683 replies to this topic

#1 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

First off, here's a very detailed NSFE tutorial by bucky if you're interested in helping.

2nd, this is a spreadsheet detailing every NSF out there, and its NSFE completion status. if you're looking for games to claim, it's important to note the color next to the game in the NSFE column.
Blue = NSF is available to claim.
Yellow = NSFE is already done, or being verified.
Red = Work in progress. If you claim a game, the blue cell should be changed to red.

Where to download NSFEs:

TheWiiGuy's NSFE dropbox - just get everything here. It's the most complete and up-to-date collection out there

^ Part 1: NTSC

Part 2: PAL-only, unreleased, cancelled, prototypes

Part 3: Famicom (Japan-only)

Part 4: PAL versions of NTSC games

Part 5: Unlicensed, bootlegs

Part 6: Hacks, Homebrews, Overclocked, Covers, Fixes, Old / outdated versions

Also, there's MrNorbert1994's site where you can find the newest NSF rips, as well as an NSF+NSFE archive.

the rest of this OP preserved for no reason in particular

Spoiler

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#2 cacomistle

cacomistle

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

wow. looks cool.
i'll try to help out with some games i know.

#3 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

Awesome! You can add conquest of the crystal palace to the WIP list.
It'll be done shortly, I just found out about a secret area in the second level that may use one of the "unknown" tracks I couldn't find in the game before.

Don't forget to check here first, so we can contribute to their archive and add stuff that isn't up yet.
http://slickproductions.org/nsfe.php

I think getting every nsf converted to nsfe would be a total nightmare, but hey I don't think anyone is in a rush. One step at a time!

#4 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

I don't know shit about NSFEs, if someone will tell me what program I need to do this shit I'll gladly help out though.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#5 Tim 200X

Tim 200X

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

I don't know shit about NSFEs, if someone will tell me what program I need to do this shit I'll gladly help out though.

Ditto here. Actually, I don't know shit about ripping anything. Is there a tutorial or something somewhere I can read? I'd like to help out.

sorry for lack of limrick
i was too busy with ur moms tit
yea i'm talkin sex
year 200x
so shut up and eat bag of dick

#6 Disposable Hero

Disposable Hero

Dimensional Shambling Troll / True Dew Casual

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

What Wizwar and 200X said.
Put some South in yer mouth.

#7 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

you don't have to rip anything. all you need is NotSoFatso, which is like the standard NSF plugin anyway. i'm not sure how to do it in the standalone version, but all you have to do in Winamp is:

-load any existing NSF to your playlist
-go to File Info for the NSF
-click 'Convert to NSFE', and save the file
-load the NSFE you just made, now get File Info for that
-click the 'Track Info' tab
-from there, you can go to every track and give it a title, play time, and fadeout time
-make sure to Save Changes every time you do anything
-and then, if you want, go to the 'Playlist Info' tab
-you can then arrange the tracks in the order you want

there is no ripping required, and the only conversion you have to do is a few easy clicks. from there on it's just giving the file proper tags. if all that sounds like too much work, like i said, just post a track listing or something and i will apply it to the NSFE myself. it would be really awesome if i could get a lot of people on board for this, no matter how great or small the contribution

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#8 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

is anybody opposed to taking out ~1 second jingles? i'm going to treat them the same way as sound fx, unless i just really really like it enough to keep it

ex. i'm taking out tracks 14 and 18 from Gun Nac because i don't really care for them, and don't really add anything musically to the soundtrack. but i'm keeping 21 because it's nice and just good enough to stay

#9 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

is anybody opposed to taking out ~1 second jingles? i'm going to treat them the same way as sound fx, unless i just really really like it enough to keep it

Depends on what it is. I personally like things like Zelda whistle or item grab being kept in the soundtracks just because they're cool little Jingle, but I could do without Pause sound effects or whatever for certain games.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#10 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

here's another tiny little dilemma i've come across, but it's mostly because i'm ridiculously anal about this kind of thing

should recurring tracks be in strict order as they appear in the game, or is there a better way to order them? for example, i'm still working on Gun Nac. tracks like Boss Theme 1, Boss Theme 2, Extra Life, Boss Defeated, Area Clear, and Game Over could go in a variety of different places, but i don't know which would be best. if i'm doing strict game order, it would be something like:
Area 1
Boss Theme 1
Boss Defeated
Area Clear
Area 2
Area 3
Boss Theme 2
Area 4
and so on, but i still don't know where Extra Life and Game Over would best fit in

another way of ordering it would be to save some of the tracks for later, like this:
Area 7
Boss Theme 1
Area 8
Boss Theme 2
Final Boss
Boss Defeated
Area Clear
Ending

am i looking into this too much? yes. does one track order look better than the other? let me know. i need feedback here
i know some people would just decide on their preferred order and not think twice about it. i wish i was like that

#11 Kirby Pufocia

Kirby Pufocia

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

I took (minor) liberties with the ordering of tracks in Zoda's Revenge. Mostly I tried to spread the dungeon themes out 'cause (unless you speed run/are deaf) you've heard 6 of the 8 by the 3rd chapter and all of them by the halfway point in chapter 5. That and I saved the Zoda battle theme for where it would play as final boss music.

In general, I'd say follow the game unless it sounds uneven. I dunno.

I'm more worried about what to do in the case that a theme plays in more than one place/for more than one reason and there isn't an OST to steal a track title from. Example: "Overworld - Chapter 7 (Transylvania)" in Zoda's revenge plays in 3 places: while moving through the puzzle maze in Chapter 2, in the Mansion in chapter 6, and on the overworld in Transylvania (chapter 7). No idea what to call it, so I gave the most major area (chapter theme) precedence.

Thoughts?

#12 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

i would either give it the most dominant theme, or name it something like "Puzzle Maze / Mansion / Transylvania"

#13 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Gun Nac is up. sometimes you have to listen really intently to find the loop points. i gave up trying to find them on Adventure Island last night because some of the tracks in that game have insane melodies and progressions that were stacking my mind

#14 Kilu

Kilu

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

I tagged a couple sets a good while back, they are at slick productions archive. Use them if they are good enough.

In case I feel like doing more, any preferences on what kind of times we should use? I mean, on various soundformats that I have tagged (psf, gsf, nsfe), the "standard" is two loops and a nice fadeout.

Coincidentally I was thinking about doing a similar project, not as ambitious though, with my brother and host the stuff on my website, but I probably just contribute to this one if I ever get arsed enough.
panic-dance.gif
This is no place for a horse.

#15 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

In case I feel like doing more, any preferences on what kind of times we should use? I mean, on various soundformats that I have tagged (psf, gsf, nsfe), the "standard" is two loops and a nice fadeout.

that's what i'm using. it's a pretty universal standard as far as this type of music goes. i'll add your stuff to the list

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users