#737 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Who made the NSFE for this one...

I probably did.  If I remember correctly I was waiting for a new rip with improved DPCM, but it's been a while.  Point me to a better NSF and I'll be happy to fix the NSFe.

The latest DropBox update for WiiGuy to sort crosses three North American titles off the to-do list: Legends of the Diamond: The Baseball Championship Game, Major League Baseball, and The Mutant Virus: Crisis in a Computer World, plus prototypes for Hard Drivin' and Robert Byrne's Pool Challenge.  Once more, great work MrNorbert1994, Karmic, and NewRisingSun.  Also included are fixes for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Hillsfar, California Games (NTSC & PAL), Radia Senki: Remei-Hen, Raid on Bungeling Bay, Super Cars, and Tecmo World Wrestling (NTSC & PAL), plus some other random SFX updates.

#738 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

http://forums.nesdev...=115&start=2385

Actually, Stunt Kids uses 7BitPCM and DPCM at the same time. Radia Senki worked on most emulators, however the one I used failed to play it properly since the game used illegal opcodes and needed the typical RAM fetch for 1 song.

Hard Drivin' I think it probably broken since it uses multiple DPCM banks and those needs some extensive hacking to get working.

So mark that as In progress or something.

#739 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

Did an NSFE for once.

And somebody should modifiy the forum's engine, because the 3KB uploading is just crap.

#740 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Added missing Sound Effects to the US version of Tom Sawyer.

This game is a massive uncompiled piece of shit.

The sequence data is stored all over the place, and every stage has a separated bank, that's why they were never in any public rips for the past 10+ years.

I also added a proper lookuptable how you hear the songs, so I guess making an updated NSFE for it wouldn't be much of a problem, not to mention that I shirnked down the almost 2 year old full rip from 129 KB to 68.

#741 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:45 AM

http://www.mediafire...fi/PAL Hacks.7z

Did a few game hacks and stuff.

#742 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:32 AM

Ripped out Air Fortress' FDS prototype.

#743 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Tweaked the code and castrated all the invalid instructions in Wayne Gretzky's Hockey.

Also added the DPCM! (WHY THE FUCK THEY USED DPCM HERE...) samples to it.

Didn't screwed with the SFX part this time, as I already expressed my honest opinions on Julian Lefay's shittastic NES driver. :P

#744 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

http://forums.nesdev...=219059#p219059

Added the sqaure ostinato and square echo effects to this broken poor fella.

The DPCM issue was not the only problem.

#745 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hi folks!  I know it's been a while, but I needed to slow down and take a break from NSFe tagging.  I just uploaded quite a few files to WiiGuy's DropBox account, most of which are SFX updates (many from Imagineering/Mark Van Hecke), but some of which are fixes with new tracks (Street Cop with the correct Title Screen, Hogan's Alley).  Speaking of new tracks, does anyone know where tracks 10 & 11 in the fixed Caveman Games NSF occur in-game?  The only new titles to cross off the list are the European version of Wario's Woods and the Vs. version of Ice Climber.  I did have one question for MrNorbert1994: what's the difference between the PAL Optimized, PAL 50Hz, and/or Dendy tracks within the same NSF file?  Keep up the good work, and the same goes for Karmic, NewRisingSun, and Gil Galad.

#746 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Imaginnering titles were interesting: every single of those games had a RAM byte which constatly decreasing, which controller the vibrato effects for the sound engine. It is not unheard, since this trick was also used in that PAL Rodland game, and in a few other games.

Because of this we pretty much had to rerip every single one of those games.

As far as I can tell, this was heard here. Caveman Games also suffers from a continous problem that it stores its mini game themes and SFXs in spearate banks (don't really understand the reasoning here), and get this: those tracks are stored as SFX! WTF :D

Actually VS. Ice Climber sounds exactly like its FDS version.

Well for that last one here is the deal:

Around a year ago, there was a bloke on Facebook who was constantly annoyed by the fact that there are no Dendy variations for commerical games' NSFs. To get it: Dendy was a hardware clone of the Famicom which was only released in Eastern Europe,(Russia, Hungary, Slovakia, Estonia just to name a few) which was literally a Famicom running on a 50Hz CPU. So all of the games we had were in the correct pitch (not unlike the commerical games that suffered in Western Europe like Germany, France, Britan, Spain etc.) altough they were just as slow if I were about to play them on a real PAL machine.

Since this guy was russian, and had no basic understadning of how to use NSFPlay's Dendy plugin, I asked Karmic, if he can make a code that branches between the original tempo, and then jumps into an emulated field which behaves if the NSF was played on a Dendy machine.

The code worked, and I asked him if this code can also work if the Dendy emulation is over and it could fasten the engine speed, so that if I play the NSF on a hardware player, it would sound a pitch down, but at least in the correct speed.

This is for the NES - Dendy - PAL 50Hz rips.

The NES - PAL Optimazed NSFs are basically the same, only that I make a patch code to skip the Dendy emulation routine.

The PAL Optimazed NSFs are made for games that by normal means never got any pitch or any speed optimazion at all.

*Like the early NROM games by Nintendo or later games like Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Probotector, Castlevania II, Robocop 3 etc.*

Hope this explain things. :P

Also, I would like to ask: do you have any kind of contact outside from this forum?

In the past few months I saw that you were tagging broken rips, or rips that were in a pre-alpha stage (which I didn't marked them properly, so sorry for that).

#747 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

It would be cool if, for notoriety's sake if nothing else, there were a dedicated standalone website for this stuff, like the Stone-Oakvalley repository or the HVSC. Does anyone have webspace for/interest in something like that?

#748 Anonymotron

Anonymotron

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:02 AM

I figured it was something like that, so thanks for the explanation MrNorbert1994. You can PM me in this forum or I can also PM you my e-mail address for additional contact info.  Believe me, I don't want to waste time tagging broken and/or unfinished rips, so I'd gladly accept more guidance on what I can avoid.  For example, I saw several versions of Space Shuttle Project over at nesdev, and I had tagged the version before the full VFX with vibrato.  Obviously part of my problem is I get overly excited about new rips (especially for titles that haven't been done yet or major fixes) but, as you say, I have no outward indication of the "completeness" of the NSF.

I second your motion, Jace, although I haven't the time or ability to help in that capacity.  Someone get on that, stat!

#749 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Megami Tensei II is shown in green on the spreadsheet but doesn't appear in the Famicom archive in Nikola's dropbox. Am I missing something?

#750 MrNorbert1994

MrNorbert1994

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

^
Interesting.

But then again I don't recommend to anyone to tag Megami Tensei II at this point. :P

That game still has some fatal problems initalizing the $F800 address port, which causes to break on a lot of old players, and I'm not even sure if the sounding is clear what is ingame, not to mention that there is no video footage of the game online with a full playthrough, so that I could properly arrange the songs via the million times afromentioned relocation table which is easy as pie to code. :P (Which kinda defeats the purpose of NSFE tagging at least in the song ordering way). I guess there are a few on nicovideo but, I'm not even trying to waste my time to watch those videos where most makers tend to put some robot anime voice that is killing my braincells. Seriously... what the hell is wrong with those people...

Anyways...

Lately Karmic did a fix for Erika To Satoru No Yume Bouken, which missed a lot of channels and he had to dismantle the joyport reads out of the engine, and it needed a pretty weird ram initalization table setup...

Then again I will never going to understand developers why the fuck they messed to code the joystick reads in the sound bank, since Atlus games tend to put their main driver into the $C000-$FFFF memory range (which in some mappers is the hardwired bank).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users