55 replies to this topic

#31 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, i'm going to be listening to it a bunch. I'm really digging tracks 3 and 9 from James Bond Jr. too...

#32 Ashane

Ashane

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, i'm going to be listening to it a bunch. I'm really digging tracks 3 and 9 from James Bond Jr. too...

James Bond Jr. ftw! such a smooth soundtrack.

that's awesome he has a site.

#33 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'm so glad to see this talk of Magician. Neil Baldwin is one of my favorite NES composers...I had no idea he had a blog! Awesome. Magician was going to be in my top 5 on bucky's poll for sure, I love that soundtrack. Anyway, here are a few other obscure games that were on my list:

Zen Intergalactic Ninja - This whole soundtrack is pretty solid, but I especially like the first three tracks. One of the more underrated Konami soundtracks. Classic Konami flare, but different from any other Konami game.

Zombie Nation - I wouldn't expect anyone to know this one unless, like me, they randomly happened upon it. (Paragon you lie if you say otherwise.) Also known as Abarenbou Tengu. Makes great use of DPCM bass, and has a ton of weird melodies in it. Favorite tracks are 2, 6, 8, and 15. The others are good too, but short.

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge - Another Neil Baldwin soundtrack in my top 5. This soundtrack is short, but the songs are great. It has a nice musical quality to it not found in most NES soundtracks, could easily be translated into something that would have been played on radio stations in the 80s. Best tracks: 1, 5, 7, 8, 9. The last one, 9, has got to be one of my favorite ending themes ever. Coincidentally it's also in James Bond Jr.

Treasure Master - One of the lesser known Follin Bros soundtracks, I think. First song is pretty much a classic. Second song is also amazing, I think this was in one of Bucky's NES Mixtapes? The other tracks aren't as good, but track 4 is nice, and so is track 7.

Kick Master - I was VERY surprised to see this one come up in the poll, it's not very popular, but deserves more love. Technically speaking this soundtrack has more of a minimalist approach, not a whole lot of modulation going on, but it does have some nice DPCM drums. Track 1 is probably one of my favorite NES intro tracks, it's so simple and yet so moving. Other favorite tracks...3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 (holy odd time signatures batman), 16, 18.

That's it for now. I think many of my favorite NES soundtracks have already been covered in here, but I haven't read through the whole thread yet. Edit: Damn, so Norrin pretty much covered what else I would have listed :P I have a few more I'll post later though.

#34 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Others...

Spartan X2 - Not released in the US, this is the sequel to Kung Fu. Thankfully it sounds nothing like that game. This soundtrack is rather, uh...spartan :P But it has some good tracks. The opening theme (track 1) is fun. Let it play into track 2. The next "real" song is track 6, which reminds me very much of Ninja Gaiden. Other good tracks...7, 9 (and 10), 11. Track 11 has some awesome arpeggios going on, I wish it were longer though. Track 13 is good too, the opening sounds like something Spamtron might write :)

Zanac - Man, this is a classic. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it. Being an early NES game (1986), it doesn't have a whole lot going on in the way of technicality. But it has some way catchy songs. Favorites - Track 1 (or 8), track 2, track 11, track 26. They all have the same theme going on.

Mach Rider - Another classic. Ok, so it only has two or three songs, but if you're making an NES compilation, this has to be on it.

Hebereke - Bucky already mentioned this, but I'm listing it again anyway. Sunsoft FTMFW. IMO there isn't really a bad song in this soundtrack. I'll vouch for track 3 and 10, and also add tracks 1 and 9.

Section Z - Not much to say about this game, except that it has one of my favorite NES songs...track 25.

Firehawk - I think Codemasters NES soundtracks are some of the most neglected. This game was made in 1992 and hardly got any attention, hell I had never heard of it. Plus if I remember right, Codemasters games weren't licensed by Nintendo. Track 1 is proof that a good melody over 2 chords can be awesome. Track 2 is solid as well. But that's it...the others are mediocre.

Golgo 13 (Top Secret Episode) - I've still yet to play this game, mostly because I've heard how shitty / hard it is. Track 1 is really the only song I can get into, but man is it good.

Terminator 2 - Another lesser known Follin Bros soundtrack. This soundtrack is amazing. Never played the game but it fits the Terminator theme perfectly. Creepy, ambient, awesome. The best tracks are 1, 3, 4, and 5. The others are filler / game over type songs.

Pictionary - Since we're on the subject of Follin Bros...this is one of my faves from them. In fact, it's what got me into their music. This soundtrack rock my socks. It's so short that every song is great.

Gyruss (FDS) - This is mostly the same as the non-FDS version, but I prefer the FDS version, I feel the extra channel really adds a lot to it. This is another one of those completely unique Konami soundtracks, definitely one of my favorites. Best tracks are 4, 5, and 9. Another short but sweet soundtrack.

Super Dodge Ball - After listening to this game being played for hours on the way to Magfest 4 I really grew to like this soundtrack. Favorite tracks are 3, 6, 9, 15, and 16.

Moon Crystal - Like most NES games, this one has a few impressive songs, and the rest are just "ok". Track 5 is the real reason I'm posting this.

Famicom Wars - Everyone loves Hip Tanaka :) This game is one of the prequels to the Advance Wars series. My favorite tracks are 1, 3, 5, and 6.

