245 replies to this topic

#1 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

I was born and raised in AZ. Every time I come back I see the same bands playing the same songs to ignorant kids (all 5 of them) with tight black pants and their arms crossed. And you wonder why most bands skip PHX and play only Tucson? Being a big fish in a disgustingly small pond is no benefit in the grand scheme of things. And plenty of people will post how the scene is improving, etc.. Unfortunately PHX is still LA's redheaded stepchild, and until bands AREN'T pseudonomous with cliques and Stinkweeds employees, or some douche bag DJ in the New Times playing the vast majority of the "underground" shows, there is no scene. Just greased palms.

Instead of shamelessly promoting the same local bands, perhaps we should look at the fundamental problem; there is no "scene," or real culture here.
J.C of Bethlehem... PA
(No relation to the other guy)

#2 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

I was born and raised in AZ. Every time I come back I see the same bands playing the same songs to ignorant kids (all 5 of them) with tight black pants and their arms crossed. And you wonder why most bands skip PHX and play only Tucson? Being a big fish in a disgustingly small pond is no benefit in the grand scheme of things. And plenty of people will post how the scene is improving, etc.. Unfortunately PHX is still LA's redheaded stepchild, and until bands AREN'T pseudonomous with cliques and Stinkweeds employees, or some douche bag DJ in the New Times playing the vast majority of the "underground" shows, there is no scene. Just greased palms.

Instead of shamelessly promoting the same local bands, perhaps we should look at the fundamental problem; there is no "scene," or real culture here.

J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#3 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Unfortunately the Shizz furthers this elitism. Ever try to put your band's or a friend's bands' date on their calendar? If they're not "Shizz approved" they won't be approved for the calendar. Why aren't ALL Phoenix bands supported by the Shizz? Donald? Anyone?
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#4 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

OK. For what it's worth I'm a music writer. A microcosm of the Phoenix music scene; I went to a show the other night and I overheard a few members of the band talking shit about the person who's song they were covering (THAT NIGHT!). I was appalled. OK I'll mention names. Shane Kennedy. In Matthew Reveles' band. Covering Jeff Gonzales' song Midday Epilogue (a young lady told me they play it in every set). I don't live here (and even if I did) I'm not afraid of repercussions from big fish in small ponds. Have some goddamn respect will you?

That sums up the scene; cliques, and general disrespect. LA sucks too but at least there seems to be (I write about it) a general respect and comaraderie amongst the bands. Achieve that (without elitism) and there just might be a thriving music scene out here.

But the way, my name is Herb Ferguson, herbieferbie@yahoo.com
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#5 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

OK. For what it's worth I'm a music writer. A microcosm of the Phoenix music scene; I went to a show the other night and I overheard a few members of the band talking shit about the person who's song they were covering (THAT NIGHT!). I was appalled. OK I'll mention names. Shane Kennedy. In Matthew Reveles' band. Covering Jeff Gonzales' song Midday Epilogue (a young lady told me they play it in every set). I don't live here (and even if I did) I'm not afraid of repercussions from big fish in small ponds. Have some goddamn respect will you?

That sums up the scene; cliques, and general disrespect. LA sucks too but at least there's a general respect and comaraderie amongst the bands. Achieve that (without elitism) and there just might be a thriving music scene out here.

Maybe you should know what your talking about about before you open your mouth, because, once I do, you're gonna feel an asshole.
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#6 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

That sums up the scene; cliques, and general disrespect. LA sucks too but at least there's a general respect and comaraderie amongst the bands. Achieve that (without elitism) and there just might be a thriving music scene out here.

Maybe you should know what your talking about about before you open your mouth, because, once I do, you're gonna feel an asshole.

Really? Tell me what I should know!
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#7 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

I'M gonna feel like an asshole? Is that really what you're worried about? ME looking like an asshole? I was there, and heard YOU specifically.
The least you could do is admit it. It's well known you're a gossip queen. People like you are the reason I'm glad I don't live there anymore, and my apologies for not stroking your ego.
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#8 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Not everything is meant for a message board....

and thanks for contributing to a situation that was already bad enough.

