693 replies to this topic

#16 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

In regular form, your attacks are weaker though! A problem with soul form though, is that the world tendency gets darker any time you die in soul form (meaning the enemies actually get MORE difficult when you die). I'm not sure what you can do to increase the world tendency toward white.

I bet you could lure that red eyed knight away... you can probably get him to where a certain flying creature is and maybe fry him. If not, walk back to the beginning of the level and take the side route if necessary :) Oh wait... it's possible that he returns to guard the tower if you run away. hmmm

He kills you in one hit even if you're blocking with a shield? Might as well fight with no shield and do more damage then! Can't wait to get back home...

EDIT

Just realized I have this backwards. If you die in a real body the world tendency goes darker. If you die as a spirit, you just leave those souls behind. I think.

#17 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Researched a bit online - it seems I'm not the only one having trouble finding the game. It's a North America-wide problem. And they aren't even selling it anywhere in Quebec because there's no french version. Sucks to be them.

Anyway, apparently Atlus are total pussies when it comes to game launches. I hope they realize how well the game is doing and release a giant batch of 'em soon.
The ARC Legacy demo is coming soon!
http://abstract-productions.net/

#18 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

In regular form, your attacks are weaker though! A problem with soul form though, is that the world tendency gets darker any time you die in soul form (meaning the enemies actually get MORE difficult when you die). I'm not sure what you can do to increase the world tendency toward white.

I bet you could lure that red eyed knight away... you can probably get him to where a certain flying creature is and maybe fry him. If not, walk back to the beginning of the level and take the side route if necessary :) Oh wait... it's possible that he returns to guard the tower if you run away. hmmm

He kills you in one hit even if you're blocking with a shield? Might as well fight with no shield and do more damage then! Can't wait to get back home...

EDIT

Just realized I have this backwards. If you die in a real body the world tendency goes darker. If you die as a spirit, you just leave those souls behind. I think.

Yeah, that makes more sense. That way when you beat a boss, and go back to living, you are bound to die again, making the game get a little harder.

I am interested in this world tendency thing. It seems like it would be a cool way to get some rarer item drops from enemies if you are trying to super power yourself. Appearantly completing missions as a helper phantom will lower the tendency back to white.

Mark: Whoa, super lame..... I went to EB Games and they said that they have sold out twice :( I still have my rented copy, so I am ok for now, but yeah, I want to pick this game up soon. Seems like now is the best era to play it as well, due to the number of people still playing and leaving messages.
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#19 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Part of me wonders if the game wouldn't be better without the online component. I mean, I feel like I'm playing all the bosses with a strategy guide open. I could always skip the messages of course. I haven't managed to work with any blue phantoms yet.

xmark: Amazon.com has it listed as In Stock right now, but in any case, I'm sure Atlus will make more big batches for as long as people want to buy it. They probably didn't expect the review scores to be so good.

#20 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

God damn I got steam rolled. I bought the deluxe addition because it was all they had. Fortunately it came with a 160 page strategy guide. Which is one of the best bathroom reads I've ever seen. But yeah, I am embarassed to say how much it cost me after tax. Mostly because I don't have a job right now and should definitely not be spending lots of money on silly things. But man, this game definitely gave me the "I'm gunna play this game to completion" vibes. And that's a very special thing for me these days.

Edit:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn. I used the blue stone to join some games tonight. I placed it right infront of the main spawn for 2-1. Every game I joined though, those dudes were BUFF. Really let me know where my guy stands. He is a weakling! Those super slow miner guys take like 2 full combos to put down, and that laughing guy with the fireballs can kill me in one hit if I am running away.

I will tell you this though. Seeing the Host, totally alive, and not a soul. I feel a strange sense of duty to protect him. After all, the game ends if he dies, and I get to keep all my souls I score in the process, even if I die. So it's like he is the leader, and I will die to protect him. Quite a cool feeling. Especially when you have a couple of phantoms helping you protect him. There were some really cool dynamics when we had a bruiser knight rushing the front lines, and our host launching magic spells at guys from a safe distance, and me just kind of picking up some scraps, and using some bolts to help put dents in baddies from mid distance. I can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Rize, any advice for what I should do about my weakness? I can make it to the Tower Knight, but I got smoked the first time I fought him. So I am wondering is there somewhere I should get to first? But 2-1 seems maybe too hard for my guy right now too. Shouul I just power level for a bit? Plus, where are all the wicked magical weapons at!? :'(