Alright that's enough for now haha. Back to work.

#35 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Despite all the digging I've done, I completely missed Magician. It is new to me and I find it incredible. Looking forward to any and all updates from Mr. Baldwin!

It's funny, someone told me to check out dutycyclegenerator.com because they knew I'd be interested in the content. I was very surprised to see that he referenced my list and write-up. :)

Man, Magician's music is deep in a way that very few NES soundtracks are. Most of them provide near-instantaneous gratification: Magician, you really have to listen to, attentively. I don't know of an NES soundtrack that is more rewarding to the patient listener.

I love that soundtrack so much - probably why I've covered three of the tunes from it (so far). :)

#36 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hey Jason, where can I hear those? :)

Sound Expansion + FDS:

yadda yadda yadda, I'll fill this in later.

Akumajou Densetsu / Castlevania III (J) (VRC6 - Konami - 1989)
Tracks 23+1, 3, 9, 11, 12, 14, 17+18, 20, 22, 24, 25

Guess it doesn't really need to be said but A+ soundtrack.

Arumana no Kiseki (FDS - Konami - 1987)
Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6

Falsion (FDS - Konami - 1987)
Tracks 2, 7, 10

Gimmick! (FME-07 - Sunsoft - 1992)
Tracks 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 18, 19

Easily another placeholder in my hypothetical top 10 list. :)

Just Breed (MMC5 - Enix - 1992)
Track 4

Lagrange Point (VRC7 - Konami 1991)
Tracks 3, 4, 15, 24

Madara / Mouryou Senki Madara (VRC6 - Konami - 1990)
Tracks 2, 7, 15, 19, 20, 21

Megami Tensei 2 (N106 - Namco - 1990)
Tracks 1, 4, 6, 11, 21, 33

Metal Slader Glory (MMC5 - HAL - 1991)
Track 8

Zelda no Densetsu / Legend of Zelda (J) - (FDS - Nintendo - 1986)
Track 1

I have a few games I'd like to add to this list...

King of Kings (N106 - Namco - 1988)
Tracks 1 and 3. The other songs are quite good too, but very short.

Erika to Satoru no Yumebouken (N106 - Namco - 1988)
Tracks 2, 6, 10. This has got to be one of the most chill NES soundtracks, haha. The N106 sound is just beautiful.

Utyuu Keibi Tai SDF (MMC5 - HAL Labratory, 1990)
Tracks 1, 2, 5, 9, 12. This game makes little actual use of the extra square waves, but I like it anyway. Also note, this is usually anglicized as "Uchyuu" not "Utyuu".

I'd also like to note that the FDS version of Castlevania II (NSF Title is Dracula II - Noroi no Fuuin) is awesome.

Edit: Google Namco N106 and this thread turns up :)

#37 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Terminator 2 - Another lesser known Follin Bros soundtrack. This soundtrack is amazing. Never played the game but it fits the Terminator theme perfectly. Creepy, ambient, awesome. The best tracks are 1, 3, 4, and 5. The others are filler / game over type songs.

high five dude. i can never find anyone who appreciates this one. the soundtrack blew my mind as a kid and it introduced me to Follin music

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#38 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Guys, I need to find some prog rock type NES music to pitch to my band for cover ideas. I'm talking anything with odd meters and complex rhythms, preferably in a minor key. Any suggestions?

#39 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Only NES track I can think of right now that has an odd time sig is Godzilla's Earth theme.
yBnV8YD.png

#40 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

dracula fight from cv3 might be cool, I cant think of anything good/obscure off the top of my head for NES

have you considered sd snatcher? im doubting its right for your setup but theres some prog in there
http://www.youtube.c...c...2F&index=20
(4:08->)
http://www.youtube.c...Y...2F&index=26
(4:42)&(1:07)
http://www.youtube.c...Q...21&index=41
(9:14)
http://www.youtube.c...8...21&index=38
(2:48)
.\|/.

#41 thebeautyofgrind

thebeautyofgrind

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

dracula fight from cv3 might be cool, I cant think of anything good/obscure off the top of my head for NES

CV3 has a lot of odd timed goodies.

The Beauty of Grind - VG Digi-Grindcore

my stuff on bandcamp

Kirby-kid.giftBoG-kickoff.gif

"sausage biscuit"?? ok i'm outta here (closing menu, leaving)

#42 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

I would LOVE to do SD Snatcher...or CV3 for that matter. I'll have to keep those both in mind. Oh and I really need to play SD Snatcher...I didn't realize there was an English translation!

I'm thinking Super C is currently the best candidate. Stage 4 and Stage 5 are pretty much awesome, and we might be able to throw Stage 2 and one of the boss themes in too. :D Seriously one of my favorite NES games, and also one of my favorite NES soundtracks ever.

#43 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

high five dude. i can never find anyone who appreciates this one. the soundtrack blew my mind as a kid and it introduced me to Follin music

Not only is it a great soundtrack, but it's also not a horrible game for what it is.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#44 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Double Dragon II

all of it

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#45 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Not only is it a great soundtrack, but it's also not a horrible game for what it is.

seriously, i like the game a lot. i noticed the angry game nerd gave it some shit recently, but his attack was pretty weak. it's a solid game with a nice variety of things to do, and the only bullshit part comes from a couple of jumps in the last level

Dillon! Super C gogogogo!!

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users