• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

final mission!!!!

zophar has it

btw, thanks kirby/tss!

nsf retracked un squadron songs

link?

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#17 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Rollergames is pretty great.

thats an understatement

I also like track 7 from Konami Hyper Soccer.

the Blue Marlin soundtrack has a few amazing tunes.. a nsf with corrected drums was posted here at some point.
http://theshizz.org/...p...st&p=593866
tracks 3 and 7 are essential.

everything else I can think of has been listed
.\|/.

#18 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Wow, I'm not reading through all that to double-check if Maniac Mansion, Deja Vu, Shadowgate and Uninvited are in the list. Way to win the thread though, Norrin.

Also Kage/Blue Shadow/Shadow of the Ninja. And Battletoads. And Crystalis. And Super C. And Contra Force.

Fuck it, I'm not trying to be here all night.

I was getting ready to chime in with Maniac Mansion, Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu. Those should cover all of your non-action oriented selections and anytime where you need something more spooky and mysterious.

#19 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

I like your organized lists Bucky! Sometimes it's hard to remember which games had those samples or expansions in them!

You know what I think would be a fun Shizz experiment? If we picked a year, say 88 - 91 era, and found all the best NES soundtracks for that year. 91 had some absolutely stunning NES soundtracks. It's kind of fun to limit the search for tracks some what, and then you can get an idea for how advanced the sound engine SHOULD have been for it's time. Another way to appreciate the techniques they were using. For example, a track in the 80's that features really fresh modulation or echoes is even more impressive than a game in the 90's that did. And alternately, a game in the 90's with poor echoes is just odd, and pretty ugly.

Anyway, is that another thread worthy?
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#20 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#21 Reggie

Reggie

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

I like your organized lists Bucky! Sometimes it's hard to remember which games had those samples or expansions in them!

You know what I think would be a fun Shizz experiment? If we picked a year, say 88 - 91 era, and found all the best NES soundtracks for that year. 91 had some absolutely stunning NES soundtracks. It's kind of fun to limit the search for tracks some what, and then you can get an idea for how advanced the sound engine SHOULD have been for it's time. Another way to appreciate the techniques they were using. For example, a track in the 80's that features really fresh modulation or echoes is even more impressive than a game in the 90's that did. And alternately, a game in the 90's with poor echoes is just odd, and pretty ugly.

Anyway, is that another thread worthy?

I like that idea. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I missed from those years.

Again, thanks for the help, guys.

#22 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

DIV BY ZERO on Neil Baldwin (he references Bucky's lists in this thread in his description of track 10 of Magician on his site).

#23 n00bsaibot

n00bsaibot

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

skate or die - 6 - downhill jam

skate or die 2 - 10 and 11 - Icepick and CJ/level 4,
14 - unknown (not used)

solstice - 1 - title theme

uninvited - 6 - the maze
12- game over
13 - broken record

zelda 2 - 2 - overworld
6 - palace
13 - the great palace

monster party - level 1 part 2

dont feel like digging up data discs to pick out tracks from deja vu and shadowgate

#24 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

skate or die - 6 - downhill jam

skate or die 2 - 10 and 11 - Icepick and CJ/level 4,
14 - unknown (not used)

solstice - 1 - title theme

uninvited - 6 - the maze
12- game over
13 - broken record

zelda 2 - 2 - overworld
6 - palace
13 - the great palace

monster party - level 1 part 2

dont feel like digging up data discs to pick out tracks from deja vu and shadowgate

Data discs? Is this an April Fool?

#25 n00bsaibot

n00bsaibot

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Eastern time here

I have a small hard drive so my deja vu and shadowgate mp3s are backed up on data disk somewhere

shadowgate game over is awesome

maniac mansion

3 razor
5 syd
8 michael
12 tentacle demo
16 (unused)

#26 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

DIV BY ZERO on Neil Baldwin (he references Bucky's lists in this thread in his description of track 10 of Magician on his site).

oh shit! i wonder if Norrin knows about this site. reading about this stuff straight from the composer = boner overload

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#27 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

Eastern time here

I have a small hard drive so my deja vu and shadowgate mp3s are backed up on data disk somewhere

shadowgate game over is awesome

maniac mansion

3 razor
5 syd
8 michael
12 tentacle demo
16 (unused)

My point was: nsf's.

#28 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

boner overload

No kidding! Magician was #2 on my list for bucky's poll!

#29 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

Despite all the digging I've done, I completely missed Magician. It is new to me and I find it incredible. Looking forward to any and all updates from Mr. Baldwin!

It's funny, someone told me to check out dutycyclegenerator.com because they knew I'd be interested in the content. I was very surprised to see that he referenced my list and write-up. :)

#30 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

Despite all the digging I've done, I completely missed Magician. It is new to me and I find it incredible. Looking forward to any and all updates from Mr. Baldwin!

It's funny, someone told me to check out dutycyclegenerator.com because they knew I'd be interested in the content. I was very surprised to see that he referenced my list and write-up. :)

Man, Magician's music is deep in a way that very few NES soundtracks are. Most of them provide near-instantaneous gratification: Magician, you really have to listen to, attentively. I don't know of an NES soundtrack that is more rewarding to the patient listener.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users