Oh, and also, about the Red Knight at the top of 1-1. I found out you can get him to chase you. So you lure him all the way to the big stair case on the opposite end of that rooftop, and get him to run diagonal towards you near those two barrels at the top. The poor bastard just dives right off the edge and kills himself. Netting you 2000 souls, and at least a White Herb thing, which is full health no matter how much HP you have. Really easy way to level up quickly, at least at the very beginning.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#21 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

God damn I got steam rolled. I bought the deluxe addition because it was all they had. Fortunately it came with a 160 page strategy guide. Which is one of the best bathroom reads I've ever seen. But yeah, I am embarassed to say how much it cost me after tax. Mostly because I don't have a job right now and should definitely not be spending lots of money on silly things. But man, this game definitely gave me the "I'm gunna play this game to completion" vibes. And that's a very special thing for me these days.

I see Amazon has a "deluxe edition" but it seems to come with the pre-order bonus (art book and CD) rather than a strategy guide. Well, hopefully you didn't have to pay too much extra, but you'd waste a ton if you kept renting waiting for a good deal anyway so guess you had little choice!

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn. I used the blue stone to join some games tonight. I placed it right infront of the main spawn for 2-1. Every game I joined though, those dudes were BUFF. Really let me know where my guy stands. He is a weakling! Those super slow miner guys take like 2 full combos to put down, and that laughing guy with the fireballs can kill me in one hit if I am running away.

I will tell you this though. Seeing the Host, totally alive, and not a soul. I feel a strange sense of duty to protect him. After all, the game ends if he dies, and I get to keep all my souls I score in the process, even if I die. So it's like he is the leader, and I will die to protect him. Quite a cool feeling. Especially when you have a couple of phantoms helping you protect him. There were some really cool dynamics when we had a bruiser knight rushing the front lines, and our host launching magic spells at guys from a safe distance, and me just kind of picking up some scraps, and using some bolts to help put dents in baddies from mid distance. I can't wait to play again tomorrow.

I have yet to help anyone. I tried before the Tower Knight, but no one summoned me. Maybe my level was too low (or too high, you need to be within 10 soul levels of the other player). I got some help in front of the 2-2 boss... it took a while because other players apparently kept getting to the blue runes first. On the 6th or 7th try I finally got someone and we went and murdered the boss. It was the first time I tried to fight the boss and I definitely would have gotten schooled without help. If I had been in soul form, I probably would have helped someone else as a way to preview the boss (and to experience being a blue phantom).

Rize, any advice for what I should do about my weakness? I can make it to the Tower Knight, but I got smoked the first time I fought him. So I am wondering is there somewhere I should get to first? But 2-1 seems maybe too hard for my guy right now too. Shouul I just power level for a bit? Plus, where are all the wicked magical weapons at!? :'(

Oh, and also, about the Red Knight at the top of 1-1. I found out you can get him to chase you. So you lure him all the way to the big stair case on the opposite end of that rooftop, and get him to run diagonal towards you near those two barrels at the top. The poor bastard just dives right off the edge and kills himself. Netting you 2000 souls, and at least a White Herb thing, which is full health no matter how much HP you have. Really easy way to level up quickly, at least at the very beginning.

Spoiler

#22 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Wow! Thanks for the advice Rize! I picked a Barbarian, which unfortunately start with no armour at all. I ended up buying all the armour I could from that Dredgling Trader in 1-2, but if I equip it all, I lose my ability to fast roll, which i love. I noticed the other plays I played with had decent looking armour and were still moving pretty quickly, I was jealous.

I might just have to stop buy 3-1 and see if I can find the goods, cause right now I think I am just taking too much damage.

So, you've completed a level in human form? Man, that takes some balls! I don't think I'm quite there yet haha.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#23 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Wow! Thanks for the advice Rize! I picked a Barbarian, which unfortunately start with no armour at all. I ended up buying all the armour I could from that Dredgling Trader in 1-2, but if I equip it all, I lose my ability to fast roll, which i love. I noticed the other plays I played with had decent looking armour and were still moving pretty quickly, I was jealous.

I might just have to stop buy 3-1 and see if I can find the goods, cause right now I think I am just taking too much damage.

So, you've completed a level in human form? Man, that takes some balls! I don't think I'm quite there yet haha.

Alas, if I had really had balls I would have faced the boss alone instead of with a blue phantom to help ... and I wouldn't have ran back to town like a little girl and spent all my souls first :lol:

You know, the only differences in starting classes are stat points and equipment. Unless you know for sure you're going to make a pure warrior or spell user (probably not recommended on first play through), then it really doesn't matter which class you start with in the long run. But I'm sure the game is much easier early on with a nice suit of armor. Definitely get into 3-1 and find that fluted armor and pump your endurance up to 14-16 so you can wear it. And then get into 2-1 and find some ores so you can start buffing up your favorite weapon.

