34 replies to this topic

#16 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Oh yeah! Can't forget seeing Jenova Project there. That show was so fucking incredible!

#17 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

There are so many great shows I played or attended there.

Braid and Rainer Maria
Q and not U wiith Black Eyes
Milemarker and blood brothers was awesome because it was raining that night so everybody had to stay inside and watch my band. A lot of bummed out Blood Brothers fans
There was a Financial Panther show there where I broke my guitar and Matt broke his bass (both on accident) at the end of our set.
Ten Grand when they were still called the Vida Blue. Bullyrag played as the Orel Hershiser.
City of Caterpillar and Pg 99
Planes Mistaken for Stars each time. The one where they opened for the Ataris was the weirdest by far
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#18 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Ten Grand when they were still called the Vida Blue. Bullyrag played as the Orel Hershiser.

ha! found a flier for that when i was moving...
cross posted mine for the folks that dont read AZHC

first time at modified was WESLEY WILLIS, NUZZLE,and HER SPACE HOLIDAY in late 99. for a long time, i didnt like going to shows there because it was the old layout, where dancing and rowdiness were frowned upon and finger-wagged at.

that changed when i saw BLOOD BROTHERS, TRUE NORTH, RED LIGHT STING and a horrible local who used to play way too many shows that i wont give the benefit of naming in this space. shit was rowdy hipster fun. BB played at 12:15 on a sunday night in august 2001(2?) to a crowd of about 20 kids as most people started leaving.

i sang with a band for the first time there, when ready.set.die forced me to sing a SHARK ATTACK cover ('space invader' if you happen to be curious).

while crusties were fighting/ the RUNNAMUCKS were playing, one of my non-punk friends was drinking in the parking lot and trying to convince a homeless girl to blow him. classy.

i had a beer with Brendan from SLAPSTICK/LAWRENCE ARMS/FALCON/ BROADWAYS for the first (and maybe only?ohhh, trusty memory) there.

i had been going to shows for a decade, and not once had a band i liked played on my birthday...that changed when HOT CROSS (my favorite band at the time, and still an all-time favorite) did so. then the next night was VITAMIN X. amazing weekend, and probably the best back-to-back shows i can think of. i smashed my head into that damn column and then fell over. then billy from HOT CROSS told me to calm down...which as you may guess didnt work.

what about the RSD/NO SHIT tape release show with JESUS, FUCK THE SUN where like 150+ kids showed up for a thrash show?! man, that was weird and fun.

I DONT GIVE A FUCKs last show with all of the fire, small explosions and too much free booze was probably the most insane show i can think of. which may be due to the fact that 99% of the crowd was SHITFACED. i dont even want to think about how most people got home after that. insanity.

CUT THE SHIT and THE RITES when dan got them to change their tour and come to phoenix...but they could only play at 3 pm in the middle of the summer. THAT was an adventure. jesus.

when SATAN'S MONK got to play the Relapse tour and later with VITAMIN X, it was a pretty big deal for me to get to play one of my favorite rooms in town. shut up, dudes-who-have-played-there-100s-of-times.

LA QUIETE/PHOENIX BODIES was indeed one of the most fun, totally crazy emoviolence shows that ever happened there. coupled with that insane monsoon storm that night (that ripped the modified sign down and almost took my lady out when it flew down the alley), it was very memorable in a number of ways.

i could probably keep going for pages. loved that place. it will be missed as it changes, fingers crossed!
[img]http://http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr355/joedistort/rippedshirtvx.jpg[/img]

#19 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

i remember lucking into an opening slot for the sold out le tigre show. we told scott or whoever was booking that there were more girls in the band than there was and then we had to teach them a few songs. i remember stab city opening for erase errata and setting off the fire extinguishers. and now i'm an old man, so the last time i was there was for the bonnie 'prince' billy show, which was great for an old man like me.

maybe i'll give 'not one red light' a spin this weekend.

