3475 replies to this topic

#3436 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:26 PM

OG DB is great! I need to start collecting it for my kid when he's ready.

The other day i was thinking about if i had a kid...what cartoons would i show them so i wouldn't be sick of watching it too. Dragon Ball is one of them...i should probably find those ghibli blue rays too. And adventure time

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#3437 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

I've been checking out late 80s/early 90s anime, mostly the extremely violent stuff because I didn't really watch it before and I am curious about it.

I looked up Mad Bull 34 and holy shit is it violent and misogynistic! I kind of wonder if it's supposed to be satirizing American cop films and the cops in general or what. I haven't watched a full OVA episode yet but the first 20 minutes or so...wow.

My only exposure to Mad Bull 34 before was a clip in a Manga preview. I remember that they're having a shoot out and mad bull drops his pants revealing a bunch of grenades hanging from his pubes. Which he proceeds to lob at the guys below.

Before that I was watching Angel Cop. More super violence and a very blatant anti-communist message. It really wasn't that interesting to watch.

#3438 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I watched BanG Dream and it was great!!! It's K-On but with more of "the struggle". You know...knowing that you're the weakest member of the band, or being one of the more talented members and wanting to consistently bring transcendent playing both to practices and to performances.

Highly recommend. Fair warning: second season is all CG and it takes 3 or 4 full episodes to get less jarring and weird to look at.

Currently I am watching My Girlfriend Is Shobitch, which is a shitty title, but it is fucking amazing. Pure adult humour intercut with legitimately wholesome romance. Also highly recommend.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#3439 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:53 AM

Bump

Finished Shobitch, it was perfect and I loved it.

Watched Comic Girls and it was so cute and charming and heartwarming and the horror mangaka is the best character get fucked if you disagree.

JUST NOW finished watching Anime-gataris. People talk a big game about Doki Doki Literature Club being the pinnacle of unexpected horror? Nuh-uh. Seriously, move over; there's nothing that game can do that I won't expect anymore. Anime-gataris CANNOT BE EXPLAINED to people who haven't seen it. It is not possible.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#3440 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

This is a thing that's happening, apparently.

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

Where does Mario poop in the airship? Behind his chair? In Cappy?

#3441 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

FUCK yes. It looks beautiful!!!

#3442 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Why didn't anyone grow in Evangelion? Why have these characters with these problems or issues that they never deal with or resolve? What a waste of time
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3443 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

Cop Craft sure went... places. I'm hoping this dumb cat arc resolves in the next ep because we're already on episode 8 lol. I feel like the animators only just barely tolerated working on this one so the animation also took a nosedive as a result.

#3444 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

I'm a huge fan of Uzumaki, can't wait for this

"This thing is vibrating like a $50 milkshake!"

#3445 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,174 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

Cop Craft sure went... places. I'm hoping this dumb cat arc resolves in the next ep because we're already on episode 8 lol. I feel like the animators only just barely tolerated working on this one so the animation also took a nosedive as a result.

This is another one I have to watch for work--DUMB AS FUCK.

toopunk2lose.png

#3446 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Hoooleee shit that was awesome

#3447 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

This is another one I have to watch for work--DUMB AS FUCK.

It's a shame because it's been so good up until this point

#3448 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

Why didn't anyone grow in Evangelion? Why have these characters with these problems or issues that they never deal with or resolve? What a waste of time

Are giant robots fighting each other to end the world with Beethoven's 9th blasting just not enough for you?

Pimps don't commit suicide

#3449 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

Are giant robots fighting each other to end the world with Beethoven's 9th blasting just not enough for you?

No, it's not. It turns out I need either likeable characters or characters that experience an arc or some growth -- or a downward spiral in certain cases. Gimme something. That's part of why I dislike Eva despite loving mecha anime. Also all the faux religious imagery the creator or director or somebody involved with production later admitted was only thrown in there because it seemed cool and has little to no actual meaning or depth. 

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#3450 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:28 AM

No, it's not. It turns out I need either likeable characters or characters that experience an arc or some growth -- or a downward spiral in certain cases. Gimme something. That's part of why I dislike Eva despite loving mecha anime. Also all the faux religious imagery the creator or director or somebody involved with production later admitted was only thrown in there because it seemed cool and has little to no actual meaning or depth. 

No depth like when the new kid turns out to be the last angel who's destiny is to destroy the world and end the age of man, and when the main character has to fight him to the death, this tragic final boss thanks him for defeating him because he had no choice but to try to initiate the apocalypse and wished humanity was strong enough to stop him?  Is that a bland run of the mill villain we've all seen a thousand times in say, Dragon Ball Z, or whatever?  Then there's always Aska's descent into madness, if you want a downward spiral.

I can see how many characters stay the same, and some are unlikable (Shinji is so cowardly it's annoying, etc.), but I think to say there's no depth or change or even downward spiral is more than a bit untenable.  This is particularly offensive to me because most anime is unwatchable infantile bullshit, but Evangelion is one of the few animes with enough depth that I could actually enjoy it.  I'd be interested in hearing what anime you consider to have great depth?

Pimps don't commit suicide

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users