#61 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Good luck!

My duder and I are "officially" starting the process of looking for a house this week. I am really excited and yet, really nervous all at the same time. I've been hitting this thread up on the regular for tips and tricks. So, keep 'em comin', ladies and gents!

The only thing I didn't see here is first time home buyer grants/loans/what-have-you. My mom and dad had mentioned some thing that the state does if you buy in certain areas and then there is also some federal program that helps out first timers, too. Anyone use those programs or know anything about them? I want the best bang, you know what I mean?

Look up Neighborhood Housing Services of Phoenix. It's a non-profit that 1) hosts classes on the process of buying a house, 2) works with folks on financial fitness, and 3) sometimes is themeselves a lender. They're based on 14th St and McDowell, tons of good advice on general practices and specific grant/loan programs, with possible leads on rehab'ed homes.

#62 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

Good luck!

My duder and I are "officially" starting the process of looking for a house this week. I am really excited and yet, really nervous all at the same time. I've been hitting this thread up on the regular for tips and tricks. So, keep 'em comin', ladies and gents!

The only thing I didn't see here is first time home buyer grants/loans/what-have-you. My mom and dad had mentioned some thing that the state does if you buy in certain areas and then there is also some federal program that helps out first timers, too. Anyone use those programs or know anything about them? I want the best bang, you know what I mean?

Look up Neighborhood Housing Services of Phoenix. It's a non-profit that 1) hosts classes on the process of buying a house, 2) works with folks on financial fitness, and 3) sometimes is themeselves a lender. They're based on 14th St and McDowell, tons of good advice on general practices and specific grant/loan programs, with possible leads on rehab'ed homes.

word. and i'd also press your realtor and/or lender on items like this. part of their job is to understand those rules and help explain them to you.

and ignore johnmfer. you should buy MY house.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#63 larah

larah

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, guys. We will definitely look into that. We are going more towards short sales/foreclosures at this point. Want a mortgage less than our rent, etc., etc. We're starting with a realtor that we both feel good about, but shall see if she listens fully and discloses things we should know. I'm going to bring those things up in our meeting this week, skesis. I have been pushing to take the first time buyer class. I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

If we were looking in S. Phx, we would buy your house, John. However, we are looking in Arcadia...cause we've lived here 4+ years and love it...isn't your house in Arcadia, Tony?

#64 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

If we were looking in S. Phx, we would buy your house, John. However, we are looking in Arcadia...cause we've lived here 4+ years and love it...isn't your house in Arcadia, Tony?

i think "officially" the southern border of arcadia is thomas road, and we're just south of thomas and west of 44th street. same hood as fatguyaz and his goats*.

we took our house off the market a couple months back since we weren't getting offers in our range, so i guess technically speaking it's not really for sale. but if somebody makes an offer, who are we to ignore it?

* this really is pretty cool. his house is like a free petting zoo for the kids, plus you get fresh eggs and goats milk as long as you stay on his good side. and most of the houses have enough land to really do some kick ass gardening and whatnot.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#65 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

there is mos def some kick backs for buying a house up in sunnyslope, plus the 'slope needs more folk not into selling drugs and shooting guns in the middle of the night, you know, less me and more normal folk. sunnyslope is the new black is the old Portland if the former pink, get on it!
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#66 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

not in arcadia, but there are 4 houses on my street that are for sale, one is a foreclosure, we are in the fairview place neighborhood, 15th ave and mcdowell near encanto park

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#67 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

We wanted to live in Arcadia too but there was nothing that suited our needs and desires in our price range. We're pretty stoked with the new part of town we live in, I don't know what you call the area around cactus and the 51 but that's it.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#68 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

I don't know what you call the area around cactus and the 51 but that's it.

MFerville
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#69 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I don't know what you call the area around cactus and the 51 but that's it.

MFerville

well played.
I still don't have a signature.

#70 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

And thus, henceforth, this it shall be called.

I guess at some point we should have a housewarming party. So, you guys can all come up to MFerville and have a couple beers.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#71 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Is MFerville near BFE?
I still don't have a signature.

#72 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Inspection done. No water heater, A/C is some manner of fucked (thermostat is unresponsive, unit type doesn't match the hole)

Still, in spite of that - it's still pretty awesome.

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#73 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

We wanted to live in Arcadia too but there was nothing that suited our needs and desires in our price range. We're pretty stoked with the new part of town we live in, I don't know what you call the area around cactus and the 51 but that's it.

arizopolis
101 to shea 7th ave to scottsdale. Arizopolis.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#74 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Inspection done. No water heater, A/C is some manner of fucked (thermostat is unresponsive, unit type doesn't match the hole)

Still, in spite of that - it's still pretty awesome.

let me know if you need an AC guy. we had to have ours replaced this spring. it sucked and it was expensive, but he made it less sucky and cheaper.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#75 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

let me know if you need an AC guy. we had to have ours replaced this spring. it sucked and it was expensive, but he made it less sucky and cheaper.

just had to get our ac unit fixed this morning, 230 bucks, not bad, but i had hoped it was just a bad fuse.

nothing like waking up at 5 in the morning drenched in sweat

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users