693 replies to this topic

#31 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Another word of warning: if you kill an NPC they are dead for good. You can actually kill all the blacksmiths and then you won't be able to upgrade anything. Also note the location of any new vendors or smiths you find as they have different items and skills.

Re: Black Phantoms: they are called black, but they have a read aura. Other note... sometimes they are computer controlled NPCs (single player mode), sometimes they are players that intentionally invaded...

Note 3: this game fucking rocks! Watching football today though, so my good TV is in use all day :( at least the Saints are killing the Giants

#32 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

I've read that about the NPS's, killing them that is. I accidentally took a swipe at stockpile thomas the first time I talked to him. Fortunately I didn't ruin that relationship :lol:

I spent a lot of last night just running through 2-1 over and over getting some ores. Every time I got to the end I blue stoned and helped some guy take down the boss. My bow has been upgraded pretty heavily, so I am basically taking the boss down single handedly while the host is getting his ass kicked. It's a great feeling to finally be the bad ass in the group.
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#33 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Fuck, man, this game sounds badass. The preview I read in GI made it sound wicked, and the PA snippets added to my curiosity... but damn I wish I had a PS3 because I'd love to rock it.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#34 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

I wish you did too :(.

I can't believe how in depth the weapons upgrades are in this game!

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

The upgrade tree for each weapon actually reminds me of the promotion systems from Langrisser or Shining Force. If you keep beefing up the main stat for a sword using sharpstones (commonly found), then once you've upgraded it to +5, you get the option to upgrade it to a "quality" sword (Using clearstones, rarely found), which makes your dexterity stat increase the damage you do, or you can keep levelling up with sharpstones. The cool thing is, is that depending on what stones you have found, you can upgrade your weapon to many different things at this point, adding all sorts of different bonuses.

The E/E/C/- part refers to strength/dexterity/intelligence/not sure. So even though the actual attack power may be lower, if you've dumped a TON of stats into your dexterity, it will actually make your weapon vastly superior. E is mild and S is maximum.

This is seriously too much haha. This game is crazy.

EDIT: Oh man! I just found out if you take Red Hot Demon's Soul (Boss of 2-2) to the blacksmith in 2-1, he will start upgrading your weapons to wicked stuff using the souls of previous bosses you've killed. I can't wait to check some of those weapons out! I want the Lava Bow.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#35 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Goddamnit, I knew this was going to be awesome... Atlus has never failed me! It's seriously exciting just reading about it... I need to make more money and get in on this shit :P.

#36 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

To add some motivation, I will say that I finally have a game I can compare Demon's Souls to. I would say it is the modern equivelent to Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and I am not joking.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#37 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hmm... I think that's a difficult comparison to make... but one thing they both share is awesomeness!

The weapon upgrade system is crazy awesome. I was using a spear, upgraded it to +5 then to quality. Then I found a dragon sword which wasn't useful until I found a blacksmith that could upgrade it using dragonstone shards. Now I've got a +3 dragon sword that is at least 33% better than my quality spear. A shame because I really like using a spear more than a sword... then again, some variety is nice.

But yes, awesome weapon upgrade system.

EDIT

btw, 3-2 = :angry: :angry: they were good about allowing you to open up shortcuts in 1-1 and 2-1, but the second sections of each level have been a lot meaner. 1-2 is kinda short, 2-2 is pretty mean but not as hard. 3-2 is just tedious in that there are some hard spots preceded by relatively easy parts that I've found myself running through several times. I just wish they had continued to provide unlockable shortcuts of some kind. still an awesome game.

#38 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

While it seems like that's a tall order to fill, I think I can almost wrap my head around the idea! I can only imagine how truly awesome it must be to get that sort of reaction, anything that can provide that sense of gaming wonder is definitely gold. What I'm reading from you guys about the multiplayer seems totally unique, like you're still playing a single player game but can have the experience of multiplayer still. Plus it seems totally immersive that way and less mmo-ish.

