Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

God damn I want my own spaceship.

Ditto'd.

If you understood the magnitude of space and the limitations of physics you wouldn't want one. Going anywhere is like trying to circumnavigate the globe on a rubber duckie like 11 times.

I don't want to visit other stars and stuff, just go into space on a whim.

I bet that with a spaceship, I could pick up chicks like nobody's business. :ph34r:

g4LcJWd.jpg

#32 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

touche

#33 Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Those of you into astronomy AND homebrew on the DS (a rare combo?) should check this out:

http://will0thewisp....ationsDS0.8.rar

It's a little reference guide to the stars. Pretty sweet.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Damn, No DS here :(

#34 Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

Ditto'd.

If you understood the magnitude of space and the limitations of physics you wouldn't want one. Going anywhere is like trying to circumnavigate the globe on a rubber duckie like 11 times.

I understand the magnitude of space just fine, thank you Mr.high-and-mighty ruler of astrophysics.

You're assuming that faster-than-light travel is impossible, ignoring the possibility of things like Lorentzian manifolds or an Alcubierre drive, hyperspace through alternate dimensions (either smaller in size or with a different constant of light) or wormholes. And lets us not pass over the idea of an Infinite Improbability Drive!!! SO THERE.

Yeah, odds are Einstein was right about most things, but we don't know shit about physics overall. We're still arguing about quantum and string theory, and we're nowhere near a universal model to connect micro-physics and macro-physics. So who's to say that we won't find some convenient engine that allows ship propulsion at the level necessary for my theoretical ship to fly around teh galaxy?

In other news, I think theoretical physics is cool!
Also, The spice must flow.

#35 Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Also, whether you travel near-light-speed for a long time in cryo-stasis Master Chief style or if you travel at faster-than-light speed through some magic drive, either way let us not forget the added benefit of being able to leave $10 in a savings account and then when you finally get back to earth, you're a fucking kajillionaire from the interest, and everyone you know is dead! Its win/ win ;)

#36 EBattousai

EBattousai

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I used to do amateur astronomy with my dad. We were part of the SJAA club and we also built a couple reflecting telescopes from scratch. The first one was for me: an 8 inch with a neat laser sight thing on the side. He built himself a 15 inch one; it was bigger than a cannon. I'll try to get pictures of them sometime the next time I go home.

I took an astronomy class at community college but never paid attention and didn't go to class ever on Thursdays (it was a T/Th class and I was too cool to go). It's a pity because they have one of the biggest planetariums on a college campus, something like second biggest west of the Mississippi. Oh well.

Bucky, that GIF was a major mindstack as some people already noted. Where did you get something like that? NASA?

---

Last year a housemate of mine set his desktop to be NASA's image of the day. Those galleries are amazing.

#37 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Ditto'd.

I understand the magnitude of space just fine, thank you Mr.high-and-mighty ruler of astrophysics.

You're assuming that faster-than-light travel is impossible, ignoring the possibility of things like Lorentzian manifolds or an Alcubierre drive, hyperspace through alternate dimensions (either smaller in size or with a different constant of light) or wormholes. And lets us not pass over the idea of an Infinite Improbability Drive!!! SO THERE.

Yeah, odds are Einstein was right about most things, but we don't know shit about physics overall. We're still arguing about quantum and string theory, and we're nowhere near a universal model to connect micro-physics and macro-physics. So who's to say that we won't find some convenient engine that allows ship propulsion at the level necessary for my theoretical ship to fly around teh galaxy?

With those fantasy travel methods I'll file them under "I'll believe it when I see it", and for now discard them with the rest of the perpetual motion machines using magnets that you can find on the internet. Even if wormholes exist, they wouldn't be stable enough to use. Alternate dimensions, again if there was one shred of physical evidence they even MIGHT exist outside of a dreamy physicists head I'll believe it when I see it. I am assuming that faster-than-light travel is impossible because all evidence observed points to that conclusion. Any other conclusion should be proceeded by a "what if".

Everyone wants a universal Grand Unified Theory, but who knows if it even exists, and if it does, who knows if that will hold some magic ability to break the light barrier. The only thing traveling faster than the speed of light is the expansion of the universe, which to me is intriguing.

#38 Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Ditto'd.

