Chibi_Ma

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:14 AM

Just curious, who's playing?
I was able to play it on my friends just to try it out and
I'm definitely getting it. even though it's hard as all hell.

#2 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

Probably should have checked out the PS3 thread floating around in here. This forum isn't overly PS3 at the moment, so most anything PS3 related will probably be addressed there if anywhere.

However, for the sake of this thread. Rize is the only guy on the forum I know who is into it right now. He's been confidently been supporting the game in the PS3 thread.

It wasn't until last night, watching a quick look at the game play over at the Giant Bomb website, that I finally understood what the game was all about, and why it is probably kick ass.

I went to rent it tonight, and my main go to game store didn't have it. I was a little shocked :(
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#3 Fithos

Fithos

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

Looks amazing, and everyone I know says so. I wish I could afford it.

#4 Chibi_Ma

Chibi_Ma

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

whoops fail!

/thread

#5 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

I want it by the end of the year, the game looks fun, the camera reminds me of what Oblivion's third-person view should've looked like, and did I mention the game looks like fun?

#6 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

I've played precious little of this game so far because of various obligations. I got a little more time in last night for a total of 2 to 3 hours, but I was so sleepy I got killed for the first time... this game is definitely all about immersion. The things that are really great about the game is the level design, the enemy design and the combat design.

Here's some details of the combat while using a sword and shield. First you hit R3 to lock to an enemy (or try to aim manually if you want). Keep in mind any physical action depletes your stamina (which refills quickly and automatically once yous top acting):

-Press R1 to attack
-Press R2 to make a stronger but slower attack
-Press L1 to block (is not effective if you have no stamina left)
-Press L2 to parry with your shield (opening the enemy for a counter-attack if you time it right, opening yourself up for a counter if you time it wrong)
-Hold O to run, attack while running
-Press O to roll, attack while rolling
-Press Triangle use your weapon two handed which is more powerful, but a sword isn't as effective at blocking as a shield (and I think you can't parry)
-Press Square to use whatever item is in hand (healing item, or attack items like throwing knives)
-(supposedly) equip a secondary weapon in place of a shield. I haven't tried this yet
-(supposedly) equip a wand in your shield hand to cast spells

Some weapons have special properties such as the spear. You can attack while blocking (and with nice range) making this a nice and safe weapon, although your mobility is limited while doing this and your stamina is going to run out much quicker. It feels very.. Spartan.

Bows and Crossbows are also available although I haven't used one yet. There's a variety of swords also and each has its own strengths. Some are good at battering through armor, some cause more harm to unarmored foes (better at slicing). Some are considered piercing weapons which are good against some kinds of armor (rapiers and spears). Etc. I'm sure I've only scratched the surface here.

#7 JoeMusashi

JoeMusashi

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

I'm very close to buying a PS3 I think, and this is going to be one of the first games I get. I would really like to play it.
mercatfat: no, man
circumcision has WAY better aerodynamics

mercatfat: it's like, you're driving an Element
and I'm in an Audi TT

#8 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I really like the way you can see where other people died, and where you died as well. It really gives a weird sense of achieving something if you get further than someone else. Or, at least it seems that way, still have yet to play it.

One thing I was stand offish about initially, was the weighty controls. But the more I see off the game, the more appropriate it seems to me. It would appear that the game takes a large amount of correct timing and reflexes to excel at. It is pretty much the opposite of a button masher. I am definitely intrigued.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#9 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

I really like the way you can see where other people died, and where you died as well. It really gives a weird sense of achieving something if you get further than someone else. Or, at least it seems that way, still have yet to play it.

Or how if you see dead friends laying on the ground, they could serve as warnings that a boss or large horde of enemies is near, kinda like poles with skull heads on them. :)

#10 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yes, correct timing is very important if you want to win even small fights without taking damage. And *that* is important if you want to have any health and recovery items left for the big fights and unfamiliar enemies.

Think I'm going to watch the first quarter or so of the game tonight and then get my Demon's Souls on!

#11 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

Ok, so I managed to rent a copy today, and I've all ready plugged at least 4 hours into it. Something very clever going on here. Not exactly sure how they pulled it off, but this game is almost impossible to put down.

The combat is almost entirely skill driven, reminding me of Ninja Gaiden for Xbox, in that you have to calculate your actions based on the situation. Since the enemies change what they do every time you burn through an area, you can't always rely on one tactic.

