260 replies to this topic

#31 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Not sure if there's a better thread to post this in, but I could use some help from tech savvy shizzies.

I need to know how to secure my wireless network, because I keep changing the password, most recently to an extremely complicated one using WPA2, and this bastard keeps getting through. What can I do to make my network as tight as fort knox? I've got a Linksys router.

#32 Gurthang

Gurthang

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Not sure if there's a better thread to post this in, but I could use some help from tech savvy shizzies.

I need to know how to secure my wireless network, because I keep changing the password, most recently to an extremely complicated one using WPA2, and this bastard keeps getting through. What can I do to make my network as tight as fort knox? I've got a Linksys router.

One of the most basic things you can do is change your SSID and stop broadcasting it. That means you'll have to manually setup your wireless access on every device since you won't see the network being broadcast anymore. You can also turn on mac filtering and only allow the mac addresses of devices you want to connect to the router.

Of course if this bastard is using airsnort or something similar all that can be gotten around anyway. But at least you've made it a little harder for him.

#33 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Good tips. Thanks bro. :)

#34 JoeMusashi

JoeMusashi

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

MAC filtering is your best bet for sure. I know I'm late, but I figured I'd chime in and parrot the good advice.
mercatfat: no, man
circumcision has WAY better aerodynamics

mercatfat: it's like, you're driving an Element
and I'm in an Audi TT

#35 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

One of the most basic things you can do is change your SSID and stop broadcasting it. That means you'll have to manually setup your wireless access on every device since you won't see the network being broadcast anymore. You can also turn on mac filtering and only allow the mac addresses of devices you want to connect to the router.

Of course if this bastard is using airsnort or something similar all that can be gotten around anyway. But at least you've made it a little harder for him.

Thanks to your advice with the MAC filtering, I stomped this fool out! Thanks again. :)

#36 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Okay, wtf... He's back again. He got through somehow, even though I only had one MAC address allowed on the filter (marui's laptop). Just noticed that he added his own MAC address actually even though I just changed my router's password... I'm not broadcasting my SSID anymore, and now I've even got wireless networking totally disabled and we're wired now, and he's still able to connect! What in the fuck! Any other advice on how I can exterminate this cockroach?? :angry:

#37 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

So this is just some dude trying his damndest to steal internet access because he doesn't want to pay for it like the rest of us? What an asshole, and a loser to boot. Hopefully the Shizz Tech Crew can give you some more tips & tricks to thwart this jack-ass.

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#38 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ashane, have you ever heard of an application called Wireshark?

It might be able to help. But I don't know how to use it.

NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://mattcreameraudio.com/
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#39 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Wait what? Wireless networking is disabled and he got in? Something is very wrong here.

#40 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

Wait what? Wireless networking is disabled and he got in? Something is very wrong here.

Sorry, I actually goofed.. Didn't refresh my network list. Disabling my wireless seems to have been the only solution to keeping him out...

#41 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

You say he keeps modifying the mac filter list?? Did you change the ROUTER'S (not the wifi's) password?? Sorry if this question seems dumb but I have to ask it :lol:
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#42 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Crossed from 11:60:

So the registry on my dad's PC (Windows XP SP3) got corrupted. I fixed that through the repair console, but now it's telling me that I need to activate my copy of Windows when it gets to the user selection screen. Obviously it was activated before the registry got fucked, but now Windows won't recognize that. It ALSO won't allow me to activate, WEEE! I select an administrator account, it tells me to Activate, I say fine, it then pops up with an error window saying "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license on this computer" and sends me back to the fucking user selection screen. I looked this problem up, but of course the provided solutions didn't work. The WPA on this machine is fucked somehow but I don't know how to fix it. I can get into safemode, but don't know what to fix from there. FUCKING FUCKO. fuck.

#43 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

if that fails, then

Posted Image
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#44 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Wish I could suggest something... do you even have a key or was it just activated already when it was purchased?

#45 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Wish I could suggest something... do you even have a key or was it just activated already when it was purchased?

I built it myself around 2005 and have a legit XP CD. My dad doesn't use it for anything other than AOL (...I know, it's 2012) so I'll just end up reinstalling it. Pisses me off about the WPA being fucked though, completely random error that I can't seem to fix.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users