cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

oh man,
the oka tracks in wario's woods are like the lost snes sim city songs

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#47 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

Gremlins II (Sunsoft)

#48 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

new favorite nsf:
Double Moon Densetsu

worlds gushiest orgasm if u like really sad shit like me

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#49 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

Esper Dream 2 18/37

I can listen this one so much

damnit why haven't I listened to every tune on your list. still?

advantage had it right with their bomberman2 love, I've been playing this on emulation on break at work, it sort of blew the doors open for bomberman music it seems, always loved this tune on super 1

.\|/.

#50 Disposable Hero

Disposable Hero

Dimensional Shambling Troll / True Dew Casual

• Members
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Put some South in yer mouth.

#51 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Dude, I love that soundtrack, so underrated. The game is pretty fun too! (I haven't actually played it in years though, may not be as good as I remember)

A bit repetitive, but that bass line is awesome.

#52 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

James Bond Jr. has such a good soundtrack.

#53 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

I think that applies to all games with music by Neil Baldwin.
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#54 arise_shine

arise_shine

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

I think that applies to all games with music by Neil Baldwin.

Landscape.png
My personal blog.

My MTG blog.
"The sun has left the sky, now you can close your eyes, leave all the world behind until tomorrow." (Latimer/Bardens)

"So shall it be written, so shall it be done, came the warning from the prophet..." (Davis/Davis)

#55 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Judge Dredd, Motherfucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

I don't honestly remember much about this game apart from it being loosely based on the comic/cartoon of the same name.

I continued development of the music drivers, probably one of the key changes being me dropping the use of delta-mod samples. Instead I started using the old C64 trick of synthesizing drums sounds by rapidly stuffing numbers into the noise voice (and the triangle-wave voice).

Another old C64 trick I employed a lot in James Bond Jr (and continued to do so for almost all the other NES projects I worked on) was to simulate echo but just using a single voice. Instead of using two voices, one playing a melody and the second at a lower volume but slightly delayed, the single-voice method used slightly truncated note lengths and in the gaps in between notes, play the same notes shifted later in time, quickly dropping the voice volume (and then restoring it to play the next melody note).

OK, that's not the clearest explanation. Here's an illustration of the technique. I've laid it out in a kind-of "tracker" format for ease of illustration, though this is not how I actually put the music together (more on this in later projects).

A melody with a second voice for the echo might look like;

ChA ... ChB ...

C 4 V10 --- V05
--- --- --- ---
--- --- C 4 ---
--- --- --- ---
D 4 --- --- ---
--- --- --- ---
--- --- D 4 ---
--- --- --- ---
E 4 --- --- ---
--- --- --- ---
--- --- E 4 ---
--- --- --- ---
D 4 --- --- ---
--- --- --- ---
--- --- D 4 ---
--- --- --- ---

Whereas using the single channel trick, you'd do this;

ChA ...

C 4 V10
--- ---
C 4 V05
--- ---
D 4 V10
--- ---
D 4 V05
--- ---
E 4 V10
--- ---
E 4 V05
--- ---
D 4 V10
--- ---
D 4 V05
--- ---

So it gives you a similar effect to the two voice method but with the obvious benefit of not tying up the second voice. The results are very dependent on what you've got going on in the melody - the busier the better, it doesn't really work for long, held notes. It does work great for those trademark arpeggio-chords that me and my fellow euro-composers are so fond of :)

Anyway, the music.

Track 1

Something else that I dabbled with in this track (and a few others in this project) was trying to not only synthesize basic drums like kick, snare and hi-hats but also 808-sounding percussion/toms. It sounds a bit too busy in this particular track but I think it reasonably effective. Actually something that's just struck me about all of the tracks in this project is that they could all do with being slowed down ever-so-slightly, they sound a bit rushed. Problem was, I never had any sort of tempo control when typing/editing the music sequences and so it would've been a tedious job to go through and slightly alter all the note durations!

Track 4

Yet another old C64 trick in this one. Once the simple melody comes in (about 0:30), I filed the gaps in the melody with some short arpeggio chords. Rob Hubbard was the absolute master of this technique on the C64.

Track 6

Perfect example of the single-voice-echo technique from the start of this track.

track 3 was also used in ferrari gp challenge, i think at a little higher tempo. fits much better/slower in that game.

huh1.gif

#56 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

http://alreadyheard....mes-soundtracks

Ugh fuckin blogs. I did a really cool write up of my "5 favorite 8bit games" and included music because duh. They changed the headline to "5 best 8bit game soundtracks" which is
1) fuckin a whole different story, games vs soundtracks
2) best vs favorite is again a whole different story

Plus they did some shitty editing and somehow failed to incorporate a hyperlink and just left it as text. Cossack 3-4 is not fucking Cossack ¾!

Anyways I'm still proud of these write ups and you guys might dig em.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users