VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:06 AM

As long as we’re at the point of name calling, I’m happy. -_-

https://goo.gl/images/WqVJJ7

Seriously, though, for Season 1, sure. They had no idea how successful it would be or how much money to pour into it. After it was released, all they did was talk about how amazing the response was and greenlit another season right away. Instead of upping the quality, they extended the length of the show from 6 to 8 eps. There was a whole lot of nothing happening until ep 7.

I’m just saying it’s easier to market “more episodes!” and make people feel like they’re getting an improvement. I feel it was lazy since they emphasized quantity over quality. My opinion, of course, and I’m not trying to tell you to not enjoy it. I’m irritated at what I feel was another wasted opportunity.

Then again, I don’t give much of a shit. It bugged me, but Evangelion is coming to Netflix next month so I don’t have to worry about it.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#3047 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

As long as we’re at the point of name calling, I’m happy. -_-

https://goo.gl/images/WqVJJ7

Seriously, though, for Season 1, sure. They had no idea how successful it would be or how much money to pour into it. After it was released, all they did was talk about how amazing the response was and greenlit another season right away. Instead of upping the quality, they extended the length of the show from 6 to 8 eps. There was a whole lot of nothing happening until ep 7.

I’m just saying it’s easier to market “more episodes!” and make people feel like they’re getting an improvement. I feel it was lazy since they emphasized quantity over quality. My opinion, of course, and I’m not trying to tell you to not enjoy it. I’m irritated at what I feel was another wasted opportunity.

Then again, I don’t give much of a shit. It bugged me, but Evangelion is coming to Netflix next month so I don’t have to worry about it.

If my comment of ignorant and misguided addressed to those who say that a bunch of animators is lazy rubbed you the wrong way, then I suggest you look into the amount of work is required to create an animated show. Again, I said that any criticism of the show is fine, just that using the word lazy is wrong and inaccurate. 

From the sound of it, it looks like that Powerhouse Animation had about a year to create season 2. Season 2 was apparently greenlit the day season 1 debuted, so that really doesn't give a lot of time to create a show. 

#3048 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

I don't know dudes, the animation in this show looks bottom tier. Stylistically it's ugly and in terms of animation quality it's severely lacking, I'm with tibone on the OVA deal, it's not a weekly show that needs to meet a very strict deadline and has to cut corners, so there's no excuse for it, but I'd sooner call it underfunded than lazy.

amTr0fm.png

#3049 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

From the sound of it, it looks like that Powerhouse Animation had about a year to create season 2. Season 2 was apparently greenlit the day season 1 debuted, so that really doesn't give a lot of time to create a show.

This is the same studio that released The Banner Saga, which I have to imagine might have been one of the reasons they were chosen since the game's cinematic look a lot like what we're seeing in the CV series. Lots of pretty environmental scenes and fighting sequences, but roughshod everywhere else. This might be passable for game and tv commercial cinematics like Powerhouse is used to, but an entire animated series?

If that's a budget issue (ie. Powerhouse was the most cost-effective choice for them), then okay. I'm still going to criticize it but for different reasons than blaming it on time constraints, and now that the first 2 seasons were successful and have better budget, I will expect higher quality going forward. Blaming it on time constraints alone is dumb unless they were locked in by Konami to release the second season alongside Requiem, because otherwise they could have taken an extra month or two and still been able to benefit from the game release's high if that was their goal. (and if not, then I can't see a good reason it couldn't be pushed longer if it meant improved quality)

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3050 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

This is the same studio that released The Banner Saga, which I have to imagine might have been one of the reasons they were chosen since the game's cinematic look a lot like what we're seeing in the CV series. Lots of pretty environmental scenes and fighting sequences, but roughshod everywhere else. This might be passable for game and tv commercial cinematics like Powerhouse is used to, but an entire animated series?

If that's a budget issue (ie. Powerhouse was the most cost-effective choice for them), then okay. I'm still going to criticize it but for different reasons than blaming it on time constraints, and now that the first 2 seasons were successful and have better budget, I will expect higher quality going forward. Blaming it on time constraints alone is dumb unless they were locked in by Konami to release the second season alongside Requiem, because otherwise they could have taken an extra month or two and still been able to benefit from the game release's high if that was their goal. (and if not, then I can't see a good reason it couldn't be pushed longer if it meant improved quality)

Time constraints is a very valid reason. It could have been Konami giving them a deadline or more than likely Netflix. 

The work they did on Banner Saga was amazing but they had over two years to work on it. And since it was a game with a fixed camera, they didn't have to worry about being cinematic except during cut scenes. Commercials are smaller production endeavors. They effectively doubled their episode run and had to complete it within a year or so. I'm sure there was some preproduction work done but I doubt it gave them a lot of additional time.

Calling it an OVA rather than an animated weekly series doesn't make much of a difference either. The budgets and time frame would be comparable. Call it an OVA if you want. 

I'll say this about the art direction, I'm not a fan of textures given to the creatures. It makes the creatures look more flat than they should. 

#3051 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,780 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

Cross-posted because you're all a bunch of whiners:

https://yoannturpin....stle-variations

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#3052 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

Oh fuck yes

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#3053 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

I’m playing castlevania IV and I still h8 it. But I’m going to finish it god dammit so I can finally do Dracula X and the real Rondo.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3054 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

Woah... So you actually dislike Castlevania IV? I don't know everyone around here well enough to know if it's some kind of inside joke.

#3055 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:57 PM

I’m bad at turning feelings into words but it rubs me all kinds of wrong
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3056 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

Playing through Rondo into SotN in quick succession is regrettably something I’ve put off until very recently. So many references in the backgrounds and castle layouts that I have overlooked for years 😑

shitty is now.

#3057 lermpy

lermpy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

IV is my favorite CV and I've been lead to believe that makes me a bad person

B1utVQgCEAMnDs2.png

#3058 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

This is just legitimately the first time in my life that I've ever heard of somebody not liking Castlevania IV.

That idea of playing through Rondo of Blood followed immediately by Symphony of the Night sounds amazing. I definitely need to try that after my crazy work season dies down.

#3059 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,780 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:15 PM

Mods, please ban kareshi.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#3060 poizon74

poizon74

Shizz Captain