#20 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

i'll try to keep this short

- old man joe that pic was taken from the bluebird show which was memorable enough because it was during the craziest storm, i remember having to pull over on the 10 on my way to modified cuz i couldn't see 5 feet in front of me.
- sleepytime gorilla museum and skeleton key especially skeleton key i thought they were awesome, so much scrap metal. of course everytime SGM played it was always awesome/scary/weird
- we were lucky enough to open for the party of helicopters / mono. mono was so fucking loud, that made it memorable for sure
- both oxes shows were amazing.
- same goes for the paper chase they were always so powerful, 40 min set would fly by.
- opening for explosions in the sky was great, they were fucking loud as hell too.
- even though damon che is a cock monster, watching him drum for don cab was quite the sight
- this moment from one of the many IHYWYP shows really sticks out, phil got everybody to sit down, it was fucking hilarious everybody was into it.
- monotonix and aids wolf was absolute chaos,
- shizzfest 03
was just one big party with so many friends.
- eric singing jesus extract was unplanned yet completely fucking awesome.
- both volta do mar shows were so poorly attended which sucked for them but it was so intimate and they were such a ridiculously talented band that they completely blew me away both times

thx to christian for all of the amazing pics over the years

#21 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

One of the best shows we had with Meatwhistle was at Modified. Cutthroat freakshow was doing a flesh tug of war and people were getting naked and bloody. I think It was a Budget Sinatra show and I remember seeing Ben leave the building when the hooks went in the girl's backs, he looked like he was going to puke.

- both oxes shows were amazing.
- even though damon che is a cock monster, watching him drum for don cab was quite the sight

How could I have forgotten any of that?

Also, I don't remember which show it was but one time there was a dead body in the empty lot across the street.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#22 transonic

transonic

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

one of my favorite times was when lb called us up and was like what are you doing tonight and we were like, nothing, and she asks us if we would be interested in running the door for the show that night, and i was all, is it cool if we bring beer? and she said as long as you keep it out of site and in plastic cups, and we were like word. not sure who played.

also, that older gentleman that was at every show who moved to asia or something, he was always a great person. i am really bad with names

climbing the speakers before they tore the middle wall down to get photos of planes mistaken for stars

playing there in hfc with burke and fred doing vocals for us.

Mondegreen, or maybe we were the Haystacks then, played with hfc once at Modified.

My favorite show there was when Miranda July came and did her spoken word/multimedia performance. She shared the bill with Dub Narcotic Sound System and she and Calvin Johnson did their duet "Out of Your Mind" which is also the title of DNSS's best album. Miranda July would go on to make one of the better indie movies "Me, You and Everyone We Know" which spawned the famous "back n' forth forever" scene which is illustrated this way:

)) <> ((

Vetiver's show there earlier this year was special to me.
Be courageous. Be creative.

http://www.myspace.com/transonic
Posted Image

#23 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

yeah the first show i saw in downtown phx was at modified! It was a minibosses show

i drank some beer in the parking lot

i saw lots of bands, i can't even remember.....

Kimber let me set up my First Fridays mail art project called "the secretaries" there

oh one of my favorite memories is when John Vanderslice played outside in the parking lot after his show.
this was the show after his infamous show at Modified where he orderd a pizza and then he asked the audience to help tip the delivery guy and the pizzaman got like a $100 tip from the audience.

i wasn't at that show :(

but lots of you were:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFFhPHxMSQ

#24 TheFunkyMunks

TheFunkyMunks

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

The bosses after they got back from Mexico.
Something about the energy of that show really summed up the Modified for me.

Oh! And the Totally Rad! / IHYWYP / Osama bin SARS / Mr. Pacman / Minibosses show of the century...show.
That night was pretty amazing too.