With those fantasy travel methods I'll file them under "I'll believe it when I see it", and for now discard them with the rest of the perpetual motion machines using magnets that you can find on the internet. Even if wormholes exist, they wouldn't be stable enough to use. Alternate dimensions, again if there was one shred of physical evidence they even MIGHT exist outside of a dreamy physicists head I'll believe it when I see it. I am assuming that faster-than-light travel is impossible because all evidence observed points to that conclusion. Any other conclusion should be proceeded by a "what if".

Everyone wants a universal Grand Unified Theory, but who knows if it even exists, and if it does, who knows if that will hold some magic ability to break the light barrier. The only thing traveling faster than the speed of light is the expansion of the universe, which to me is intriguing.

... IF it exists? how can it not? I don't follow. Its not like science is this thing that there is some of out there, and we slowly find it. The universe IS, and we slowly come to understand it. By the fact that it IS, and I'm pretty damn sure that it exists, being as how I'm in it right now, it kinda self-proves that there's a unified theory explaining it.

Also, Who says wormholes have to be unstable? And actually, there's some strong evidence about the alternate dimensions thing. Its one of the more likely explanations to the question of the behavior of particles.

My main point is, if there are so many things to which there are no answer, why does the default answer to ALL of them have to be "no, its impossible" and then if some day one of them is proven right, then you go "oh, okay." Isn't it more reasonable to assume that at least one of these things will likely prove true?

#39 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

All I'm saying is, why should I believe that faster than light travel can be accomplished when every single piece of empirical evidence gathered so far says otherwise?

A lot of GUT and String Theory bullshit is theoretical physicists trying to get papers published and find ways to explain the unobservable, whether they have any evidence to back it up or not.

Yeah, the GUT is PROBABLY true. We'll probably have to obtain the pressure created by a universe the size of our galaxy in order observe it though.

Wormholes, as of right now, are science fiction. Most of the people theorizing about wormholes agree that in order to use them, some form of exotic matter that "hypothetically might exist" would be necessary to use it. So we need some hypothetical space-time event, and a hypothetical substance, to hypothetically do some elaborate task. I do like that they work within Einsteinian physics though.

As a scientist, yes I can hypothesize, but I'm not going to go against what has been empirically proven so far. At this point in time, and my belief forever, galaxy level space travel will be logistically impossible.

If someone gives me a legitimate, testable, and provable model of super-luminal-travel, I'll believe it. Otherwise it's fiction.

Edit:

instability of wormholes

#40 EBattousai

EBattousai

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

All I'm saying is if I can get my hands on a Portal gun, I will be a happy man. But enough of this physics! You guys go get a thread!

Who here has been to a star party?

#41 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:24 AM

I've got a star named after me. Well, named after Norrin_Radd. It was one of my birthday presents from my girlfriend the first year we were going out.

It's just kind of neat, that in some lab, one certain star is refered to as Norrin_Radd. :)

NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://mattcreameraudio.com/
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#42 marui

marui

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

>bucky

i watched your post like twenty times. so fascinating. thanks.

#43 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

So how about this trip to Mars business?

Shouldn't they make it a suicide mission? With its increased gravity I'm pretty sure it'll be really hard to get back off of there, the moon it ain't.

Human sacrifice isn't barbaric it's noble and it'd make this space exploration a hell of a lot simpler. If I had the opportunity to go to Mars I'd jump all over it.

Then we can start working on Europa and Ganymede and Titan and such.

And why are we looking so hard for life, get on with the terraforming already! Lets fuck up some more planets I can't wait!

I'm super serious about some of these ideas, really and just crazy about others, I don't even know anymore.

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#44 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,204 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

Isn't Mars smaller than Earth?

#45 Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Isn't Mars smaller than Earth?

Well, there's two things to consider here. One, they're roughly close in size, but density and mass determine gravitational pull, not volume.
Also, when a ship takes off from Earth, It has huge fucking booster jets, which it consumes just trying to reach escape velocity, and it drops them in the ocean as It approaches orbit. They're only able to get off the moon once they get there because the escape velocity of the moon is freaking nothing. You could almost jump it. ^^

So yeah, it'd be hard to go from earth -> mars -> earth.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users