Unrelated, first post from my iPhone! :P

#39 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

The multiplayer is a *little* like Diablo 2 was. You can play an offline mode, but various kinds of co-op and competitive multiplayer is possible. The structure is unique though. Even in Diablo online though, you could always just make a private game and only use the online for trading.

Speaking of that, it's actually possible to "trade" in this game, although without communication it's difficult. You would have to drop stuff on the ground and hope they other guy gives you something back. Gifts are far easier.

#40 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

You can still send eachother messages over PSN. One guy was doing that with me before the 2-1 boss, asking me if I knew how to fight him haha.

As for the SotN comparison. Here me out.

Both games are essentially RPG's without the world map or towns. Both games require you to go through a determined set of levels and settings, most of which require you to backtrack through again and again. At later levels, shortcuts are revealed, and new areas of old levels are unlocked.

Both games have a stupidly large amount of weapons, which greatly vary in style and use. Not to mention the addition of shields as well. Though SotN had more different types of weapons, DS has a good number of weapon types, as well as the insanely elaborate upgrade system.

Just imagine if SotN was recreated in a 3rd person next gen game. The result would have to be pretty similar at least. Small details aside, they are nearly an identical sub genre.
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#41 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

I see what you mean, except there's a fundamental difference in style that makes it a hard comparison for me to swallow, but perhaps that's a necessary part of the game being 3D.

Hmm... I think more research is required, ttyl :D

#42 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Holy crap, 2-2 is a lot harder than 2-1. Since when were those miners so tough!? Haha.

Just talked to Patches in 2-2, and now I have a steady flow of Heavy arrows. Now I'm gunna unleash the hard rain!

Also, just fought my first NPC Black Phantoms in 2-2. I was quite pleased with their AI. They were rolling and faking me out all over the place. But I managed to back stab them both. So now I have the Black Eye Stone. I think I may try my hand at being an interloper!
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#43 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Those miners are so tough since their eyes started glowing yellow! I have yet to invade another player. I may never do it... I have an aversion to competitive multi-player these days. Then again... could be fun.

I would be playing right now, but my 50" Panasonic Viera is occupied by football. We move it from my game room (it's my TV) to the front for football. I tried to play on my old 24" Computer monitor for the first time since I got the plasma, and it looked so terrible I couldn't even play it. It was literally too dark to see, but any attempt to alter the brightness and contrast resulted in a hideous white cast over the whole image (typical LCD black level problem... only this is the cheapest LCD in the universe).

#44 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hahaha, dude, I think we are going through the same thing, playing this game. During the day and evening hours, my GF is home, and the HD tv we have is usually where we watch TV or movies. So I don't really play games until she goes to bed. But lately, i was thinking of moving the PS3 into my computer room, and hooking it up to my old RCA Toshiba 28 inch (give or take). That way I could play while the shows I don't really care for are on.

I didn't, and I probably wont, now that you mention the quality and the darkness. But the point is, I wanted to. :lol:
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#45 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

That explains why we're keeping a similar same pace. If I lived alone, I probably would be on my second play through by now!

Your LCD might look fine in any case. It just depends on if it's any good I guess. I ended up getting the cheapest 24" monitor in existence a few years ago (A Westinghouse from Sam's Club) as a Christmas gift from my parents. It's no surprise that it's black level is utter shite! It's at least playable for anything that is not dark. All the same, I moved the plasma back to its proper place last night and got an hour in before crashing and it looks sooooo much better. I had gotten spoiled and didn't realize how good that plasma actually looks. I'm burning in a nice little white circle where the damn soul counter is... but it's worth it!

I finally made permanent progress in 3-2 last night completing an objective that allows a short-cut (essentially). What's the first thing I run into? A nearly impossible to kill enemy! The first one was bad, but the location was at least favorable. I'm really not sure how I'm going to kill this thing. I'm going to be thinking about it all day.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users