I'm going to miss that place. But the Lost Leaf (I've only been twice) is starting to grow on me in a good way.
Although there were quite a few hipsters last time I went... :/

Edit: Someone just reminded me that there were a lot of scenesters at the Modified.
To which I replied "There were? I guess I never saw them because I was always up front, dancing to the music. I wasn't in the back keeping my hair straight."
-Chris Nash-
The Yoked Control

#25 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

too many great shows to mention really

but the most memorable was the one I mentioned in the newtimes, it was craaaaaazy!
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#26 lesl.

lesl.

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

I learned so much working that gig. Every single person I met is incredible in way or another, even the Dave Doughman, Swearing At Motorists guitarist who was a complete dick when he pulled in too early for set-up, by repeatedly bouncing his basketball on the outside wall and yelling until Jeff the tenant called me. Dave ended his show with profuse apologies.. then the Les Savy Fav manager who was trying to get me to admit his drummer was hurt when the disco ball fell on his head, finally I snapped out, it was probably the coolest thing to happen on tour... he then agreed.

oh well.. fodder for my deathbed huh?
Stay in is the new get out.

#27 Big_Poppa

Big_Poppa

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

The Shizzfest for the comp release was so much fun. Silver Fox sweated into many shirts that day.

Dismemberment Plan show had about 150 too many people in there. The show was in June or July and walking out into the 110 degree night was such a relief.

Rum Tenor played a show, maybe even a cd release show? On a rainy November night (que the Slash solo for November Rain ;)) Way too lightly attended but super awesome.

Budget Sinatra show with the back piercing tug 0' war. I thought Ben was going to hurl - that was pretty amazing.

Hold Steady with maybe 15-20 people in the room - Huskies got to open - fun show anyways - all of their publicity shots show them holding beers so we assumed they liked to drink - that night they didn't so the 4 of us drank about 3 cases worth of Tecates in the parking lot and had a grand ol' time (much love to Nat Bobby and Jeff).

Lots of Minibosses (shit they've played there 24 times!!)/Fatigo/Vin-Fiz/AAA/Necro/HFC/Guppy/Sweetstore/Colorbleeders other shizz pal band shows - Vin Fiz w/ Liberty School show before we left for Albuquerque later that night - Montoya heckling, what's new? Woody yelling "take off your shirt" at every show I've ever played there (actually, any show I've played anywhere).

Jenova Project - so good.

I hope to see you there tomorrow. I was there last night with my pals in Colorstore. It was an honor to play on of the last nights but it did make me a little sad, it made me very sad actually. The smell reminded me of Long Wongs which made me even more sad. Thank you for everything Kimber- I don't know anything about anything related to any drama surrounding that lovely little space on Roosevelt the last few years. For jealous reasons, I hate to think about having any less places to plug in and play but I guess I haven't been around much since Barton left anyways.

#28 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

I learned so much working that gig. Every single person I met is incredible in way or another, even the Dave Doughman, Swearing At Motorists guitarist who was a complete dick when he pulled in too early for set-up, by repeatedly bouncing his basketball on the outside wall and yelling until Jeff the tenant called me. Dave ended his show with profuse apologies.. then the Les Savy Fav manager who was trying to get me to admit his drummer was hurt when the disco ball fell on his head, finally I snapped out, it was probably the coolest thing to happen on tour... he then agreed.

oh well.. fodder for my deathbed huh?

No way! Those are awesome stories!

You were such an integral part to Modified that it's not even funny, LB.

Don't you dare get emo on us!

You done good!

#29 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

Good to see some familiar faces on Thursday night! Fatigo and Colorstore rocked the modified. Colorstore jokes are the best, though I still wanna hear Robin's.

I've seen so many good shows at Modified (& hey I even played one time there..)

Great shows include:
Elf Power
The Pernice Brothers
Magnolia Electric Company
Quasi
And Guppies Eat Their Young
Colorstore
Rum Tenor
Masters of The Universe
Marianne Dissard & Naim Amor
..many more i am forgetting

#30 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Miranda July would go on to make one of the better indie movies "Me, You and Everyone We Know" which spawned the famous "back n' forth forever" scene which is illustrated this way:

)) <> ((

forever.
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users