Then there is the parry system, which I love in games. Similar to Assassin's Creed, only there is only one parry, and if you miss... Holy fuck you miss. I still don't really have the balls to pull a parry off during tough fights, but it's a really rad way to blast through slightly less troublesome enemies.

The soul currency system is really rad, and in a way, is almost a throw back to the old Sonic the Hedgehog ways. Going back to retrieve your own collected souls is somewhat of a bizarre event. I got killed in front of a very tough enemy. That insane spear knight at the top of the first castle. And had to keep going back to get my collection of souls. Every time I got to my souls, I would get wasted by this guy, then have to start again. My healing herbs were running out with each attempt, and it was getting pretty dire. Fortunately, every attempt I made continued to add the souls I gained getting back to my souls, to my soul pile when I would get killed again. After about four attempts, I gave up on fighting the guy, and just got my souls and ran away. Of course he followed me and eventually killed me, meaning I would have to go through it all again, but at least this time, my soul collection was so far away from where that guy starts, that I could grab it without ever having to fight him. When all was said and done, I'd netted over 4000 souls, and it was time to buy myself some decent armour finally. It was actually a very rewarding experience. Then again, if I had died on my way to my soul pile, I probably would have had a brain embolism.

It's cool how they give you D&D like stats like strength and dexterity, and you can use souls to permanently increase them. Certain weapons require certain stat levels, so you can mold your character into the guy he needs to be to use that weapon. You end up getting advanced weapons before you are able to use them, but it gives you a guideline for what you should be putting your souls towards.

All items collected are with you forever, whether or not you die. The only thing that can be taken from you is souls. This means, if you suddenly have a lot of souls, you are probably in your right mind to spend them on something to beef up your guy. There is almost no sense in keeping them stock piling, unless you have a goal you need to achieve, like an amount to buy something. It's like, there is pressure to return to the nexus and spend your souls on something you need. You don't want to lose those souls. But once you buy the item you need, it's a wicked feeling of safety, knowing that item is with you forever now.

This causes me to think more about making my guy better, and less about grinding. In a weird way, it's like reverse grinding. You do not level up in the game based on enemy encounters. You use souls to level yourself up, and since souls can be taken away, it gives you a reason to want to spend them. It really is an interesting change from the norm.

Then, there are the notes and blood stain replays. This are actually a huge part of the game play. I find myself reading every single note left, because they often contain clues on how to advance. Like these certain enemies that can only be attacked from behind. REad the clue first, so I knew exactly what to do. There are also lots of advance notices about traps and ambushes that really prepare you. Sometimes knowing a battle is coming up will give you a chance to repair yourself before hand. There are even some note that tell you where you are standing is safe, as a dragon breathes fire all around you. You better believe I recommended that note.

So why bother leaving notes and recommendations? Every time you recommend someones note, they get health back, and vice versa. This has actually saved my life in the game, and I find myself leaving notes whenever I can.

Rize, did you fight the
Spoiler
yet? Took me a while to figure out what the hell to do. :lol:
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#12 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Yep, I fought the...
Spoiler

Glad you're enjoying the game. I love stumbling upon a game like this. So many times you have to watch a game's development for years and years... and then something like this you hadn't really heard anything about or paid any attention to just pops up and blows away all the repetitive sequels you were waiting for just on sheer originality.

#13 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Still can't find it anywhere :(
I think they didn't ship enough copies to Canada or something.
The ARC Legacy demo is coming soon!
http://abstract-productions.net/

#14 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

amazon.com?

#15 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

Amazon.ca has been sold out since the start of the week. And best buy didn't even have a slot for the game. I think I might just hang on to the rented copy for a couple extra days and just keep playing it. I do very much want to buy the game though.

Spoiler

I didn't know that about the red eyes. I will stop trying to fight that guy then. He kills me with one hit :lol: . But there is that one loot orb behind him..... If I could some how lure him out, then go snatch it, that would be wicked. maybe next time I don't have a lot of souls.

I am interested in joining someone elses game. I can really see the appeal of joining in to help them with enemies you are familiar with, like bosses. It's also appealling to get out of soul form, and have a full health bar. When I was fully back to health after the first boss, I ended up getting killed by some piddly little grunt enemy. It was heart breaking. Back to soul form I go haha.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users