251 replies to this topic

#46 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

if you need a quality home inspector, my uncle has been doing them for years and runs his own business. he comes very highly recommended. his website is at http://www.integrity...nspections.com/ that's him over to the right of the screen. look at that hat.. how could he not rule at inspecting things? B)
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#47 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

anyone have a good irrigation supply company they'd recommend?

#48 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

anyone have a good irrigation supply company they'd recommend?

How extensive? I did our drip irrigation at our place and it wasn't all that much work to run lines to the raised garden beds from the main spigot... If you're talking about lines for your whole lawn or something, that's a pretty gnarly job... Home depot has everything you could need. It's the perfect time of year to do, it, too. Nice and warm out.
I still don't have a signature.

#49 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

How extensive?

the irrigation is all set up for the property. we've got 3 valves that bring irrigation onto the front and back lawns pretty well. however, the valve covers are either broken or missing. plus, the concrete box on the corner (technically our property) doesn't have a proper slider to permit water though and allow it to be stopped. the smaller box we operate for our own irrigation doesnt have one either. irrigation is great but it's mostly managed by the residents so its up to you to make sure it's running properly and all the equipment is in line. people put up pieces of plywood to act as sliders. the main box on the corner is half full of rocks. i'd like to put a good metal grate over the top of it to keep shit from falling/being thrown in and also for safety's sake. from what i understand, it could be a bit pricey to bring everything up to what i would imagine is code. <_<

#50 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

How extensive?

the irrigation is all set up for the property. we've got 3 valves that bring irrigation onto the front and back lawns pretty well. however, the valve covers are either broken or missing. plus, the concrete box on the corner (technically our property) doesn't have a proper slider to permit water though and allow it to be stopped. the smaller box we operate for our own irrigation doesnt have one either. irrigation is great but it's mostly managed by the residents so its up to you to make sure it's running properly and all the equipment is in line. people put up pieces of plywood to act as sliders. the main box on the corner is half full of rocks. i'd like to put a good metal grate over the top of it to keep shit from falling/being thrown in and also for safety's sake. from what i understand, it could be a bit pricey to bring everything up to what i would imagine is code. <_<

Oh, FLOOD Irrigation! Gotcha. We just made ours out of sheet metal. But our valves already had little channels for the metal to slide into. If you don't have those...yikes. You can get sheets of metal from Home Depot or the like, and cut them with tin snips. I need to make a cover for my well, too. I was just gonna make it out of plywood and 2X4s so my kids can walk on them and not fall in.
I still don't have a signature.

#51 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Oh, FLOOD Irrigation! Gotcha. We just made ours out of sheet metal. But our valves already had little channels for the metal to slide into. If you don't have those...yikes. You can get sheets of metal from Home Depot or the like, and cut them with tin snips. I need to make a cover for my well, too. I was just gonna make it out of plywood and 2X4s so my kids can walk on them and not fall in.

we may go that route as well. (pun intended) i'm wondering what the likelihood of someone jacking a halfway-decent-made well cover would be. that'd suck to build one only to have someone come by and snatch it. i'm assuming no one in the neighborhood would do it since they'd be easy to spot. i guess my main concern is getting the pipe valve covers. i was told those run around $70 apiece. i'm still doing some research but it's hard finding supply companies and not companies who wanna come out and do our landscaping.

#52 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

There's a specialty shop on Indian School called Sprinkler World. We had some water system problems a few years ago. I figured out which parts were bad but couldn't track down a dealer. They had everything I needed and good advice too. Plus, their logo is awesome.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#53 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

You guys think buying is rough? Selling is WAY worse.

Apr 30th - signed contract. Price agreed. Verbal agreement to rent back to us until we find a new place. Closing date set for June 15th so they can get the tax credit that was expiring on the 30th.

May 10th - inspection, only a few things wrong, got 'em all fixed.

May 15th - appraiser. Appraises at value. Whoo!!

June 5th - Buyers renege on agreement to rent back to us. We have to scramble to be out by the 15th.

June 13th - We move out the very last of the stuff. Combo of a POD and storing stuff to the gills in my Mother-in-law's dining room.

June 14th - sign all our paperwork at title company.

June 15th - Buyers' loan company (Nova) decides they have a problem with the appraisal. We've moved out and signed all the papers... but the deal isn't done. New closing date, June 23rd.

June 21st - Nova throws out the original appraisal, PLUS a secondary one by another person which was the same as the original. Hires new company to do new appraisal. New value (with house empty) $7k less than agreed price. We think we have the buyers by the balls because they want that sweet tax credit. We tell them to find a new lender or pony up the extra cash. They call our bluff and walk.

Net result - missed a shitload of work moving out, spent a shitload on a POD, lived with my mother in law for a few weeks, all for nothing.

Current status - closed on the new place Monday. We now own two empty houses with two mortgages and live with my mother in law. At least we're moving in to the new place this weekend.

#54 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

There's a specialty shop on Indian School called Sprinkler World. We had some water system problems a few years ago. I figured out which parts were bad but couldn't track down a dealer. They had everything I needed and good advice too. Plus, their logo is awesome.

that is, indeed, a pretty sweet logo. thanks for the info. i'll try and check'em out saturday. i think most of the stuff i can manufacture on my own. but the valve covers and accompanying bolts i'll have to purchase.

#55 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

Current status - closed on the new place Monday. We now own two empty houses with two mortgages and live with my mother in law. At least we're moving in to the new place this weekend.

jesus shit dude.. that sucks. we actually had it way easy when it came to buying our house. i'm still waiting for something super bad to happen.. ha ha.. i'm actually hoping that a decade and a half of renting and having less-than-stellar roommates has built me up some sweet karma.

#56 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

here's the concrete cover for our irrigation well.. yes, that reads "May 25th, 1954." i think i'm gonna try and find a way to either affix it back together or keep it as two different pieces and just make sure the handles are bend back up so i can use it. way cooler than making something brand new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#57 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

here's the concrete cover for our irrigation well.. yes, that reads "May 25th, 1954." i think i'm gonna try and find a way to either affix it back together or keep it as two different pieces and just make sure the handles are bend back up so i can use it. way cooler than making something brand new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

that is rad, if anything make it like a headstone for your irrigation.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#58 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Home inspection today!

Fingers crossed!

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#59 larah

larah

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Good luck!

My duder and I are "officially" starting the process of looking for a house this week. I am really excited and yet, really nervous all at the same time. I've been hitting this thread up on the regular for tips and tricks. So, keep 'em comin', ladies and gents!

The only thing I didn't see here is first time home buyer grants/loans/what-have-you. My mom and dad had mentioned some thing that the state does if you buy in certain areas and then there is also some federal program that helps out first timers, too. Anyone use those programs or know anything about them? I want the best bang, you know what I mean?

#60 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

Good luck!

My duder and I are "officially" starting the process of looking for a house this week. I am really excited and yet, really nervous all at the same time. I've been hitting this thread up on the regular for tips and tricks. So, keep 'em comin', ladies and gents!

The only thing I didn't see here is first time home buyer grants/loans/what-have-you. My mom and dad had mentioned some thing that the state does if you buy in certain areas and then there is also some federal program that helps out first timers, too. Anyone use those programs or know anything about them? I want the best bang, you know what I mean?

Are you going to look in S Phx? If so, buy my house!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users