Ah, talking about Demon's Souls is almost as fun as playing it... leaving work in 1.5 hours

#24 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

Ah, talking about Demon's Souls is almost as fun as playing it... leaving work in 1.5 hours

Haha, I know what you mean. This is one of the best games that has come out in years. The amount of things you can do and ways to play are simply unmatched for a game of this type. The whole online Phantom aspect really REALLY keeps it stupidly fresh too. And yet, as difficult and unforgiving as this game can be, it is still incredibly accessible. Boy am I glad you decided to make a fuss about it on here a week ago. Otherwise I might not have researched the game in more detail. Game of the year man.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#25 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

You guys are making me jealous :angry:

Freakin' Atlus

#26 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Just remembered... a quick word of warning: watch out for holes in level 3-1. It's dark and hard to see at times. That's the only time dying has felt cheap in this game (and there's hardly any holes... which is why it's so easy to forget to be careful and fall in).

Haha, I know what you mean. This is one of the best games that has come out in years. The amount of things you can do and ways to play are simply unmatched for a game of this type. The whole online Phantom aspect really REALLY keeps it stupidly fresh too. And yet, as difficult and unforgiving as this game can be, it is still incredibly accessible. Boy am I glad you decided to make a fuss about it on here a week ago. Otherwise I might not have researched the game in more detail. Game of the year man.

Yeah, I've totally lost interest in all other releases. What's the rush... they're not going anywhere :) Well... except I hate to miss the launch of Borderlands (assuming it's good). It can wait a few weeks though.

#27 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

Modern Warfare 2 will probably take some of this games thunder away from me, but I will definitely be playing this game for years, I can tell.

So I beat the boss of 2-1. I played it all the way to the boss in soul form, and joined some people's game until I ended up beating the boss, which was an absolutely thrilling experience. To actually help beat the boss for a player in human form. There were three of us, and the one guy got smoked INSTANTLY. So it was just myself and the human duking it out with the thing. I didn't realize how useful my shield would be for most of the bosses attacks, so I took a TON of damage, and just barely stayed alive to see it finished.

Afterwards, you can rate the other player's performance, and determine how many extra souls they get from the boss. The rating you give them stays with them perminantly, and any time a human goes to invite a player, they can see what scores the user has been givin in the past. Great way to see if the person is shitty or not.

So now that I was in human form, I decided I could try and take on the 2-1 boss myself. So I played all the way to the boss entrance, which was heart poundingly close. When I got there, I found a player I could summon, and him and I went head on into the boss chamber. This time I knew what to do, and so did he, so we absolutely dismantled the boss. S rankings all around.

The truly unnerving thing about playing as a human though is the potential Black Phantom encounters. I am not sure, but I think there was one in my game, but he wasn't trying to attack me. And he had a red aura for some reason. I found him on the pathway to the boss of 1-2, which is odd because he was not part of the usual bunch of enemies you see around there. In any case, the pressure is on when you are in human form. I think I might suicide just to get back to soul form. It's less stressfull haha.

Mark, you need to hit this game up pronto!
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#28 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

I've been trying to hit this game up for the past week with no success. This is just retarded - I'm sure they'll lose a bunch of sales to upcoming games because they didn't release enough at the start to grab the initial wave of interest.

#29 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

you steal demon's souls... and make them your slaves!

#30 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

Die Monster!

Mark, if you wanted I could see if they still have a deluxe addition at the place by my house? There were about 5 when I bought mine. I would actually really recommend the deluxe addition for the game guide it comes with. It's not really a guide through the game, though it does include a walk through of all the levels. It's more of an guide on how the game works. This is one of the deepest and most complex games of this nature I've ever played, and to fully understand all the things you are able to do in this game, it really helps to read up on how the game works. Typically this level of complexity can be off putting, but the way this game is designed is extremely streamlined. it's not particularily hard to do any of the things you can do. You just need to rack up some souls, and the rest is gravy. Upgrading weapons is my new hobby :). Rize, you were right; 2-1 is LOADED with ores.

This is a pretty comprehensive internet version, which includes almost all the info you need: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Also, this is a pretty epic vid of a guy forcing his way into someone elses world, and killing both blue phantom players, then the real player.

Matt Creamer on Facebook

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users