes, but it's kind of the opposite way. Christopher Eccelston's Doctor has a callous veneer, and puts on airs of being harsh and cold, but really has a heart of gold underneath. Contrasted with Tom Baker's Doctor, who seems fun and goofy on the outside, but seems to be overly insensitive on the inside.

Now, having seen a couple more Tom Baker stories even since I made my post above, I can see moments of him really caring about people and even a willingness to sacrifice himself. But much of the time he still comes off as just not a nice guy, deep down. And, perhaps some of this is influenced a little bit by the stories Iíve heard of Tom Baker the actor on the Who set, and how theyíre much more negative than what Iíve heard about the other Doctorsí portrayers. And itís not that I donít like the 4th Doctor, I just donít see what all the fuss is about, compared to some of the others.

Also, itís been said that people tend to like the best whichever Doctor they were introduced to first. I wonder if that affects me negatively as much as it does some of you positively.

Interesting! I saw the Patrick Troughton doctor first (RIP), those episodes scared the shit out of me, mostly because they were black and white...not sure of the logic there, but it definitely had an impact :) I found Baker and Davison to be the best mostly because of how emphatic they were, even if Davison was a bit over the top at times.

There are tooooons of instances where Tom Baker goes out of his way to save a life or what-have-you, especially when dealing with the Daleks or The Master. I'm hoping to watch all of the Baker and Davison episodes in order some time soon, so I can try to remember specifics if you'd like :) But yeah, the Doctor is always characterized as a caring being, at least before the resurrection of the series, especially curious toward humans.

on a side note, old Doctor Who eps featured sidekicks who were fucking awesome, male ( Adric) or female (Romana, Leela), including the diabolical Turlow, but man, what happened with Rose, I found her to be utterly awful :(

#27 ironyengine

ironyengine

Extra Dad

• Members
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

Interesting! I saw the Patrick Troughton doctor first (RIP), those episodes scared the shit out of me, mostly because they were black and white...not sure of the logic there, but it definitely had an impact :)

I think the logic was that it was 1968 and the BBC had barely started broadcasting anything in color regularly. But maybe not.

#28 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

Interesting! I saw the Patrick Troughton doctor first (RIP), those episodes scared the shit out of me, mostly because they were black and white...not sure of the logic there, but it definitely had an impact :)

I think the logic was that it was 1968 and the BBC had barely started broadcasting anything in color regularly. But maybe not.

Oh, I meant the logic behind why I was terrified of the b/w episodes, not why they were b/w :)

There's something ominous in seeing a B/W TARDIS...

#29 ironyengine

ironyengine

Extra Dad

• Members
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

Oh, I meant the logic behind why I was terrified of the b/w episodes, not why they were b/w :)

There's something ominous in seeing a B/W TARDIS...

hahah oh. I think black & white footage is just inherently creepier somehow, you're right.

#30 Lt. Dizzle!

Lt. Dizzle!

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

holy shit, i didn't know this place was here!

i <3 doctor who! (if you haven't noticed my avatar on xbl)

my fave doctor (sorry to all the purists) is the tenth, david tennant just did it for me, the ninth doctor was meh to me. the eleventh is not dissapointing me at all, he's pretty decent, it helps that his companion is a total FOX!
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users