260 replies to this topic

#1 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

i mentioned in 11:60 that my external hard drive was corrupted. i've spent the last day or 2 trying to recover everything, and last night i started to format the drive. this morning, i wake up to see that the status bar for the format went all the way to the end, but i still got a message saying that the format couldn't be complete. so now i have a RAW drive that Disk Management won't even detect. how the fuck am i supposed to format it now?

i'm using Windows XP btw

edit: nevermind i got it

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#2 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:58 AM

pour cinnamon on it

#3 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

haha yeah. this drive is still being a piece of shit though. i reformatted it and now it keeps hanging up my system every time i try to copy my files back over to it

i'm just going to see if i can return it. it's been sub-par since day 1

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#4 ironyengine

ironyengine

Extra Dad

• Members
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

That sucks MegaMatt, external drives shouldn't do that kind of thing to your system.

While the thread's open, anybody got any RAID 0+1 experience? hahah

Take your time old man, these vultures are happy to wait... 

#5 Guest_MetalBishop_*

Guest_MetalBishop_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

hit it with a magnet!

#6 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

pour cinnamon on it

toopunk2lose.png

#7 Wolfflight

Wolfflight

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

Sounds like the drive is dieing, I have raid experience need help?
<XMark> Nitro beef injection
<wolfflight> NGI
<wolfflight> 7/6 the BEEF of regular netshows

#8 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

I already mentioned this in 11:60, but why keep clogging that place up with my problems?

Anyway, Shizz Techies, I did a memory diagnostic scan on my computer and turns out I got bad memory. Should I go ahead and buy new ram (I was looking at this pair) or is there something else I should check first?

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#9 Brandon Strader

Brandon Strader

Shizz JediMaster

• Banned
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Same problems with an external drive right now Matt... I took it out of the external casing, removed the little converter box (the thing it plugs into) and reattached that after a while. It worked and I thought it was back to normal so I put it back inside of the casing, now it's acting up again. Might just leave it out of the case if I take it out again, but I need a 2tb internal drive to RAID.

#10 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

That sucks MegaMatt, external drives shouldn't do that kind of thing to your system.

While the thread's open, anybody got any RAID 0+1 experience? hahah

I got servers at work running 0+1... needs 4 drives to a partition. Which is what I needed. High security, but server drives are expensive and small, so I married 4 together for security and double the size. I was thinking RAID 5 or 6, but then I started reading that performance could be hampered and I didn't know enough about it to risk my peace of mind on it. Not much to say about it really except four drives is expensive. You're probably better off with two identical drives that are individually big enough size. to keep things simple. Or alternatively, forget about RAID if you don't need to the second redundancy and get two backup drives and keep one off site at a location you frequent (in your care if necessary). Backup frequently and whenever you backup anything *really* important swap the drives.

Also, make sure to use a backup program that copies the files you want backed up for you (so you're not manually deleting and recopying everything; only the changed or new files should be copied and that usually isn't much).

As a 3rd option, forget about it and get something like carbonite or drop box premium. That's starting to look tempting and cost effective.

#11 Openium

Openium

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I already mentioned this in 11:60, but why keep clogging that place up with my problems?

Anyway, Shizz Techies, I did a memory diagnostic scan on my computer and turns out I got bad memory. Should I go ahead and buy new ram (I was looking at this pair) or is there something else I should check first?

Yes buy new RAM, it really can't hurt you.

Make sure that the RAM you selected is compatible with your motherboard!

Ya know, you seem to have enough computer problems you really should put your laptop make/model in your sig

Power is fleeting, love is eternal

#12 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hahaha yes, no shit. I'm using an Asus n80Vb notebook (laptop). I was sure to match up the ram in the link I posted with the ram specs of my computer so it should be fine. The only reason I asked if there was a way to get away without having to buy more ram is that I'm trying to save money for mag and all and I'm really trying hard to pinch my pennies. I should be pretty good to go for mag at this point but I'd still like to save some extra cash.

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

my contribution to this thread is never underestimate the power of chkdsk /p

seriously, I have a 1tb that started to go wonky for no reason a couple of years ago (cyclic redundancy, couldn't read sectors, etc, I thought the drive was toast), I fired up a dos window and did chkdsk /p as a move of desperation and it has been fine ever since.

#14 Openium

Openium

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hahaha yes, no shit. I'm using an Asus n80Vb notebook (laptop). I was sure to match up the ram in the link I posted with the ram specs of my computer so it should be fine. The only reason I asked if there was a way to get away without having to buy more ram is that I'm trying to save money for mag and all and I'm really trying hard to pinch my pennies. I should be pretty good to go for mag at this point but I'd still like to save some extra cash.

Ha ok cool. Well do you know if both RAM sticks are bad? If only one of them is bad then you really have no need to buy 2 let alone buy any if the other one eventually craps out entirely. If you're trying to save money and can deal with a performance hit then it shouldn't matter.

Power is fleeting, love is eternal

#15 ShawnDouglasPhase

ShawnDouglasPhase

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

perhaps consider stopping all the downloading.
USE MY BODY TO KEEP YOU ALIVE
YEAH
MY DURANGO #95

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users