3048 replies to this topic

#16 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

So to hell with picking a favourite, enjoy them all and lead a happier life.

:wub:

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#17 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,332 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Is anyone else a little disappointed that the movie is never going to see the light of day (pun kinda intended)?
Edit: Wow, apparently it's set to be released next year.

I gotta mention how awesome this week in Shizztory has been so far. Lots of nostalgic chatter between N64, DKC, CV and more. :wub:

giphy.gif

#18 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

Also I guess I might as well post this here now, since it'll probably never get finished.

I spent a good portion of last summer working on a Castlevania 3 level edit, using the editor ReVamp, which is actually a pretty neat program. The first three levels are more or less done, though this always changed because as I'd learn how to use the program more and more I'd go back and change things I'd done before. It's nothing amazing, and it is NOT a hack, just kind of a remix of the CV3 experience. If you want to check it out, here it is: http://wizwars.good-...MP3/cv3hack.nes

Like I said, only the first three levels are 'finished', meaning each area in those levels is at least slightly different from the original game. I started work on the pirate ship but never finished it. I think I also did a couple of later levels but I can't remember which ones, those will probably really look like shit because they were among some of the first I edited.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#19 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Medusa heads are pretty easy. Just watch them and time your response. They only have like two or three patterns I think, with some practice you'll figure out the timing so that you can just march through and have them fly above or under you, or jump over them. To me, it's usually not worth it to try to kill them.

Well, at least I know that killing them isn't worth it! :D;; However, dodging them is very difficult for me, at least right now it is. Let's say I enter from the right and heads starting spawn from the left: if I travel too far or too little, I'll be right in its path and can't jump or duck to dodge it. So, let's say that I'm in that situation, but I don't want to get hit, so I run to the right so the Medusa can continue its pattern and I can then jump over it or duck under it, however, now a Medusa head has spawned from the right, so I run to the left to avoid it and then a Medusa head spawns from the left as well! Now I have two Medusa heads on my tail and I practically panic!

So, uh, how would you go about avoiding that catastrophe? :lol: I can never seem to get it right.

Also you can use the Medusa heads to your advantage at times. There is a room in level 2 of CV1 where you enter from below and there are a bunch of platforms you have to jump across to get to the ones up top. Normally you'd go left to right, and then back left on the higher bunch of platforms. Fuck that. Go to like the third or fourth platform (can't remember which, but it's obvious), and time your jump so that a Medusa hits you and knocks you to the top platform. There is a turkey leg in the next room anyway. Little things like that.

Fascinating... Thanks for the tip!

Also, what do the items on Level 1 of CV1 do? I've tried to use them, but some of them don't seem to activate... Did the instruction manual explain what they were and what their effects were? I'd like to look the items up in a walkthrough, but only if they were included in the manual, otherwise it'll feel like I'm cheating.

#20 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well, at least I know that killing them isn't worth it! :D;; However, dodging them is very difficult for me, at least right now it is. Let's say I enter from the right and heads starting spawn from the left: if I travel too far or too little, I'll be right in its path and can't jump or duck to dodge it. So, let's say that I'm in that situation, but I don't want to get hit, so I run to the right so the Medusa can continue its pattern and I can then jump over it or duck under it, however, now a Medusa head has spawned from the right, so I run to the left to avoid it and then a Medusa head spawns from the left as well! Now I have two Medusa heads on my tail and I practically panic!

So, uh, how would you go about avoiding that catastrophe? :lol: I can never seem to get it right.

Simple, don't get stuck. Like I said, a lot of times you can just keep walking and the medusa head will fly over or under you. Most the times that the medusa heads fuck you over (in the NES games anyway) is because you're worried about them fucking you over. You just have to play more and figure out the timing.

Also, what do the items on Level 1 of CV1 do? I've tried to use them, but some of them don't seem to activate... Did the instruction manual explain what they were and what their effects were? I'd like to look the items up in a walkthrough, but only if they were included in the manual, otherwise it'll feel like I'm cheating.

The items? You mean like, the weapons? Press up and attack, dude.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#21 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

Is anyone else a little disappointed that the movie is never going to see the light of day (pun kinda intended)?

I gotta mention how awesome this week in Shizztory has been so far. Lots of nostalgic chatter between N64, DKC, CV and more. :wub:

Oh man, I read the script at some point last year. Unless it gets a page one overhaul it's gonna be a real snoozer (no surprise).

Read my comic: BIG DUMB FIGHTING IDIOTS!

#22 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Simple, don't get stuck. Like I said, a lot of times you can just keep walking and the medusa head will fly over or under you. Most the times that the medusa heads fuck you over (in the NES games anyway) is because you're worried about them fucking you over. You just have to play more and figure out the timing.

Yeah, I think I see what you're talking about!

The items? You mean like, the weapons? Press up and attack, dude.

THANK YOU. Seriously, I had no clue.

I almost beat Level 2 on CV1 because of your help, Wizwars! :D I've never gotten to the insta-kill red-spike-squisher traps before, and if it weren't for Mass Effect 2 (from now until Friday) and DKC1 (on Friday), I'd be playing this!

I think finding secret food hidden EVERYWHERE really helps, too.

#23 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

II: Simon's Quest then Super IV.

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#24 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

Nario: you really didn't know how to use the weapons? I assumed you were talking about items like the multipliers.

#25 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

They already released it, just retitled as Van Helsing ;)

I have more faith in the animated movie that has been in the works for years now. CV as a full Hollywood film will probably suck (pun kinda intended).

I really like CVII and SotN.. generally the Metroidvania style interests me more than the old school sidescrollers.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#26 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

While I'm here, the best DS game by far is Dawn of Sorrow imo.

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#27 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Nario: you really didn't know how to use the weapons? I assumed you were talking about items like the multipliers.

Really. CV1 never told me how to, I don't have an instruction manual for the game, and I didn't want to look up what the items did in a walkthrough. I tried pressing Select, A+Select, and B+Select, but nothing worked, obviously. Up+Attack did the trick, although it seems like there's a Charge Rate to it, because I'd keep attacking while holding up but my whip would come out for a few seconds, but then the special weapon would work again a few seconds later.

Also, the blue potion doesn't seem to be very good on Level 1's boss, but I've heard that it pretty much kills the final boss in CV2, so I'll keep this in mind if I ever see a stationary boss in the future. :)

#28 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

That's wild, dude. I just figured at some point you would end up accidentally hitting up+B and it would be a pleasant but weird surprise like the first time jizz ever squirted out of your dick.

#29 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

That's wild, dude. I just figured at some point you would end up accidentally hitting up+B and it would be a pleasant but weird surprise like the first time jizz ever squirted out of your dick.

Yeah, about once every five minutes, but I'd never know what triggered it. I'd only made it to the pits on Level 2 anyways, for I'd either Game Over or give up there, so I never got far enough to be given the option to press Up+Attack a plethora of times.

#30 jesse

jesse

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Also, the blue potion doesn't seem to be very good on Level 1's boss, but I've heard that it pretty much kills the final boss in CV2, so I'll keep this in mind if I ever see a stationary boss in the future. :)

blue potion??

that's holy water, yo!
I LOVE NINJA GAYDEN KILL YOURSELF!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users