718 replies to this topic

#691 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

The only thing that frustrates me going back to demons souls is the crystal lizards not respawning
Well, having a weird set of rules for when they can spawn. It's a pain in the ass. Try to never let them escape

It's kind of better that way.

The thrill/ rush of trying to get a Crystal Lizard is completely lost in later titles once you learn you can just quit/ reload next to their spawn location if you mess it up. At the same time, missing critical upgrade materials in Demon's Souls can be a major loss and very frustrating. That aspect should've been lightened up by making all of them farmable elsewhere.

In other words, I'd rather Crystal Lizards have weird limited spawning rules like DeS, but just don't make it suck SO bad if you miss what they have. :P

#692 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:08 AM

I also prefer where you get their drops automatically instead of having to loot the corpse. Damned suicidal lizards

Dj5ZiPN.png

#693 Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

That is a MAJOR minus to the game, but it's not outside of "par for the course" in this game's style and difficulty. and difficulty style?...?
O.N.H.C. Put it on t-shirts, wear it, live it, love it.
Only Noobz Hit Civillians
facebook: Savage Worlds Ultra Multiverse(Especially for "JumpChain CYOA" Fans.)
discord: https://discord.gg/F958rUM
That one topic with the songs and stuff
Not my site, 'cuz I don't have one, but awesome nonetheless. Fightersgeneration.com
SoundCloud: Chris Martin 424(Electronic music, Dance Music, Classical, Rock, Chiptune, straight VGM, RetroWave, Synth, Funk, Lite, Mostly instrumental among all the genres.)

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE

AW FEIN

Remember to *Stay Determined*!!
Magic Words to Repeat: Lla zngnieb Lief Nuhshomi Eethapmee Dnarg Tisakdaarb *Inmo*!

#694 Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Grinding Grinding Grinding! Gotta make sticky that Long bow I was finally Finding!
Edit: Spi-Der! (Raw-hide)
or "AW FEIN"

O.N.H.C. Put it on t-shirts, wear it, live it, love it.
Only Noobz Hit Civillians
facebook: Savage Worlds Ultra Multiverse(Especially for "JumpChain CYOA" Fans.)
discord: https://discord.gg/F958rUM
That one topic with the songs and stuff
Not my site, 'cuz I don't have one, but awesome nonetheless. Fightersgeneration.com
SoundCloud: Chris Martin 424(Electronic music, Dance Music, Classical, Rock, Chiptune, straight VGM, RetroWave, Synth, Funk, Lite, Mostly instrumental among all the genres.)

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE

AW FEIN

Remember to *Stay Determined*!!
Magic Words to Repeat: Lla zngnieb Lief Nuhshomi Eethapmee Dnarg Tisakdaarb *Inmo*!

#695 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

I've been putting in more time with Demon's Souls recently and I love it more and more. There are some drawbacks after playing the later games more, particularly with reference to movesets (they're generally less varied, and the lack of a plunging attack is killing me in so many places), and while it still looks good it does show it's age a bit. I have a few qualms with the general mechanics here and there, but after spending more face time with it I can see why it sits pretty high up on the charts for many people's rankings of the games, and I haven't even really put a LOT of time into the Shrine of Storms or Blighttown Beta. And holy HELL upgrades are rough in this game. Just having to amass the shards and stuff for each upgrade is "oof" inducing, but I've also been able to get my bastard sword and winged spear up to +8 without too much hassle. It just makes it so when I'm wanting to upgrade something like, say, my bow I find that I'm more apt to hang onto those smaller shards for upgrading the heavy hitters later.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#696 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Yay! Glad you're digging it. It's definitely rough around the edges, but it's cool.

I also think there's a benefit to its hub-design. While I prefer the Metroidvania inter-connectivity of Dark Souls 1, later Soulsbourne games try to meet halfway and I think something is lost. If you're going to have warping from the beginning, there's a bennefit to Demon's Soul's style where the designers didn't have to worry about transition areas and making things fit together. Each level has its own identity and you get to go spelunking deeper and deeper into those environments. 

#697 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, I don't mind the hub-style in DeS because it's not only set up that way from the get go, but it fits with the lore and the story as well. It does make it a bit more video-gamey, but that's not exactly a problem, considering I'm playing a video game. There's just as much obtuse NPC interaction as I was expecting, and I love that, and that it makes me want to play through again after I finish. I saved Yurt and then he tried to kill me (didn't put up much of a fight, to be honest) but I have a feeling that's some shit I could have avoided one way or another, especially since he said he'd killed people and I'm missing NPCs in the Nexus now. It's cool, though, I'll just do it over again later! It was nice to get some more armor, too. I was running the whole time with under 25% encumbrance because I was in DS mode, and then I looked up and saw that I only had to be under 50% for fast rolling, so I popped on the new armor (even with its slight stamina regeneration slowing, ugh) and it's all cool, especially after finding the ring that boosts my equip load (fuck you, dragon tail). Armor seems hard to come by in general. I haven't really found that many sets given that I've finished all of 2, half of 3, and 3/4 of 1.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

#698 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

that Gloom Armor tho...

My current armor set is the Gloom Chest armor, I think like, black leather leggings, the Three Pointed hat and maybe the Gloom gauntlets. My character looks like a bad ass Witch Warrior which is exactly what shit is build wise hahaha. I'll try and get a pic of her to post later

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

#699 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,890 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

My gf is digging her PS3 out of storage, and I got a copy of Demon Souls on the way, baybeeeee

toopunk2lose.png

#700 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

I got to play some more the other night and finished the Shrine of Storms. It was badass, a bit rough in parts, but once I figured out the pattern for running past everything after the adjudicator archstone it was a piece of cake. Nice to have a place to easily farm sticky white stuff! The King of the Storm was a piece of cake, though, had more trouble from all the manta ray dudes than I did from him. Then again, I just hung out behind that busted building near the beginning and plugged him with my bow until he died. It was only after that I found Storm Ruler (!) and realized I missed out on the origin of that wonderful gimmick weapon. It was really cool to see it and to see more of that DeS influence in DS3 that I missed before. I hacked my way through to Old King Allant... and then the fucker level drained me TWICE. I was absolutely not happy about that, but he doesn't seem that bad. Unfortunately it was getting late and I had to call it a night. Next time I'll polish off Boletaria and move on to finish Latria before going to Shadowmen. But I totally encountered Black Phantom Ostrava and I was sad! I don't know where I missed him or what I fucked up. :(

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

#701 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,890 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

I finally played a little bit of DeS the other night, and it's a little weird, coming from Dark Souls. At first blush, feels like a chinese phone-game rip off of Dark Souls. I'll give it an honest try soon, though.

toopunk2lose.png

#702 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

I finally played a little bit of DeS the other night, and it's a little weird, coming from Dark Souls. At first blush, feels like a chinese phone-game rip off of Dark Souls. I'll give it an honest try soon, though.

After you get in the groove a couple hours in and start sampling each of the different areas of the game, it starts to feel a whole lot better! You'll feel much more pimpy when you find a couple different pieces of armor and weapons to pick from. Be careful, you hit a weight limit after carrying too many items and have to stash them somewhere. Make sure to ditch duplicate items if you find something real cool, yet are over-encumbered.

tumblr_l0w3iatftU1qzylvvo1_400.gifPopful_Mail_(Sega_CD)_34.gif

#703 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,890 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

I did a little bit of this yesterday, and one major mechanical thing that sticks out to me, that's different from DaS, is that parrying/riposting doesn't make you invincible. It seems like you can still take damage after landing a successful P/R. 

toopunk2lose.png

#704 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

stock up on that good good grass

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

#705 the Wozz

the Wozz