#4246 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

jeeez, i don't know if i could handle reading this entire thread lol

stay strong, treat yourself to a baby seal here and there, and make sure to stay hydrated. dealing with a partner with mental issues while you yourself also are going through problems is exhausting and really wears you both down so alyways try to keep the overall situational status in mind when thinking about/ dealing with problem flare-ups

I've slowly been reading through this thread since I joined the forum; it's sad that so many people have to struggle with this but it's awesome that there seems to be a supportive community here and a place to share stories and experiences.

I've struggled with depression for almost 2 decades now, and anxiety showed up in the last few years too. It cost me more than one job and multiple other opportunities over the years. I haven't been on any medication for it for about 10 years now, with the exception of some anxiety meds when that got really bad a few years ago. I had a really bad experience with the last SSRI I was on, and at that point I resolved to tackle it by any other means necessary, unless it got to the point where it was truly unbearable again. I have a few strategies that seem to be effective for me but it's certainly one of those things where the best solution is the one that works for you, and external help isn't always useful.

My partner is also struggling with depression, but his journey has been quite different to mine, and it has been tough to help him despite being able to honestly say "I know what you're going through".

I know I'm a newbie, but I'm happy to offer suggestions or ideas, along with encouragement!

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#4247 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

stay strong, treat yourself to a baby seal here and there, and make sure to stay hydrated. dealing with a partner with mental issues while you yourself also are going through problems is exhausting and really wears you both down so alyways try to keep the overall situational status in mind when thinking about/ dealing with problem flare-ups

Good advice. It can feel pretty awful at the times when we're both feeling down. But one thing I've learned over the years is how to quickly recognize the signs that an episode is starting, and that gives me a little more power over it. I'm able to call it out pretty quickly and try to kick all the coping mechanisms up a notch. The trick now is being able to let the other person know that it's happening as soon as possible instead of suffering in silence together.

#4248 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

It's amazing how easy it is to go from feeling really good about life, to feeling...weird?  Certainly not good, in a short amount of time. 

tl;dr Maybe this belongs in the GIRLS! thread.  I have this female friend, we're both attracted to eachother and both consider eachother pretty much fucking awesome.  But she's not in a place to be more than friends, and with me being perpetually single, not by choice, that makes life feel pretty damn lonely.

Spoiler

It's like, here's a taste of this thing that you could have.  Maybe.  But probably not.  But it's something you actually really want.  But don't get your hopes up.  But what if it could?  How would it happen?  Would it turn out alright?  Don't think too hard about it, kid.  

#4249 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,756 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

That sucks, Ranger. Being in that position of "this COULD be good but that's just a could" is no bueno. Good on you for standing by your integrity in the face of temptation and not going down the cheating path. I remember looking back at one point in my life and pieced some things together to realize I was probably "the other guy" and it was not a great feeling, even if I didn't like her now-ex. But I totally feel you on the lonely front. I'm not in a position to be in a relationship, I don't think, and I'm not sure that I will be again, but the loneliness is often the worst/most defeating part of it.

Story/Indulgence time:

Spoiler

Overall I'm doing a lot better than I was, and I don't ever want to sound ungrateful for the support I get and the good things that I get to experience.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users