#663 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Ripped PAL Stuff:

Hayashi Tohru's god-awful driver: Championship Rally (Australia only)

Rollerball (Australia Only)

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (Germany only)

Mario Bros Classic (PAL Only)

Metroid- Prevent header bankswich.

Speaking of the last one... oh boy... I wonder who's bright idea was to store this specific ID sequence in almost every R&D1 Studio game: 01 02 04 08 10 20 40...
The Main Themes were on separated banks for some reason, making tihs game to be one of the very first ones to use mapper controlled bankswitching.

Another weird thing is that the SFXs have 3 separated init calls.

#664 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

MegaMatt, it’s amusing how much in awe I am of a 210kb sound file, since that’s a drop in the bucket compared to modern soundtracks, but it’s impressive knowing the limitations of the hardware 25 years ago.  Metal Slader Glory was also the largest cartridge for the Famicom (8 megabits), and the game’s poor sales led to HAL’s buyout by Nintendo.  Without that chain of events Kirby may never have been a Nintendo icon.
Jace, I know it’s convoluted, but basically I upload any new NSFes to WiiGuy’s DropBox, and he checks them over for any mistakes I have made.  Once he’s given them the all clear he moves them over to the shared folder.  I know it’s been a few months since the last update to the shared link you posted; I’m not sure how far along he is on checking the uploads I’ve posted in the meantime.

I think you mean 201KB. :P Here is a "short" answer why it is so big in size.

The reason why it is so big after seeing the game's source code, is because it uses I think 7-8 banks for music playback, and I'm even afraid that separate banks could use even separated play addresses and so on.

Since in my programming standpoint there is not a single "GOOD" rip out of it, the filesize would be probably 300-500KB, if I would set up the 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 headered version. If you guys look up my Golden KTV rip, it is 929KB, because every song (56) has its custom sub-bank routine, but after I cropped out a few of my own rips which had 2-3 banks for playback, my best bet would be still around 500-600KB.

I tried to rip a single bank out of MSG, but after seeing how wretched it is, and there is almost virtually very few space remains for the init and play setup blocks I passed on. HAL drivers are pretty weird. It is as if almost every game of theirs execpt Kirby would perform a weird MMC5 bankswitch routine for their data blocks. For example their Uchuu Keibitai SDF game never uses the MMC5 for audio, yet the NSF header needs the MMC5 bit, because of this bankswitch method. And that game only uses 1 fixed bank for music...

#665 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Judge Dredd, Motherfucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,152 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

golden ktv's got some good trax in it. seems like i play at least one or two of em. thanks for all your dedication here good sir, youre the best.

huh1.gif

#666 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

I reripped Rampart to have every song in it and the DMC SFXs.

Oh and... made a normal rip for Quattro Arcade and Sports.

Seriously... who's bright idea was to separate the game's NSF instead of padding it together?

#667 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Merged together Red-Fire's PC game: Grand Dad. (Which is a homage to all of the weird pirate games we eastern europeans grew up on. :P )

Every subtune has its init and playcall separately, because one of the tracks alone is 29KB, which uses all up the memory regions from $8000 - $EFFF.

To be honest I was afraid merging like this is not possible since the game uses all the expansion audio bytes, and to thing that let alone some tracks use 2 or even 3 expansion chips (mostly N163 + VRC6 at the same time).

It was quite a fun thing to me to hack it together, and since this game has its reputation, I thought I make your jobs easier to ya NSFE makers. :P

#668 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

• Members
  • 25,152 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

hehe, i had to slow that last track down on my own when i did it in the stock reports, was wondering what was up there. said it earlier but thanks again for this! tracks i did from this new rip of grand dad appear in the 10-25 and 10-26 stock reports.

huh1.gif

#669 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

Stock reports...

Might I ask what are those in your context?

I doubt it has anything to do with banking.

#670 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

• Members
  • 25,152 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/shawnphase

https://candsstockreports.bandcamp.com

check em out. vgm a la carte...at this point i can play a ton of different stuff that i keep adding to. you guys that are handling these rips are the ones who help keep the stock reports comin tho. stock reports cuz sometimes its up, sometimes its down..lately ive been doin real good tho.

huh1.gif

#671 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Now it makes more sense. :P

Speaking of video sharing...

You don't see these types of videos too often, but only when a red moon passes by the end of October. :P

Mike Ridel completely pissed me off with his shittastic NES driver.

#672 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

• Members
  • 25,152 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

huh1.gif

#673 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Happy Halloween!  MrNorbert1994 and Karmic NSF updates are much appreciated, but I admit I’m not able to keep up as well as I’d like.  In addition to everything else going on, I had an external hard drive issue that’s required my attention.  I have two pieces of free advice for everyone:

1. If you can’t afford cloud storage, drives are cheap, so back up your most crucial and/or sentimental data using multiple locations/methods.
2. Testdisk is your friend.  If that doesn’t work, its companion Photorec is your friend.
Anyway, my latest update includes the newly fixed (and SFX tagged) versions of Adventure Island III, Mario Bros. Classic, Metroid, and Tecmo Super Bowl, as well as SFX labelled (but not tagged) files for Battleship, Bio Force Ape, Challenger, Dynamite Bowl, Galactic Crusader (with the square one channel fixed), Galaxian, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Noah’s Ark (plus NTSC Conversion), Quattro Arcade: Stunt Buggies, Side Pocket (the PAL version with different music), Toobin’, Treasure Master, and the Famicom Ys trilogy.  I also timed the new Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou NSFe that NewRisingSun had arranged/tagged.

#674 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

Ahh, Tecmo Super Bowl.  A game could be produced with the rendering power to depict every bead of sweat on all the players and spectators in the game and it still wouldn't be as fun as TSB.  I think there's a couple minor SFX missing, but the songs are all there as far as I know.

I reripped Tecmo Super Bowl.

According to the doc, some SFXs were missing, songs?

I need somebody to verify my rip about it.

(Because I'm sure hell no gonna play through this game.)

#675 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

I added 3 more unripped japanese baseball games to the bunch as well I'm shrinking down NSFs that has their variables all over the place (things like Masuno Hiroyuki's stuff).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users