Maybe you should mind your own business, as basically, you are gossiping.

a) I just play drums, I don't get to pick the tunes.
B) we don't play it every set.
c) ever known any musicians that weren't your favorite people, but managed to write a decent song (or many decent songs)???
d) another lame part about a scene is when you DO have to pretend to like everyone & their bands...it's tiring...
e) Herb? Who the fuck is Herb?

and I IM'd you my number. Use it, ya goofball...I'm guessing we'll end up agreeing on a few things & finding we have more in common than not.

Eavesdropper...

and I get the sneaking suspicion that you are Jeff Gonzales.
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#9 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Gossiping? YOU are talking about gossiping?
Is it SO incomprehensable that someone else doesn't care for your bullshit? I can assure you I'm not Jeff, just someone who sees things for what they are. Don't you want a nice write up?

write me at herbieferbie@yahoo.com if you wanna talk
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#10 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Is it so inconceivable that someone who's lived in your town and heard your bullshit for so long doesn't want to support it?
Poor thing. Are you gonna get your Shizz friends to delete my posts?
Honestly, Jeff is a friend, but he's busy with a kid. This is about me and you. And you are part of the problem with the music scene.
Again
herbieferbie@yahoo.com
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#11 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Gossiping? YOU are talking about gossiping?
Is it SO incomprehensable that someone else doesn't care for your bullshit? I can assure you I'm not Jeff, just someone who sees things for what they are. Don't you want a nice write up?

write me at herbieferbie@yahoo.com if you wanna talk

I don't care about a nice write up, no...

Jeff & Matt's issues are really not for public viewing, I'm sorry that we were overheard discussing it, but I'm not sure how you can point fingers at this point.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#12 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

the post was about pushing phoenicians to support local music and improve the local music scene. my comment was simply what i experienced ONE night.

oh... and the write-up?
a joke.

So be part of the solution. Treat other bands with respect. Is that too much to ask?
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#13 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

and yes, Jeff, me & my Shizz friends ( :lol: ) know this is you....as it seems to coincide with MySpace posts that you are putting up.

Sorry, folks...

Additionally, I find the downtown scene to be great & really supportive.....they are some great new bands & the ones that have been around for a few years are doing some of their best work....There are some great festivals coming up, and yes, the Shizz is putting one on. I've found the Shizz crowd to be quite the opposite of elitist, although we all are in our own way. Most, but by no means all, of the so-called "Shizz" bands (I hate to break it to you, but there are no 'official' Shizz bands) tend to rock out, and the Shizz hasn't, usually, been that into the mellowish-country thing...But their are wonderful exceptions to that....Rum Tenor, Nowhere Man & a Whiskey Girl, Lonna Kelley..and I had a lovely talk a few months ago with Donald about doing a Shizz Roots/Americana fest.....and as far as you thinking that I have any pull on the Shizz, sorry Charlie...the folks on the Shizz have, more than once, had to kick me on the ass.

The Shizz isn't some big scene that controls the Phoenix music scene...it's a lil homespun website of some neighbors, some friends, some musicians, some visual artists...every so often they put on a nice show, or festival, with some of those folks.

Certainly the way to get involved with these people is not to write accusatory & negative posts on a site that is frequented by a bunch of folks who are just trying to be cool & do their part. I have made that mistake before & I was set straight.

Also, posting anonymously doesn't work too well, as their are some hardcore technerds on here who are pretty slick about tracing IP addresses...

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#14 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

and yes, Jeff, me & my Shizz friends ( :lol: ) know this you....as it seems to coincide with MySpace posts that you are putting up.

Sorry, folks...

Is it all a conspiracy theory? Perpetrated by Jeff (who cares less than I do most likely) Is that what makes you feel better? Rather than accountability? I'm willing to give you my social security number if you don't belive me. I am a real person.
Sleep well.
Distract and attack. Distract and attack. Is that all you have?
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

#15 JC of Bethlehem

JC of Bethlehem

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

and yes, Jeff, me & my Shizz friends ( :lol: ) know this you....as it seems to coincide with MySpace posts that you are putting up.

Sorry, folks...

Is it all a conspiracy theory? Perpetrated by Jeff (who cares less than I do most likely) Is that what makes you feel better? Rather than accountability? I'm willing to give you my social security number if you don't belive me. I am a real person.
Sleep well.
Distract and attack. Distract and attack. Is that all you have?

I was simply making a point about the Phoenix music scene. If you don't like it, do something about it to make it better.
J.C of Bethlehem... PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users