3922 replies to this topic

#3916 Drea Scarlett

Drea Scarlett

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

KarlGerm thanks for having the courage to share that. I admire your tenacity to get through tough times.  I just heard the news about Chester Bennington. It's disheartening to hear the untimely death of someone that was a part of a generation or decade that meant something to you.

13510828_1129919247031152_26318489092154
HAL Yes

#3917 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Karl, what you said described a lot of myself in highschool. I think Hybrid Theory was either my first or second CD I ever owned (along with Orgy's "Candyass") and it was my sophomore or junior year when I got it and I just remember fitting in *nowhere* and being a complete outcast and so a lot of the music spoke to me, even if I didn't realize it as much then being an angsty teen than I do now. I guess it is hitting me a bit harder than I thought something like that should, as you said. Just a lot of emotions swirling about.

RIP Chester. You left us way too damn soon. <3

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

sig_2.png

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com

#3918 shahan

shahan

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

it is really shocking. reading his letter to cornell... damn. i LOVED linkin park growing up. I bought so many CDs. I remember going to FYE and buying "Live in Texas" completely oblivious to the fact that it was a live album. I thought "Live in Texas" was like another album I thought the name was a concept like "Oh you "Live" in texas" and not this is linkin park performing "Live" in texas lol. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned what it was, that's how I learned what a live album was.
I totally relate to that Karl. I remember everyone collectively hating them right around when they did the song for the soundtrack for Transformers and I was kinda bummed but I joined in on the hate train because i'm a fucking conformist sheep.

but yeah just shocking, reading the details of this and the people affected..
makes me think about the people in my life who could go at any time in a similar way. I fear the "never saw it coming". "he seemed so happy" kinda thing. I'm terrified of seeing that happening to a friend that's close to me. but you can't control it. at all and it fucking sucks. all you can do is be good to them try to make their lives less shitty i guess.

#3919 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

i was already well into diy stuff by the time LP came out so i never liked them, but this is still a bummer. Chester was from the local 'alternative' scene and i had been at shows that his old band played back in the 90s. i never really cared then but now it just seems weird that one of the 'big' dudes from that era just offed himself. i think that because i have suffered through suicidal periods, anyone even remotely linked to my life killing themselves really hits me hard. i read somewhere that he did it on chris cornell's birthday and thats just soul crushing stuff.

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#3920 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

I still remember getting Hybrid in high school, and even though I didn't like a lot of their stuff after the first few albums, I still have a bunch of songs I listen to regularly that still resonate with me to this day. 

Damn. This just brings all the bad thoughts.

#3921 weener

weener

Shizz Gawd

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

I was never a fan of their music, but it turns out Chester was a high school friend of a friend of mine, who posted a lengthy message about how much he liked this person back when they were goofy drama kids.

"This thing is vibrating like a $50 milkshake!"

#3922 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

guys I saw Incubus last night and Brandon Boyd went up to the mic during the set and said "This one is for our friend Chester" and they played Wish You Were Here and followed it up with Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. It was beautiful

PLeKsvM.jpg

#3923 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

I think I'm going to turn down that offer to sing for Velvet Revolver.

You will control a battletoad

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users