3351 replies to this topic

#3316 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

That would make sense if it turned out to be kinda rushed. Overall, I like it, but it's not my favorite rygarmania for sure.

toopunk2lose.png

#3317 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, it will always feel confined by the GBA's lack of pixels and squarish screen dimensions if nothing else.

And I keep seeing that word, rygarmania... (googles... ) oh right.

#3318 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

The SotN experience to me:

-getting lost for an hour or so until I give myself a pass to check a walkthrough > check walkthrough > feel like a bonehead.

-play a boss over a dozen times until I can beat them with execution only because I am too lazy to travel back for any potions or food.

-Dream Theater tracks

Ritual of the Night gave me all of those things, handily. Finished it last week. Will probably go after more trophies after a little break..

shitty is now.

#3319 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:36 PM

I cleared it tonight. It's definitely the most IgaVania game since the DS games. I don't think it's actually as good as most of those, but it feels very satisfying to play given we haven't had a new CV in so long. I was definitely worn out on the CV games by the end of the DS. I'll probably seek out a few more achievements, but I sincerely doubt I'm going to grind to get all the items.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#3320 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:26 AM

lol @ the secret boss:

Spoiler

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#3321 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

After 18 years or so, I finally finished the last secret mode in CotM.  The other modes ended with a post-credits screen giving you the password to the next mode.  This one had a quick message about how you beat all the modes (I wish I had taken a picture; the English wasn't the best and was mildly humorous).  The hardest part of thief mode was probably the first two bosses.  After that, you've got so many items and cards at your disposal due to your massive luck stat that it's not too hard to put together a winning combination of gear or farm a few potions.  It would be a fair bit harder if you made heart/health replenish items off limits.

So far, Harmony of Dissonance is living up to its poor reputation.  It's still enjoyable, but feels like a big step back in many respects.  In CotM, the ability to double tap and run gives you the ability to jump past many annoying enemies and has a great platforming feel to it, much like running in a Super Mario Bros game.  HoD dials you back to standard Igavania speed, but the way the whip modifies your momentum when used in the air has a very poor feel to it and it makes attacking the many airborne enemies feel artificially cumbersome.  Many enemies retreat faster than you can run forward which forces you to use the forward dash to catch and attack them (most Igavania games only have a back dash; this one uses L and R for back and forward). The game has an elemental system where you can swap out different items and books to optimize your attacks, but it's so easy that it's rarely necessary to bother.  I've always liked the music, but the graphics aged very poorly.  The graphics were made oversaturated and bright to accommodate the dark GBA screen (a problem for CotM), but now that everyone has ditched the old model GBA, the game is doomed to eternally look washed out while CotM looks good.  It's a shame as it has much better use of layers and special effects.

#3322 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

was doing sotn and had a Ring of Arcana and all Alucart equipment, still took 250 Schmoos to get my Crissaegrim. Then later with two Rings and regular equipment it took 3 minutes to get two Heaven Swords.
I like this early Mist thing, it'll probably be my way to go from now on.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3323 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:08 PM

Got a new video on more CV references on Bloodstained. One's a real deep cut.

Zangetsu-mode is supposedly dropping in August sometime, so I'm looking forward to going through that soon. Sounds like they've been trying to clean up the Switch version more and more with each update too.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3324 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

I think I caught most of your references with my first play through on your first vid. This one tho, I don’t think I caught any of them. Well, the castle-flip which I assume was just an omission. Very nice work!

shitty is now.

#3325 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

I finished HoD and started Aria of Sorrow.  It's amazing how much better produced this game is.  I still think I like Circle of the Moon more for its gameplay despite the better art and music.  Still, Aria is definitely super smooth and extremely enjoyable to replay.  Since my game room is still in shambles, I may replay all the GBA/DS vanias before moving on to Bloodstained.

#3326 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Finished the CV Classic Collection. Now I need to pick back up wherever I left off in Dawn of Sorrow.

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#3327 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

Finished Aria... I was actually playing on hard mode, it doesn't make the game that much harder though Death was a real pain in the ass, and I said F the last boss and just loaded my 100%ed normal mode file to beat him.  I'm not about to grind levels and the GBA SP screen is so tiny I can barely see it.

I started up Dawn of Sorrow... I thought I was going to play on the luxurious 3DS XL, but the scaling looks like ass and without the benefit of scaling, the image is smaller than the DSi.  My DSi was criminally underused and now that I'm playing on it, it's a really elegant little system.  Almost certainly the best way to play DS games.  I don't like having an "OS", but this one at least boots and shuts down super quick, unlike the 3DS.  I'll have to try Contra 4 to see if the d-pad is any good.

Anyway, the storyline in DoS just gets weirder and weirder and it was already a little weird in Aria.  The game itself is excellent with a good selection of well balanced weapons.  Dracula's Tears is just the best song ever... shame that area isn't one that you have to repeatedly travel through.

#3328 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

Anyway, the storyline in DoS just gets weirder and weirder and it was already a little weird in Aria.  The game itself is excellent with a good selection of well balanced weapons.  Dracula's Tears is just the best song ever... shame that area isn't one that you have to repeatedly travel through.

Yeah, the story and lore are bonkers, but no less so than Aria. The soundtrack is solid, "Subterranean Hell" and their arrangement of Haunted Castle's "Basement Melodies" are probably my favorite.

Dawn, more than Aria, cemented my odd love of grinding for items/souls. I remember sitting in the common area in college spending a solid hour trying to collect just two Valkyrie souls (one for 100% souls, and one for weapon synthesis). Seal gimmick was bogus tho.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3329 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Yes, the seal gimmick was incredibly lame. Everyone was trying to force some stylus use into their games in the early days.

At the time this came out, I was doing homebrew DS development and trying to do the same thing, but rather than a gimmick I was trying to do something that would enable a type of gameplay that wouldn't really be possible without a stylus.  I had an idea for a -vania style game in which you always had the stylus in your hand.  So for platforming, you would use the d-pad and either L or up for jumping and the stylus would have been for attacks or casting spells.  I never got far enough to test it, but if jumping with L or up sucked too badly, I was considering circumventing the need for a jump button by switching to either a Zelda style game or a side-scrolling game where the character simply floated in the air like Magneto or something).

I was going to keep it as old school as possible by having you tap either the left or right side of the touch screen to attack in front of or behind you (rather than needing to tap enemies directly which would have been lame).  I would have made a variety of spells that you would cast by drawing a rune on the screen, and maybe those would have allowed more free-form stylus use to target enemies, but limited by magic points.

I actually programmed a working rune parser, a demo with scrolling backgrounds and a non-animated sprite (and not to mention a behind the scenes level design tool)... and then just kinda burned out on it due to an intractable bug in the program.  Last thing I did was made a tetris-clone type game and then gave up on DS programming.  Fun times.  The game probably would have sucked in the end... even though I think it was a better use of the stylus in an action game than I'd ever seen made.  Action games are always going to be better when you have your hands on real buttons and you could have implemented some version of my gameplay ideas with normal buttons.

#3330 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

Am I the only one who thought that the magic seals in Dawn of Sorrow were actually pretty neat?  I'm prepared to take this to the controversial opinions thread.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users